“Stick with the Old and forget the New. It was better!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Vernon Restaurant

Mount Vernon Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 822 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, Alabama
“Stick with the Old and forget the New. It was better!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I'm surprised I could not find the Mt. Vernon Restaurant listed with Tripadvisor. It has been a tradition with families in Chattanooga for years. My partner and I started going to the Mt. Vernon Restaurant about 9 or 10 years ago when we would visit Chattanooga. It was always such a delight to dine there in the evenings. It featured a wonderful and expansive menu with several seafood dishes, variety of steaks, chicken dishes and wonderful side items. Their signature pie is an almond cream pie. Out of this world!!! Thank goodness it still remains on the "new menu".
It had been a few years since I had been in Chattanooga, but I knew exactly where I would head for dinner while there; Mt. Vernon Restaurant. Arriving there I could almost immediately note a difference in the appearance of the lobby. The period sofa looked tired and worn out and no longer were there the fake restaurant featured deserts sitting on the buffet. We were seated in a room where we almost always dined in. Gone were the pretty blue and white oriental vases and accents, the pretty Chippendale brass chandeliers and the carpet. In their place was a concrete floor painted a grayish color, never mind taking time to do a faux finish or anything, stark walls with mediocre accents and lighting fixtures that don't even merit describing. It was just so bland. Once seated I was given a menu, which when I opened it, had a very limited dinner choice. Gone was the wonderful variety to pick from and one of my favorites, crab cakes.
Our waitress, Blakelee, was such a delight. She told us she normally was the manager, but because they were short staffed that evening, she was filling in. I commented on the drastic change of the décor and she stated the couple who owned it were retiring and handing the business over to their daughter. The daughter appears to be the reason for the changes. I ask Blakelee if the locals were upset with the changes and especially the menu. She told me exactly what I knew she would; yes, like me they were not pleased. I ordered the fried shrimp, still longing for those delicious crab cakes, and my partner order one of the few seafood dishes, sautéed fish. Both our dinners were very good, which I would have been most upset had they not been. Thankfully their chef is still around and does a good job in preparing the dishes.
There are other dining room areas about the restaurant and most appeared much as they were. I have no doubt they will soon fall prey to the terrible décor of which our room reeked of. I truly wish the family would give more consideration to the changes they are doing. For me, other than the food, the place just lacks the quaintness and charm it held before. We could not have ask for a better server than Blakelee. without her and the delicious food we par took of, the entire evening for me would have been bad. Who says one's surrounding do not affect their appetite? In my book, when you are dining out and pay a nice price for dinner and wine, it should be in comfortable, conducive and pleasing surroundings. To think otherwise one may as well dine at McDonald's.
We left the restaurant that evening feeling sad. We both could see where all the wonderful things and memories this place has held for its patrons these many years is headed. We wish the daughter luck with her new vision, but for us we won't be so eager to dine at the Mt. Vernon Restaurant as we have so many visits before to Chattanooga. We did however did have a slice of their famous almond cream pie before we left, and yes, it was fabulous as always!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Michael G

Atlanta, Georgia
“Melt-in-your-Mouth Chicken Livers?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Whoever heard of melt-in-your-mouth chicken livers? I never had, not until last night that is, when my brother and I both had them at Mount Vernon. Now don't go looking for this description on their menu. They're just modestly described at the top of the restaurant's list of Signature Dishes as "Chicken Livers", but believe me, they really do melt in your mouth. And I think I know why! They're fresh as fresh can be and perfectly prepared, fried just enough to have a little crispiness on the outside while remaining juicy and tender, and I would have to describe their flavor as RICH to the point of being downright intense. So don't try these if you don't really like chicken livers. They're not breaded here, and there's no gravy served over them either! That would be a sin, maybe even against the law. You could get shot for it! And the array of wonderfully prepared comfort-food side dishes is amazing. My brother had collard greens and pinto beans and raved about both, and I had quintessentially southern green beans (that means they started cooking them while I was still asleep the night before) and a squash casserole that had that great cheesy and crusty mix, like a pastry made with squash! I love this stuff! By the way, you don't have to be a chicken liver fan to have a great meal here. My wife loves their Haddock, and so do I. And their fried chicken has been a famous favorite of Chattanoogans for generations. In case you didn't know it already, this place has been here forever. It's older than my brother, and he's really old! I'm sure it'll still be there when you give it a try. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2014
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Not even OK...definitely didn't match the hype!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stopped here for lunch after visiting several Lookout Mountain attractions. The parking lot was almost empty and we almost didn't stop, but the reviews on Trip Advisor gave it 4 stars so we decided to risk it.

When we walked in there was a young man on the telephone talking to someone about a to go order. He did not even acknowledge that we were standing there. There was also a woman standing near the front, either a waitress or a hostess (not really sure which), who appeared to be in a daze. She didn't seem to notice our presence either. She walked right by us and went to a table and started chitchatting. It wasn't that busy. There were maybe six to eight tables seated and had more servers than customers. I turned and was about to leave when another server walked up and asked how many. We decided to stay and wished we hadn't.

We asked for a booth and were told there were none available even though we saw several empty ones. We were advised that they were reserved and were seated at a table that wobbled. Our server was pleasant enough and was quick to take our order. We both decided on vegetable plates as they seemed to have a large variety to choose from ($11 for 4 vegetables or $13 for three vegetables and a side salad). My husband selected collard greens, squash casserole, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I chose mashed potatoes (gravy was not offered), sweet potato casserole, broccoli salad and a side salad.

The food came out quickly and that was the last time we saw our server until she came back to ask if we wanted dessert after we had completely finished with the meal.

The food was very bland (no flavor at all). The mashed potatoes were dry and had no gravy nor did they offer any butter. The squash casserole was cold, the greens and beans had no seasoning whatsoever, and the broccoli salad was two long but strangly pieces of broccoli with a restraining and onions smothered in a runny mayonnaise based dressing. The broccoli was so rubbery that I couldn't even cut through it (well not without the table rocking back and forth anyway). The salad that tacked an additional $2 price tag was a bowl of mixed lettuce with a teaspoon of grated carrots, a teaspoon of shredded cheese, and two small strips each of red onion and bell pepper. It was actually the best part of the entire meal.

The only dish that had any flavor at all was the sweet potato casserole, and it was SO overseasoned with allspice that you couldn't taste anything else. It was horrible.

We were not at all impressed and would not recommend it, nor would we go back.

3 Thank Regina M
Ooltewah, TN
“Food Good, Service POOR”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Tried Mr. Vernon again on Saturday Night. I usually eat here for lunch, with friends from work. Food was good as usual, (Chicken Salad and Fruit) but the night crew service was really lacking. Barbara was interested in anything but waiting on her customers. Our son manages a local food business, and commented her actions demanded a stern review from the leaders... So try Mt. Vernon, but I would avoid the night meal in favor of normally attentive customer care
during the day. Billooltewah

1 Thank Billooltewah
Chicago, Illinois
“Sorry....not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were on an overnight stopover enroute from Florida to Chicago and the check-in agent at the Hampton Suites recommended the Mount Vernon Restaurant...a nice diversion from fast food chains and Cracker Barrels. We ordered the night's special which was roasted chicken and dressing including your choice of two sides. There was random pieces of chicken and bones and was disappointing. The booth behind ours returned one of their dishes and we shared our experiences at our hotel breakfast the following morning...and they were not impressed either.
The waitress was very pleasant...told us everything was homemade and that it was a family business....but sorry to say our experience was not good. Perhaps we made a bad menu choice and I wish them well....but I cannot recommend the restaurant in good conscience.

1 Thank 708Barbara