“Creative & inventive twists on simple flavors!”
Review of Terra Mae

Terra Mae
Reserve with OpenTable
Terra Mae is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 854 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th & Columbia
Transit: 10th & Market
Description: It starts with the freshest local ingredients from nearby farms, transformed by Chef Shelly D. Cooper into dishes that are both familiar and brand new. This isn't the high Southern cooking you might see in movies like The Help. This isn't low country cooking. It's inspired by the local fare eaten in the Southern Appalachians for centuries, a cuisine born from a deep love of the land.From steaks to scallops, from chowchow to country ham, from barbecue duck to biscuits, from hills and hollers to the coast, TerraMae's menus are firmly rooted in regional traditions with a contemporary twist. Some of our ingredients are unexpected to those who have forgotten or never experienced the practical magic of Appalachian foodways. Whether you come for dinner, lunch, or brunch, you're sure to rediscover the delight of truly local food. TerraMae is a perfect location for large groups and private dining experiences.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Since the Stone Fort Inn was one of my favorite places to stay when I traveled to Chattanooga for business, I decided to join two friends for dinner at Terra Mae. I started with the Ship of Fools cocktail and it was simply delightful! From there, I forayed into one of the most delightful summer gazpacho soups I have ever tasted. It was robust and full of good garlic, tomato and pepper flavor. My entree was the halibut served over angel hair with cherry tomatoes, chopped snap peas and mandarin oranges. I thought the fish was cooked perfectly and I liked the vegetables. What was odd was the sauce; it was supposed to be a white wine and citrus broth but it appeared to have cream or milk within. Not a show stopper, by any means, it just wasn't what I expected. I did enjoy the Sufferin' Succotash side, it was very flavorful and well seasoned. Overall, I think this is a hidden delight in Chattanooga and should certainly be considered!

1  Thank InternationalBanker

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went here on a Sunday morning for my mother's birthday, and it was a wonderful experience. The decor is beautiful, the staff was extremely friendly, and the food was incredibly delicious. We had pastries, cream cheese and peach-stuffed french toast, and bottomless mimosas! I will definitely be returning here!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

How refreshing to see truly local food in a town that often only follows the local trends. Not only does Terramae source its food from nearby farmers, it pays fine dining homage to regional cooking often overlooked by other foodies. It's exciting and the real meaning of farm to table.

Other than being enamored with the concept, the actual food follows through. I eat out a lot and love many restaurants in Chattanooga, but TerraMae provided something different both in menu and in quality. They pull of their quirk with well-prepared dishes that are spot on. I've eaten here several times and never been disappointed, whether it's something basic like bacon or unusual like pickled shrimp. As a former vegetarian, this is the only restaurant that has served me a meat dish that has made me think "Geeze, I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't eat meat." The osso bucco that Chef Shelley prepares is truly a revelation, especially for someone who doesn't revere meat.

The drinks are impeccable and unique. The bartender dresses the part, charms the customers, and provides some of the best mixology in town. His flavor pairings are inventive and inspirational, and definitely delicious. Who knew you could make an awesome drink inspired by beets? The carrot margarita that was featured as part of the Farmers Market Happy Hour was also a fun treat.

The service has evolved over the several meals I've had to find a comfortable balance between casual and fine dining that feels both refined and special yet unpretentious. I appreciate the top-of-the-trend decor. It makes Terramae stand out in a small town and feel like it's really on the top of its game. Between the hyper-local food that follows through, Prohibition-style cocktails, and on-point ambiance, I don't feel like I have to be in Brooklyn to try the latest, most delicious trends in restaurants. I love that they've found a way to bring the best of Appalachia to everyone. If you're traveling, stop here. If you're a local, discover a new favorite.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

That's how good it was! We started in Chicago and went down to Louisville, then to Chattanooga, then back north. We couldn't believe the best restaurant of the whole trip was in Chattanooga!But it was! Great service and incredible atmosphere! We had the chicken special and the halibut and shared a salad and a chocolate dessert. The suggested wine pairing was perfect. We particularly liked the art and the exposed limestone along with the open kitchen. Very well done and peaceful with a great unexpected twist on what they call Appalachian cuisine!

jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Terra Mae, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

We are so pleased and proud that you enjoyed TerraMae so much! Out of all the cities you went to with incredible restaurant scenes, we're delighted that we stood out to you. We hope that next time you come through Chattanooga you'll visit us again-- we'll have the same great atmosphere and another wine pairing waiting for you!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were looking for a nice meal on our last night in Chattanooga, and we were not disappointed. The building has been very tastefully renovated and redecorated. The menu is fairly unique, including a beat salad that was really good, and a red roasted pepper soup with lump crab that had a faint fishy taste. However, the sea scallops tasted very fresh and were not at all rubbery. In all, we really enjoyed our meal and the ambience.