“What is the owner thinking??”
Review of Backyard Grille - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Backyard Grille
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
“What is the owner thinking??”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I made the unfortunate decision to stop by the Backyard Grille tonight. After sitting inside the "restaurant" for 5 minutes I literally started to rethink my life. This food was so bad I'll need at least five good restaurants in order to deprogram the bad experience I got here. To start with, the place had very little remodeling inside. I suppose the owner thought the only conversions necessary were a good vacuuming and some furniture polish.

The overwhelming funk of cigarette smoke coming from the facility was enough to make me turn around and almost walk out. I was sure it was a holdover from the lounge days but after absorbing the air for a long while, I realized this was much more recent. As the owner walked to the table I caught a stirring of smoky air rushing towards me and I had to literally close my nostrils in order to be able to swallow my mouthful of coke and not vomit it back onto the table. This was strike two.

I ordered my salad with the house dressing which I think was celery seed mixed with high fructose corn syrup. It was sweet beyond measure. Definitely a nice try, it shows effort but the taste isn't there.

My brisket, that was so highly recommended by the waitress (whom was wonderful) and by the owner, was tough, chewy and flavorless unless you count charcoal as a flavor. If so, it had plenty of that. I suppose I could have even asked for a basket of charcoal crunchies to go with my meal like captain D's fried flour and lard bits. Someone else made a comment about the food not being boxed but the sister schubert rolls I was served does not constitute as home made.

I hate that the website here doesn't allow me to go backwards from one, because I feel in my heart that by giving it even one circle, is lying to the people who read these reviews.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Jason D

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had hoped we found a new place to hang out with friends and dance. Unfortunately we won't be able to return there, even though the food and music was good. It was said to be a non smoking venue, but toward the end of the evening, employees were lighting up inside. I suffered for the next 48 hours with coughing and breathing difficulties. I have health problems and can't be around smoke at ALL. It has landed me in the hospital with lung hemorrhaging in the past, so I can not risk it. If you advertise as NON smoking, this has to mean none, whatsoever, even if you are there working when the restaurant is closed. Cigarette odors NEVER leave, and this poses a real health danger to people like me. :-(

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Toejamfootball
“Fantastic food anf service.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I will name The Backyard Grille my favorite restaurant to eat at. The food is delicious and the service is excellent. Great people and a very clean place. I would recommend this place to anyone who like steakhouses.

“Fantastic place to eat”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't know what planet those two are on food is made fresh every day they let me look in the kitchen new grill had it put in 2 days before they opened it has no microwave no boxed food loved the brisket perfect smoke ring will be back many times keep up the good work. An the walls have fresh paint it had ugly green walls it took them four weeks to get it ready looks great inside non smoking that's a plus smells nice even better when they are smoking food out back it just makes your mouth water. I will tell everybody I know

“The food tasted totally burnt. I had ch camber steak, ordered medium, received burnt to a crisp, covered in burnt mushrooms. The”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

See the above. Terrible food. The place reeks of cigarettes. The cost was $28.00 for a totally burnt hamburger steak covered in burnt mushrooms, the macaroni and cheese was horrendous. The salmon was hard as a brick. Will not go back.

4 Thank tiamaria49