“Not Impressed”

Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Nashville, TN
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed November 19, 2006

We spent one night of our honeymoon here and really wished we would have skipped it. We're in our mid twenties and were impressed by the website. When we checked in the common areas were just as pictured although completely vacant of other guests which made the inn seem somewhat cold. Our room was on the third floor which was just fine, but we immediately noticed our biggest complaint: the floors were incredibly sloped. So much so that a soda bottle placed on the nightstand slid right off onto the floor. A coffee mug nearly did the same, but I caught it just in time. We found it quirky at first and made the best of our stay. We used the pool table which was fun, although placed right by the front desk which was a bit akward. We got to overhear the employees' personal conversation for the entire time we were playing. The content of the conversation was very unprofessional considering we were standing 5 feet away.
We spent the evening downtown and the inn is just a block or two from the free shuttle which was nice. Parking was about the same distance away which we didn't expect.
The jacuzzi tub was the highlight of room. The toilet was a bit unstable and the shower reminded me of a locker room. The tile floors didn't seem historic - just outdated. We had a queen suite and wish we'd gone with just a queen room. The small sitting room that contained the gas fireplace and two uncomfortable arm chairs wasn't very welcoming.
We didn't sleep extremely well b/c of the slope of our room. I had the constant feeling I was going to roll off the bed. Traffic outside woke us around 7:30 which was disappointing. Breakfast was from 7:30 to 9 and we went down around 8:30. There was a bowl of boiled eggs, a basket of croissants, and a bowl of pineapple, rasins, grapes and mandarin oranges. We split the last remaining cranberry scone which was tasty, but we weren't at all impressed. We were rushed a bit by the waitstaff who was apparently trying to have all the tables reset by exactly 9. 2 other guests came down after us, looked at what was offered, and went back upstairs empty handed.
Maybe we aren't bed & breakfast people or we were expecting too much. But we didn't see the inn described by the other reviews. Music only played in the dining room during breakfast, there was no Nathans, the lounge area was not open and the whole place seemed somewhat vacant.
I would maybe recommend it to someone looking for a good place to sit in bed and read a weekend away or an older couple who wanted a quiet place near downtown attractions. I'd suggest only the Queen or the Exclusive Balcony rooms. The Queen Suite and Private Balcony rooms have awkward floorplans from what I saw. Chattanooga is certainly worth a visit, but StoneFort just wasn't for us.

• Liked — it was in Chattanoga
  • Disliked — sloping floor, very limited breakfast, lifeless
  • Tips/Secrets — book the exclusive balcony or don't bother
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HerOverMe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
North Georgia
Reviewed November 14, 2006

The Stone Fort Inn is a charming and elegant small inn located in downtown Chattanooga. Located in a century old building, the decor and ambiance is a throwback to a bygone era -- antique furnishings, tall ceilings, original stone walls and wood floors.

Renovated just over four years ago, each of the 18 rooms has its own unique theme. Large, modern bathrooms with super large jetted tubs and top-end linens and toiletries complement the equally well appointed and comfortable beds.

Their website gives detailed and accurate information: [""]

Please note, the room I stayed in was near the road. I could hear the cars driving by (which wasn't too much of a problem -- it isn't on a street that is busy at night). Also, one of the large windows in the bedroom didn't have draperies that completely blocked out the street lamp just outside my room. Otherwise, absolutely perfect.

• Liked — Charming ambiance and atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank HMSoon
Reviewed March 1, 2006

My husband surprised me with a trip to Chattanooga for my birthday and we spent 3 nights at the StoneFort Inn. It was hard to go back home! We had a queen suite room with a separate sitting room, and it was just gorgeous. Everything was so comfortable and clean and we really enjoyed both the gas fireplace and the jacuzzi tub. I have also never slept in such a comfortable bed! The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts were delicious. My only complaint would be that they only serve breakfast and not dinner, but the innkeepers were great about recommending other restaurants in the city and giving directions. We were very impressed, and we can't wait to come back with friends!

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
USA
Reviewed January 25, 2006

This is a beautiful hotel that is more of an experience than just spending a night in a hotel. The rooms are decorated beautifully, but one in particular caught my eye and it wasn't the one I was originally assigned, but Fairis, whom I believe is over guest services, immediately suggested I switch. Every request I made (and I'm not an easy guest) was eagerly accommodated. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was friendly, professional and made me feel welcome. This hotel is a must see, even if you can't stay overnight. See if they will let you tour it. It's that gorgeous. And the breakfast included in the room rate is continental through the week, but it's like nothing I've had anywhere else. It was more like eating at a wonderful corner bakery.

The thing that stood out most to me above all else was housekeeping. My room was decorated in a black and white french toile theme and the floors were painted black. I walk around in my socks constantly. When I got ready to go to bed, I started to change my socks and was shocked to see that they were still as white as when I'd put them on. Now that's a clean floor! I never found anything below what I would consider extremely clean. The decor, the atmosphere, the food, Fairis and her staff...I'll stay at the Stone Fort any time I'm in Chattanooga. I'm not loaded, but this place is worth every penny. The Stone Fort is simply wonderful!!!!

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank anise38
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed two nights at the StoneFort Inn. We had no problem finding the Inn based on their instructions on their website. Aaron checked us in and was very pleasant. He showed us around, explained breakfast procedures and took us to our room.

Parking was a breeze because on the weekends there is free parking on the street and in the small lot next door.

The room was very nice - decorated in florals and antiques. We had room 29 which is an exclusive balcony room. It is a larger room with a sitting area and huge bathroom. Bath had two person jacuzzi, separate walk-in shower and toilet closet. Nice Aveda bath products.

We paid extra to have breakfast in bed each morning. Breakfast was very good - we had things such as egg, spinach and cheese casserole, artichoke & bacon quiche, croissants, fruit, yogurt, cinnamon buns etc. They also brought up coffee and juice on a separate tray.

We had a wine and cheese reception the first night there which was your typical fare. Very nice atmosphere to sit in the leather chairs listening to great music while drinking wine/eating cheese.

Service was always very efficient and pleasant. There were cookies and fruit available for guests in the afternoons/evenings.

Now for the 'negatives' & why I gave them above average vs. excellent: the Inn is extremely noisy. The walls are thin and you could always hear if someone was moving about. We agreed that nobody could sneak up on you in that place! Also, the public rooms were rented out almost all day Saturday which meant you could not use them. We were there on rainy days and would have enjoyed use of their library or billiard room, but we could not go in them. I realize that they want to make additional money, but at $230 a night you would like to have your own use of them as well. Finally, the location is off the beaten path and is near some type of home or homeless shelter (not sure which). This is perfectly fine, however, it made you feel a little uncomfortable if you wanted to walk to Broad or Market Streets in the evening.

One last thing - I don't know if it is still the same owners. Also, their website indicates that everything but tax will be charged. Not that it is a big deal, but they actually charge everything up front when you make the reservation. Nathan's does not exist any longer from what we could tell.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and we enjoyed ourselves. However, we are not sure that we will return.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank snwarf01
Reviewed December 29, 2005

My husband and I recently took a much needed getaway just before Christmas. The Stonefort Inn located in downtown Chatanooga TN was the perfect place. The staff there were so friendly and helpful. The room was snug and beautiful and included a gas fireplace and a 2 person jet tub and french shower. Our room was decorated for Christmas with a tree and we were left a copy of It's a Wonderful Life - our favorite holiday special - to watch that night. The breakfasts in bed were relaxing and delicious. My favorite was the raspberry scones. The staff pampered us our whole stay with hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies and a romantic bath for 2 with votive candles and rose petals around the tub. They also arranged for us to take a horse and carriage ride around downtown Chatanooga and made our dinner reservations for us. We will definately be going back for more visits. What a wonderful B&B!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2005

We stayed at the Stonefort for our honeymoon and fell in love with this place! This is our first ever B&B and I'm afraid we have been spoiled from the scones to the friendly staff! We can't wait to come back for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....anniversaries! Thanks again Stonefort!

• Stayed November 2005