“Simply the Unusual Best - elegant and charming”
Review of The Dwell Hotel

The Dwell Hotel
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Stone Fort Inn staff are amazing. They held a room for me since I was unable to travel when the reservations were made for a year.
I cannot say enough about the staff and the ambiance. It's Unusual to find a hotel with transoms still in place before the days of air-conditioning and before the days of the automobile. It's cozy And Chic.
Each room is charmingly decorated with wonderful fireplaces, many with balconies, and sitting areas. Antiques abound as well as afternoon cheese and crackers or freshly baked cookies.
Oh...do not miss the breakfasts! They are are delicious and offer a great variety.
The views are unusual. Its quite a treasure

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a road trip through the South, we like to stay in unique or boutique hotels when we travel and this fit the bill for our stop in Chattanooga.

Room
- We were put in a room with a VERY high queen bed, I felt like the princess and the pea, you almost needs a footstool to get into bed (and they provided one if you actually needed in) which was a little odd. Either because the bed was so high or the furniture was antique the mattress caved in the middle and the boyfriend and I ended up rolling into the center constantly.
- The bathroom was large and had an great jacuzzi bathtub that was highly used by us, especially after the Raccoon Mountain Wild Cave tour we survived.

Breakfast/Service/Misc
- The included breakfast was delish and included a hot course (egg, bacon, quiche) and a cold course (danish, fruit, yogurt) but their open hours are a bit too early for my night owl taste
- Beautiful dining area, large sunny windows and great layout
- The two proprietors were very nice and helpful and stayed unobtrusive (hovering innkeepers are the worse)
- Parking was across the block and behind a neighboring building but there were plenty of spots

All in all we enjoyed our stay but the clientele and atmosphere is definitely for an older crowd.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Now, there we were, wandering about Chatt (two "t"s or one?)anooga, knowing nothing. We turned a corner and saw before our very eyes a little hotel, The Stone Fort Inn, made (right on!) out of stones from an old Fort! We peered through the window, and were met by the bright and smiling face of Joy Patton, holding down the front desk. We were hopelessly entrapped. We marched in, were warmly met, glanced about and saw that here was comfort and good taste, and a slightly shabby elegance with just a touch of deshabille (accent). Look! A pool table too. ( I am learning to play pool.) Flowers and paintings, not to leave out a selection of wines and cheeses in the music room to refresh the weary traveller I marched about further, admiring the old stone walls, and real books that people would actually read in a real library! But there is more. A piano, lovely and gracefully antique. (I am learning to play the piano) I knocked off a Chopin "Nocturne" or two, delighting in the fact that the piano was hopelessly out of tune, but all the keys worked. So what? It is the thought that counts. Our rooms were as pleasantly appointed as the rest of the Inn, and I do not want to tell you how fabulous was the complimentary breakfast the next morning. But Alas! Joy was gone by then! We missed her. Next time, and soon, I will be driving all the way up there from Monticello, Florida for no other reason that to take my wife for a longish week-end. Never mind "Lookout Mountain" and the famous "Ruby Falls." Of course, when we come again we will be hoping that Joy will be there! Listen, traveller, you cannot go wrong at this place! I have, after all, been here and there, and know what I am talking about. Now I must run off and practice Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu." charles m

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank cmoore5186
Reviewed January 26, 2010

The Stone Fort Inn is awesome and is the best "little" hotel in Tennessee! We have many clients who travel to the area and we place them in the quaint rooms at the Stone Fort. These clients always rave about the individually appointed rooms and the friendliness of the staff who will do whatever possible to meet your every need. The freshly baked cookies are so delicious that you want to keep visiting the basket for more.
Anyone who wants a quiet or romantic weekend (or weeknight) should stay at the Stone Fort. Ms. Edie runs the Inn and is one of my favorite people.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JJInvision
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My wife and I arrived at the Stone Fort Inn after our reception. My Best Man had originally picked up the keys and delivered our luggage to the room. However, I did not remember to bring the keys and upon arriving the person at the front desk (Brian) planned ahead and had a spare key waiting for us.

I opted for a package that included a Private Balcony Suite. The room was amazing: fireplace, large and comfy king bed, large bathroom with one tub and one shower, and a jacuzzi outside on the balcony. The weather was a bit chilly and raining so the jacuzzi was really nice. We received breakfast in bed the next morning. The food was amazing -- all freshly cooked and prepared by Brian. Some of the recipes came from his family -- my wife says the eggs were the best she has ever tasted and I agree.

Check out is around 11, but Brian and the staff were understanding (I had to retrieve my car from another hotel and my wife had to pack up her dress, etc). They all really made us feel at home. We plan to return for our 1 year anniversary.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed on Sun night, Jan 17th. It was a very enjoyable stay. We had tickets to the Tivoli Theater and it was in walking distance. Even though we only stayed one night it was totally worth it. The rooms are decorated with antiques and the bathrooms are spacious with jetted tubs. The bed was a bit soft for my liking but all very comfortable. Our room faced the street but we were able to sleep well without noise being an issue. The breakfast was great with fresh fruit, scones, and the chef made scrambled eggs to order. The breakfast was from 8-10 which allowed flexibility and guests did not all eat together at the same time as at many b&b's.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susiepeach
Reviewed January 13, 2010

This "boutique" hotel is very quaint and has individually appointed rooms in one of the historic buildings of Chattanooga. The staff is wonderful, always going above and beyond expectations, from freshly baked cookies upon arrival to making wine available upon request in the evenings! Wake up to a Stone Fort breakfast that may include fresh fruit, pastries or eggs. As an event planner with a company located about 45 minutes away, I use the Stone Fort Inn for many of our clients and colleagues visiting from across the nation. Once the group arrives at our office, they have only raves for the Stone Fort and request to stay there whenever they return to visit us. Everyone visiting the Chattanooga area should stay at least one night in the Stone Fort - it's very close to the art district, the riverfront, aquarium, spa, baseball, restaurants, clubs and most anything else of interest. Don't forget to meet Ms. Edie while you are there - she is awesome! Did I mention that you can have arranged a drawn bath with rose petals - so romantic.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business