“Our favorite getaway spot”
Review of The Dwell Hotel

The Dwell Hotel
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Our favorite getaway spot”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We just returned from our third stay at Stone Fort Inn and as usual it lived up to our expectations. Edie and her staff are so wonderful and they make you feel right at home. The rooms have so much character and we don't mind the fact that the floors squeak. It's an old building and that's part of the charm! The fresh baked cookies are yummy!

Clayborn makes breakfast a joy! He is a delightful man who ses to your every need. Here's an idea of what you will have if you are lucky enough to be there on a Sat or Sun morning: stuffed french toast, sausage and cheese strata,quiche, bacon, fresh fruit, and the BEST scones and coffee!, and much more.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clr1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We just spent one night at the Stonefort Inn. In some ways it was exactly what I expected, in others it was not. There are some positives and some negatives. First off my husband and I stayed in room 29. It was large and decorated really nicely. I would recommend this room, although there is a balcony that is shared with another room and there is absolutely no view. So if a large room is not important for you, I would forego the price to a smaller room. The 2 person tub would also not fit the two of us and we are average people. I am 5'5" and I was too tall to stretch out. Another negative that I read about previously was the noise. Outside noise is not a problem for me, but the floors are the squeakiest floors I have ever been on in my life. Not a big deal for me, but maybe for someone else. The inn is very pretty and the breakfast buffet was also very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — clean, nicely decorated
  • Disliked — balcony view
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pearlking222
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We stayed here for two nights in October '08 to attend the Three Sisters Bluegrass Festival in downtown Chattanooga. The location was very good, even if not directly near the riverfront, and was within walking distance of everything and the free electric shuttle run by the city.

Pros: Nice ambience, restored building, large rooms, cozy, nice bathroom with large shower, excellent breakfast service staff, vegetarian breakfast item provided per our request, similar price to downtown hotels for more unique experience.

Cons: Rented queen suite but didn't use the adjoining sitting room at all, queen room would have been sufficient. Water leaked through ceiling one morning from the bathroom above; wine and cheese hour was disappointing (cheap, tasteless wine); loud street noise from trucks going past in early morning.

• Liked — Restored building, unique from chain hotels, good hearty breakfast.
  • Disliked — Pipe leakage, disappointing wine/cheese hour, didn't get room decor we had been promised.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neutron_Lurver
Alabama
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My husband and I booked a trip to Chattanooga as a small romantic getaway after Christmas. The photos on Stone Fort's website are very true to life; the Inn is beautiful. We booked a Queen Suite, but I wish we had either upgraded or went for the Queen Room. The Suite came with a seperate sitting room that had a fireplace, but it wasn't very comfortable (it just had two wing back chairs) so we hardly used it. The bathroom was spacious and the two person jetted tub was very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable! Breakfast each morning was very good, too. Since we didn't stay on a weekend, we didn't get to experience the gourmet breakfast, but the weekday breakfast consisted of fresh fruit and yogurt, some of the best scones I've ever had, scrambled eggs and bacon, coffee, and more.

The only problems we ran into were on our third day. We were lounging in our room in the morning (taking our time, since this was, after all our vacation) and we were called by the front desk at 9am to say that a decorative curtain in our room needed to be repaired. We knew the curtain was broken, we just thought they'd check with us before scheduling the repair. My husband told the front desk clerk that we weren't really ready (neither of us had showered or gotten ready for the day) and he said he'd reschedule. However, less than 5 minutes later, another lady called back and basically told us we had to leave the room. They offered no apology, nothing. We decided to make the best of it though and not let it ruin our stay. However, I did feel it was very poor customer service. We are paying for the room; I felt they should work around us.

I would also not recommend the dinner theatre - we went to this on New Year's Eve. Some very questionable and possibly offensive content was in the play. If we hadn't spent so much money on it, we probably would've left. One couple at our table did.

Overall, the negative outweighed the good. We would probably return to the Stone Fort Inn again if we needed a place to stay in Chattanooga, despite the minor annoyances. With so many good reviews on here, maybe our experience was a fluke.

• Liked — beautiful rooms, great breakfast
  • Disliked — poor customer service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mrsjy
new york
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I travel a ton for work and this inn/small hotel ranks as one of the best hotels I have stayed at anywhere. The service was incredible right up there with the Peninsula in Hong Kong, the Milestone in London, the Oriental in Bangkok. I have never written a tripadvisor review before, but I wanted to recommend this hotel. We were a small group working on a film shoot and the Inn made us a full breakfast early, they did our laundry (we were shooting in caves), the booked us at different fantastic restaurants and they always made sure we had a supply of home baked cookies.

This is a one of a kind American Inn.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 16, 2008

In May of '08, my wife and I did a weekend trip to Chattanooga to see if we could find a romantic place to unwind on our wedding night to be at the end of August '08. I was told of Stone Fort Inn several years ago by a friend and his wife, so I thought it would be a good place to start.

Well... we were very satisfied. As a matter of fact, we decided upon checking out in May that our first two days of being married would be at Stone Fort Inn. We have found that one of the rooms is our favorite because of how fantastic the bed is. It's like sleeping in a cloud.

As far a the comment about no service, I don't see how some one could complain. Each time we checked in, it was explained by the host/greeter as to how late some one would be at the desk. Also, some one is always available by calling down to the desk. Additionally, 10 PM on our wedding night they called our room to inform us that we'd be having breakfast in bed at 9:30 the next morning!

Oh, the breakfasts during the weekends is awesome and is always changing. Oh yeah, we'll be back.... you'll probably see us there.

• Liked — Old fashion accomidations
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NashvilleGreg
yorkshire
Reviewed November 6, 2008

we chose to start our holiday here, which was to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. It set a very high standard for the rest of our holiday. The hotel was very quaint and cosy. The staff were so friendly , kind and helpful, just what we needed after the long flight from uk and drive from Atlanta. The room was very clean, a good size with a generous size en-suite all tastefully decorated and the bed was sooo comfy. We saw the other rooms and would not have been dissapointed with any of them. The breakfast every morning had a good selection especially at the weekend, we had blueberry pancakes i was really looking forward to them and they did not dissapoint. The hotel was well situated, just a short walk to shops etc or use the free bus to get around the city centre. We visited Ruby Falls, Rock City and the Incline Railway all within a short drive from the hotel. I would recomend this hotel to anyone and would deffinately stay again.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple