“What a choice”

Ranked #28 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Toronto
“What a choice”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife picked this boutique Hotel in downtown Chattanooga because its description was good and the location was great. We were overwhelmed by their hospitality. Everyone was wonderful to us. The hotel has a wonderful history and adjacent restaurant. One of the amazing elements is the frames of the mirrors. The wood is spectacular. Each room is unique with original wood floors and updated washroom facilities. Breakfast is in the restaurant. We met the 'morning chef' who prepared perfect poached & scrambled eggs for us. He also told us a lot about the area and how excited he and his young family are to live in the Chattanooga area, with all the outdoor activity options and vibrant downtown. Stone Fort Inn is a piece of Chattanooga's history and everyone we met is an ambassador. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, pick rooms away from 10th Street if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a gracious reception and a charming room with antiques and balcony, and a bottle of San Pellegrino, which was appreciated. As a member of the Society for Historic Preservation, I give the Stone Fort Inn high marks. And the food is yummy! I must say one thing. The lamp by the bed is not good to read by--alas, a lot of historic places ( and not-so-historic places) have this quirk. Bring your backlit Kindle and you'll be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HistoryBuff913
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My boyfriend made the reservations at this Inn and surprised me with a get away due to all the stress I've been under recently. I had never been to this Inn and typically, we will go to the smokey mountains. But chattanooga is pretty mountainous, and this Inn was just adorable and so well run. The rooms were clean and comfy, and the food delish. We enjoyed the oversized tub in our room, and it was nice to have a shower too in the same bathroom, separately. Our furnishings were very nice and the bed was not too firm, not too soft. We just relaxed and enjoyed the town. There is plenty to do in Chattanooga! The service and the food at the StoneFort were very good as well. We will head this way again for our getaways!

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed over the weekend for the Hooch Boat/ Crew competition where our nephew was competing. Although there was a large wedding party in house, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the ambiance of the Inn, and we thought the service was very good as well. The rooms were clean, housekeeping was efficient. The towels were nice and large, the bed was comfortable, and we really enjoyed the food and the bar in the lobby. Nakia was our favorite and the bartender Justin was good, along with the various servers we encountered. All in all, a surprisingly well run little Inn! Highly recommended!

Hope, Ala
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My associated made reservations here, and I was skeptical based upon reading the previous reviews of business people. Sounded great for leisure travelers however. Well, I can say it was perfect for this business traveler too! I stayed here mid week and found the bed very comfortable, the work table perfect,, the wifi fast, huge bathrooms, and great breakfasts! Plus, the restaurant was fantastic, as was the bar. The staff was efficient and charming actually. No complaints here. Sounds like many of the people who leave 3 and 4 stars just don't appreciate the fact that this property is not going to like a hampton inn or a courtyard. It is funky, but in a good way, and it just is attractively perky and very full of character. I was really quite impressed with the whole get up and the whole appalachian bistro concept too.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 20 ,a king bed, and good work space
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The room was very nice - eclectic and cozy, just what we had hoped for. The restaurant was fantastic - our servers Steve and Matt were charismatic and knowledgable, and we had a lot of fun with them (we were there for a wedding rehearsal dinner). We ran into issues at check-out. Our rooms, along with the rest of the bridal party, were being paid for by the hosting family. The woman at the front desk had lost their card information or something, and was a bit rude / made little effort to understand the situation, insisting that she charge our cards. This happened to everyone in the group. It seems to me that when a client has booked several rooms for several nights / hosted a large dinner at your facility, you would be more inclined to be accommodating and understanding (and maybe take our card number just in case, but hold off on charging until you've made an effort to settle the situation).

This happened to the whole group, everyone was pretty irritated (especially the bride). Not the end of the world, but definitely a strike against an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I wasn't sure if I wanted to rate this property as "Average" or as "Very Good". I'd say it's somewhere in between. (I'm not one to complain and don't think I've ever really left a negative review before on any one place we have traveled and we travel ALOT.) When my husband and I checked in on Friday night, we were sent to the wrong room which we booked 2 1/2 months in advance. The desk clerk was very quick to blame a teammate for the error and placed us in a different room stating that we may have to move the next day. We were tired and we were on a schedule, so didn't have time to debate this. With all that said, this was my first impression/experience with Stone Fort Inn, and it didn't get started on the right foot.

When I booked, we paid an additional $20 for Breakfast in Bed on Saturday morning. Basically, a staff member takes food from the buffet and brings it to your room. When the server arrived with our food, she only had enough for one person and one glass of juice. I asked her if she was going to bring another glass of juice, as I was confused, and she said she didn't know that there was another person in the room with me. We asked for more food, more juice and coffee. And silverware. She hadn't brought any silverware to begin with. Side note - the server was very sweet and apologized up and down and said she'd get us anything we needed. She said this was her 3rd day on the job so we definitely wanted to give her grace. I don't feel like this was her fault, but more of a leadership and training issue that should be addressed. We paid $20 for cold breakfast and mistakes.

After breakfast I ventured downstairs to find out what was going on with our room. A new desk clerk explained that she was going to have to call the couple who had the room booked and see if they would move to a different room so we wouldn't have to move. I asked her to please do so now, so that we could continue on with our day. We were going to stay in the room during the day, relaxing and enjoying the room that we had paid for! She said that she would call them now and then let me know. She called our room a few minutes later with good news that we could stay in the room for the same rate that we booked our original room. We booked a Queen Suite but were "upgraded" to an Executive Queen Suite with a balcony.

Dinner at Terra Mae that night was good. Not great, just good. The Ambrosia salad was the best part. Service at first was very slow....took 10 minutes for a server to approach us, which made us feel kind of awkward.

I'm not sure if I would come back here or not based on first impressions. The hotel itself is secure (door-entry code to get in day or night) and pretty well kept up as far as cleaning goes. And the bed was very comfortable! I left with mixed emotions.

Room Tip: Queen suites and the Executive Queen Suite have fireplaces!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple