“Weekend Get-away but no Romance available”
Review of The Dwell Hotel

The Dwell Hotel
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed March 25, 2013

When I first made my reservation for a weekend getaway, I wanted the exclusive "All Romance Package" as advertised on the website but was told it was not available for the weekends I wanted to reserve, even though I negotiated the option of having a smaller room for the same price. After we arrived, we were scheduled in the exact size room that is described on the website in the "All Romance Package"; very strange sales strategy when they could have made more money off the weekend had they given us the Romance package in the room. I still don't understand why we didn't get the package.

We definitely enjoyed the atmosphere of the boutique hotel B&B! Quaint and very comfortable furnishings; the renovation is very tasteful and trendy. Unfortunately, for sleeping accomodations, the second floor is amazingly noisy. We were in Room 25 and had to listen to every single person walking around and up/down the stairs if they did not use the elevator. Our first morning there, our upstairs neighbors were up at 7:00 walking around and it was very loud through the floors. The building is old and the floors are very creaky, we get that, but it was a constant noise throughout our entire stay. There is no rest/relaxation if you are in your room while the housekeeping staffing is working. The second night we found an app on our phones that allowed us to to turn on some white noise to drown out the noise of the hotel so we could sleep more peacefully; it worked.

The breakfast was nice and the service throughout the hotel was great. The 5-6pm cheese and wine Happy Hour was very delightful and a great addition to our afternoon.

We love Chattanooga and are thinking about another trip later in the year for Fall. If we decide to stay at Stonefort Inn again, we will request a Romance package and ask for a 3rd floor room, maybe the staff will be able to accomodate so we can have more Romance and less noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMitchellCHA, General Manager at The Dwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the ambiance and charm of our inn, and apologize that some aspects were not what you had hoped. We are currently in the process of revamping our specials. Our previous selection had been around for years, and it was time to refresh the packages available in line with other updates at StoneFort, such as the ongoing redecoration of rooms and the renovation of the restaurant space to create TerraMae. Unlike our previous selection of specials, our new packages will all be structured as add on’s that can be applied to whichever room you wish to book, depending on availability at the time of your stay. This should make it easier to get the services you want with a room that meets your preferences-- for example, a room on the third floor or one with a particular decor theme (many folks are fond of the famous Dog Room). We apologize for the confusion concerning your Romance Package during this transition. We certainly hope that you stay at StoneFort again for future visits to Chattanooga, and try out some of the new special add-ons we will have available starting in April 2013. Some of your favorite things about your visit, including the breakfast and wine and cheese happy hour will still be part of the classic StoneFort experience.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I decided to travel to Chattanooga for a one night stay and we bought the living social deal to stay in this hotel. That first day and night was great! The lady that was up there gave great advice about the area and then the gentleman that took over at night(Brian) was beyond helpful. I bought the romantic bath to surprise my wife while we were at dinner and he went above and beyond to help me! But the reason I am giving this place a three is because we woke up the next morning to enjoy the great breakfast that we heard they had and they forgot to make breakfast or some one didnt show up to cook the food. This place is a bed and breakfast and they DONT HAVE BREAKFAST! On top of that the lady that was down there that morning was extrememly rude to us and made some very smart comments to us. After that expereince we could not wait to get out of there. But you cant just not have breakfast at a bed and breakfast and charge the price that they charge.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMitchellCHA, General Manager at The Dwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and our attempts to go above and beyond to ensure each guest as a relaxing getaway at our Inn. We greatly apologize about the mishap with breakfast, and have addressed this incident with our team. The cook was sick that day, the manager failed to handle the situation correctly, and upper management wasn’t notified until it was too late. We deeply regret that the behavior of the staff affected your enjoyment of your vacation. Our executive Chef did her best to address the situation upon arrival, but obviously many guests were already hungry and frustrated. We are proud to offer a quality gourmet breakfast each day, and are very embarrassed that you were not able to enjoy that experience. We have updated our staff and procedure to prevent any such future disappointments for our guests. Not only have to moved on from this incident, we have even been able to further improve our service by now featuring Sunday Brunches in addition to our regular breakfast offerings. We hope that you will give StoneFort Inn and TerraMae another try in the future and see how pleasant a regular morning here can be!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I thought the place was very very good all things considered. Excellent free internet service, digital screen Tvs in each room, individually controlled thermostats, great decor, clean rooms, very large bathrooms, robes in each room, bottled sparking water in each room, great shampoo and conditioner, pretty much--did not expect all these amenities in a B and B. But after talking with Dee at the front desk, it seems this place is a cut above and they are trying to become a boutique Inn. I read the reviews about the noise, but it's really not that noisy given that the Inn is in a downtown situation. Yes, the building is old, and yes the floors is slanted a little, but how cool is that? At least there isn't the same carpet and the same decor in each room like the Read House or the Marriott down the street. I stayed at the Mayor's Mansion one time, and it's just a big old house, which is fine, but this is a REAL INN with a Great Restaurant--TerraMae. The bar is neat because they make specialty old drinks. Pretty much you don't find places like this anymore. Parking is typical downtown parking- a bit of a pain but part of the charm too. I'm glad there is no parking garage because I hate parking garages! Street parking or safe, secure parking in the lot across the street, really not bad at all. Not sure why people complain about that. Anyway, great Staff! Great Restaurant. I stay here for legal business (courthouse is across the street) --gotta admit, I didn't think I'd stay here for business but with the great breakfasts and the new bar and cool bistro, I am hooked!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My fiancee and I went for a weekend getaway to Chattanooga. We stayed 3 nights. This was our first experience with a boutique hotel. The building was very interesting (built in the early 1900's). It has the intimate feel of a B&B (only 16 rooms) without the close interaction with your host and other guests. Although we enjoyed our stay, this hotel is not the place for picky patrons. There were a few minor things (room phone didn't work, low water pressure, room was little drafty) that didn't bother us, however, someone who is looking for a luxurious setting with all the amenities and services would probably be unhappy with this hotel. We liked that the building was old (but nice!) and had a history behind it. The furnishings were mostly antiques and the floors sloped due to age, but for us this was part of the charm. I would not recommend this place for families with small children. There are too many things to break. They served breakfast every morning and it was delicious, with a wide variety of things to choose from (bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc.). In fact, the breakfast at the hotel was the best meal we ate all weekend. We never heard any noise from the rooms on either side of us, however, you could hear people in the hallway but there wasn't a lot of foot traffic, so this wasn't bothersome. The hotel is located downtown, so you will hear traffic and sirens, but this wasn't bad enough to bother our sleep. The hotel was conveniently located. We could have walked to most of the local attractions and restaurants/pubs. Unfortunately for us, it was too cold while we were there to walk anywhere. The parking during the week is a couple blocks away and requires a card to open the gate that you have to pick up at the front desk, however, on the weekends, you have access to a parking lot next to the hotel and just steps from the front door. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for something different than the cookie-cutter chain hotels. If you like B&B's, I would definitely recommend trying this place out. We will stay here again when we go back to Chattanooga.

1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Parking is a block away. There were not enough parking cards for everyone, so anytime you went out you had to stop at the hotel, go inside, get a parking key, then go park. Frequently there was no one at the desk. We asked for a city map, there wasn't one. We asked for directions to the National Cemetery and to the university, the young lady didn't know how to get to either place. Our room was incredibly noisy, every night. No chair for the desk. The floor had at least a 20% slope in one area (not an exaggeration....you could not place a glass on the tabletop, it would slide off!). There were no hangers in the wardrobe, although they did bring some on request. We stayed 3 nights, and had to ASK to have our room cleaned. Basically very poor to no management in sight.

The restaurant, Terra Mae, was quite good. Go for dinner, stay someplace else.

Room Tip: If you must, request a room at the front of the building, the backside has horrible generator noise...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMitchellCHA, General Manager at The Dwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

We apologize that your stay at StoneFort was not up to all your expectations. It is always our goal to offer our guests genuine hospitality. For example, we brought a complimentary in-room appetizer tray as a personal touch for your husband’s birthday. We sincerely apologize that despite our best efforts, you found your experience lacking.

To address your specific concerns, it is true that we do not have an attached parking facility. We're a downtown inn built before the age of the automobile; however, we're close to the Southside, Riverfront, and North Shore districts which can all be reached by foot, bicycle, or free electric shuttle. It's a more European arrangement, one that allows us to truly be part of the urban fabric of Chattanooga. Because of the age and urban nature of the inn, it's also true that it isn't built the same as modern chain hotels. The floors slope in some places and sound carries a little differently. While we understand this isn't what everyone looks for in an inn, others see this as part of the charm and what sets StoneFort apart from big cookie cutter, chain accommodations.

As for staffing, our front desk personnel is on site from 9:30AM to 10PM to handle customer concerns. Our breakfast staff is available earlier and can assist guests with any needs prior to the office staff arriving. Housekeeping cleans the rooms each day unless there is a do not disturb sign on the door. We have talked with housekeeping to develop a better strategy for cleaning rooms under those circumstances. We are sorry that you did not find these services satisfactory. We are happy to hear, though, that you enjoyed Terra Mae. We are very proud of our restaurant and getting to share a little of the local cuisine, style, and culture that makes Chattanooga special.

Finally, we wish you would have told us at any time during your stay that you were not happy with any aspect of your experience. We always react promptly to customer concerns. This review was a big surprise and disappointment to all of the staff.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The building is beautiful and has a lot of potential, but the execution just isn't there. Several of the pieces of furniture in our room were missing pulls, such that only one drawer was usable. The room has a beautiful glass window above the door to the hallway. While this is nice, there wasn't a window covering for it and at night that light was really bright.

As for service, the place is advertised as having a full breakfast. However, when we checked in and asked when breakfast would be served, we were told it is from 9-10:30 am on Saturdays. We had planned to get up and head out around 8 for hiking, but altered our plans. I think people should know that breakfast isn't really "included" if they want to start their day earlier. That said, the food and service at breakfast were great.

Because breakfast is such a tight window, we found that a lot of people were bathing at the same time --> cold water shower. We had enjoyed a beautiful, warm bath the night before -- it was a pity we couldn't start the morning with a similarly warm shower.

The parking situation seems a bit dodgy to me - I wasn't entirely comfortable leaving my car on the street in the neighborhood. It turned out fine, but I was nervous.

All in all - I might stay here again. I loathe chain hotels, but I'd be in interested in trying another boutique hotel before returning here.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at Stone Fort last year (July 2012) and it was one of my favorite parts of a great long weekend trip to Chattanooga.

There is really nothing I can complain about, as I loved everything -- the restoration of the historic building, the antique furniture, the spaciousness, the wonderfully friendly and kind staff, and oh my, the wonderful breakfast!

My accommodation, which was a free upgrade, was just lovely and so roomy and comfortable. I had, all to myself, a big bedroom, a sitting room (with a fireplace) and a huge bathroom with a giant jet tub and separate shower and separate toilet room. All of it was decorated in homey, but not too-too cute antique/lived in furniture, as you'd expect at most B&Bs, and everything was clean and fresh. There were two TVs and wifi so despite the cosiness, there was also technological comfort.

I've never stayed at a hotel suite that made me think "Wow, I wish I could live here!" I am eager to go back so I've signed up for their email newsletter, according to which they've turned their dining space into a full-service restaurant, which sounds promising as the breakfasts I had there were superb.

Room Tip: I had a suite, with a large sitting room, in addition to a large bedroom and bathroom, and having it...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo