“What a ride! :)”

Tennessee Valley Railroad (TVR)
Ranked #9 of 149 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest operating historic railroads in the United States offers scenic trips through the Tennessee countryside.
Northern VA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“What a ride! :)”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband is a train buff, so he loved this. The only way it could have been any better for his experience was to be in the cab of the engine. We rode in the car that allowed us to have the windows down, but no A/C. This was fine because it was a cool, drizzly day--atypical for July. The only complaint I had was the speakers were inaudible/broken, so we only caught a few words here and there about the history of the line. At the turnaround, everyone gets off the train so the engine can get on the roundtable and move back to the front of the cars. For those who've never seen this before, it's a great experience.
The train ride is just long enough to enjoy but not too long for wee ones. If you arrive at a time where there is a delay for the next ride, there are plenty of old train cars to look at on site.
Staff was great and very friendly. Gift shop was typical, and items a little pricey, but about what you'd expect.
Small snack bar on premises. I got a sandwich that was pretty dry and obviously had been made for at least a day or two. Couldn't eat it. My husband opted for a hot dog and it was much better.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank gwhillikers

Atlanta, Georgia
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Wonderful and relaxing ride”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a great place for all ages. The train ride we took was 6 miles round trip and lasted an hour. The train ride is very relaxing with great scenery. Seeing all the old trains and the train engine turnaround was quite interesting and unique.

Decatur, Georgia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Fantastic for your train lover with charming volunteer staff”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My toddler LOOOOOOVED the TVR steam train ride. We sat in the open air car and he was fascinated by everything inside and out. The staff is all volunteer, from the darling older ladies serving lunch basics in the station to Santa the conductor who gave a great running commentary during the ride and made a real event of the engine turning on the table. We plan to return in the late fall for the Christmas themed ride. Well worth it.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank sjboyden
Missouri
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting if you are into trains”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was nice to ride with the kids on the train but a bit pricey. You do have to take into consideration that your ticket helps to keep this bit of history going. The turn-around of the engine was unique and the explaination of the conductor on the short tour was very interesting. Not awesome but a bit of american history.

Atlanta
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Perfect for kids (and parents)”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My 3 year old LOVES, LOVES, LOVES trains. So, we took him on the Missionary Ridge Local ride, and we all had a blast! First, we enjoyed looking at the parked railroad cars/engines outside by the parking lot. And, my son was particularly excited to be able to climb aboard one or 2. Then, the excitement really picked up when the train arrived for us to take. What a great looking engine!! We stood on the end of the platform to watch the train pull up, and my son's excitement definitely made it even more fun for us, but I think I would have enjoyed it even just with some adults. The ride is the perfect length. You travel maybe about 25 minutes or so. Then, everyone gets off to see them turn the engine and coal car around on a turntable. (When we got home, my son tried to make a turntable out of just about anything he could find to turn his engines.) I have to admit that I didn't really listen to the talk inside the repair shop, but my husband found it quite interesting. After about 10 minutes at the stop, everyone climbs back on board and heads back to the starting point (thru one tunnel and over 2 bridges). They narrate the ride completely on the trip out and quite a bit on the ride back, which helps keep things interesting as well. I don't know if it's always the same narrator or not, but the one we had (who looks like Santa) did a fantastic job! He was funny and very nice. I highly recommend this trip for anyone who likes trains, but particularly for kids.

1 Thank sunnyskiesabove