“Fantastic for your train lover with charming volunteer staff”

Tennessee Valley Railroad (TVR)
Ranked #11 of 151 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest operating historic railroads in the United States offers scenic trips through the Tennessee countryside.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My toddler LOOOOOOVED the TVR steam train ride. We sat in the open air car and he was fascinated by everything inside and out. The staff is all volunteer, from the darling older ladies serving lunch basics in the station to Santa the conductor who gave a great running commentary during the ride and made a real event of the engine turning on the table. We plan to return in the late fall for the Christmas themed ride. Well worth it.

1  Thank sjboyden
There are newer reviews for Tennessee Valley Railroad (TVR)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was nice to ride with the kids on the train but a bit pricey. You do have to take into consideration that your ticket helps to keep this bit of history going. The turn-around of the engine was unique and the explaination of the conductor on the short tour was very interesting. Not awesome but a bit of american history.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My 3 year old LOVES, LOVES, LOVES trains. So, we took him on the Missionary Ridge Local ride, and we all had a blast! First, we enjoyed looking at the parked railroad cars/engines outside by the parking lot. And, my son was particularly excited to be able to climb aboard one or 2. Then, the excitement really picked up when the train arrived for us to take. What a great looking engine!! We stood on the end of the platform to watch the train pull up, and my son's excitement definitely made it even more fun for us, but I think I would have enjoyed it even just with some adults. The ride is the perfect length. You travel maybe about 25 minutes or so. Then, everyone gets off to see them turn the engine and coal car around on a turntable. (When we got home, my son tried to make a turntable out of just about anything he could find to turn his engines.) I have to admit that I didn't really listen to the talk inside the repair shop, but my husband found it quite interesting. After about 10 minutes at the stop, everyone climbs back on board and heads back to the starting point (thru one tunnel and over 2 bridges). They narrate the ride completely on the trip out and quite a bit on the ride back, which helps keep things interesting as well. I don't know if it's always the same narrator or not, but the one we had (who looks like Santa) did a fantastic job! He was funny and very nice. I highly recommend this trip for anyone who likes trains, but particularly for kids.

1  Thank sunnyskiesabove
Reviewed August 7, 2013

my granddaughter had not been on a train before, and it was really a fun and educational time. It showed the men shovelling coal, how the turntable works to turn the engine around, and where they work on them.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

For our anniversary, my husband booked the monthly "Dinner on the Diner" excursion. You get to choose your meal and if you want to eat in the dining car (our choice) or a pullman car. We came up early enough to come to the museum during the day, too. After exploring all of the rolling stock that's in the yard, we went inside and bought tickets on the steam engine excursion. We chose the air-conditioned car and sat back to enjoy the ride. At the 1/2 way point, there is a turntable. Everyone gets off the train and watches the steam engine being turned around for the trip back. You also get a tour of the shop where they work on the trains. My husband and I both loved it. After lunch in their cafe (surprisingly good), we toured a little more before heading back to the hotel for a nap. That evening, we were back for the Dinner on the Diner. Awesome food, excellent service, and a fun time rolling along while eating. It brought to mind when travel by train was the norm and the luxury you could experience while traveling.