“Great Time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My Husband, Son, Nephew, and I had an exceptional time upon our stay here. We stayed during the middle of the week following Memorial Day weekend so found it to not be to crowded. We had no problem upon check in and found the staff to be helpful. We stayed in one of the cabins and loved it. However if you stay in one of these be prepared to provide all your cooking, eating, and cleaning utensils. The bathroom was very clean and the boys loved having their own space. The fire ring, private deck, and grill were very nice bonuses that we throughly enjoyed. The pool was a decent size, well maintained, and located next to the playground which was nice. The arcade room was a bit dated but all machines were functional. They had an air hockey table, ski ball, and several arcade games, and the go carts were inexpensive and we enjoyed racing one another in them. The one major downside to this experience was the mattress on our double bed. It is similar to ones I slept on as a child at summer camp and after 2 nights of restless sleep my husband and I found ourselves quite tired. We will go back but next time plan to take mattress pads.

Room Tip: The few cabins on the backside are a little more secluded
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay if you want to pop up a tent or back in the RV. The rates are reasonable and the location is great. The on site cave tour is one of the best I have ever been on. The staff is good and the place is fairly clean. The on site go karts are a rip off though. Great place for a family trip.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I think the good reviews must be written by the staff because I don't see how anyone could actually be impressed by this place. My family camps at least twice a month all over tennessee, at campgrounds and primitive camping in the mountains. I feel that I have a good idea of what one should expect from a campground and this park is far inferior to every location we have camped. After researching the site online, we decided to take an impromptu trip Friday night and stay until Sunday. We arrived late Friday night and were shocked at what we found. It is an open field nestled between a few subdivisions. The grass and weeds were so tall, I didn't want to get out of the car. Our legs were stained yellow all the way to our knees from the weeds. We had to lay blankets out over the ground in order to make it tolerable to be out of the tent. When your camping, you should expect a certain amount of bugs, but it is not an exaggeration to say that the campsite was severely infested with flies, ants, Mosquitos, and spiders. In the dark, we thought we were at least next to a wooded area but in the morning light we found it was nothing more than a sparse treeline similar to what we have in our backyard. In the morning we also found that our campsite butted up to the go-cart track and batting cages, both of which were rundown. Our firepit was a dirt circle cleared of grass with nothing to contain the fire. It didn't even have one of the sad semi-truck rims I read about in other reviews. The site was so badly uneven, that we felt as though we were going to slide off our air mattress. not a comfortable way to sleep. The staff is unfriendly, bordering on rude. The older man behind the counter seemed to be scolding my husband for not checking to see if the site was reserved even though it was, in fact, open and we had followed the instructions given when we called. We packed up sat morning and drove back home to nashville rather than spending another horrible night here. I have never taken the time to write a review before, but our experience was so bad, I felt compelled to share and hopefully prevent another family from wasting their time and money on a disappointing weekend. There was a young man who waited on us in the morning who was very friendly and refunded our second night 7 min after check out, with only slight hesitation. The young lady behind the counter was not helpful. When we told her we couldn't camp with so many bugs, her smart remark was, "welcome to summer in tn." We are tennesseans and very familiar with its summers. Racoon mountain staff, It seems to me that you might need to work on your manners. It's something we southerners refer to as hospitality and I believe it's the business you're in. Your park would be much improved by remembering that.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Ranger7677
CampRMC, Manager at Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

I am sorry that you feel this way, but after looking into the issues you had we found that you came in after the office was closed and did not go to our night registration booth that shows all available sites for that evening after the office closes, you also did not call and make advance reservations which is always recommended so that you know which site to go to. The area which you all went to is not a site rather an overflow parking area for large groups such as Boy Scouts and church groups, and the batting cages are in the process of being taken down and replaced with a miniature golf course. The one person that refunded you was instructed to do so by the older gentleman which you apparently were not find of, our policy and recipts state that we give out no refunds or exchanges but did make an exception as your husband said the kids wanted to go back to Nashville. As far as the bugs go again this was not a camp area that you set up in which is why the grass may not have been a short manicured area like the rest of the park. I am fairly certain the girl in our office was just trying to make conversation and add a bit of humor to the situation as opposed to being "smart" as you said, she is correct when it gets hot in Tennessee we have quite a few bugs however Mosquitos are not one of them as the bats that live in our cave system eat them at a rate of ~500 per hr. my suggestion is make a reservation and you will have a site or if you come in after hours use our after hours board or call our after hours number for help but don't just set up in an area you think is a site that does not show up on our map and then expect the same accommodations as the other actual sites which are numbered, leveled, and on our map, and all have fire ring( some are the old semi tire) and some are stone and also have a picnic table.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had read some of the other reviews, so was a little worried. Alas, there was no reason to.We tent camped with 5 adults and three girls 6-4-2. Place was clean and well lit. Playground and pool for the little ones. Bathrooms are what I have experienced in most campgrounds. My only complaint is that they need a larger hot water heater for showers. Maybe a coat of paint on restroom doors.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have stayed at this campground on several occasions and have toured the caverns many times. Though it may not be the newest campground in the area, it is the most convenient for visiting the tourist attractions. The sites are level gravel sites that are well maintained. There are go-carts for the kids and some shaded sites. Larger RV's like mine have to park in an area that is not as shaded, but this is not uncommon for over-sized RV sites. There are a few cabins and the owners are working to do upgrades. The wifi service was excellent as was the cable TV service. The pricing is reasonable for what is available. There is a nice well marked hiking trail to the top of the mountain. I have camped in enough campgrounds to know you pay for what you get and often you are paying for amenities you won't use. This is an excellent campground for most campers. I recommend it if you are visiting the area and want reasonable rates.

Room Tip: The RV sites vary in length. Be sure you contact the park to make sure your site will accommodate y...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tennessee50plus
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This site was horrible. The RVs were just lined up side by side, no trees in between, no privacy. Looked like a parking lot. The "primitive" camping sites backed up to a subdivision. We could literally throw a rock & hit the houses. It was awful. We drove 218 miles to get here & got back in the car & left. Very disappointing. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Sonya M
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I can't tell if this place is on the way up, or on the way down. There are parts that are brand-new and clean like the restrooms. They are the nicest, cleanest restrooms I have seen anywhere. He's building new campsites and buildings Then there are parts that are old, abandoned and neglected, even including old abandoned campers and athletic facilities. The swimming pool is green and gross and looks like it hasn't been used in a while. It had been raining for a few days when we arrived and everything was incredibly muddy. But our site was level.

Like a lot of families, I sometimes carry a legal handgun in the truck when I'm traveling with my family. This campground has a sign prohibiting all firearms including legally carried concealed weapons from the premises. I don't think I have run into that in this part of the country before. I have no objection to them doing so, after all it's private property and they can make any rules they like. But it makes for an awkward situation when you arrive and they haven't told you about that in their literature, web site, or when you make the reservation. So be advised that this campground has this rule and make your decisions accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank sp4042
CampRMC, Manager at Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for staying in our park. I am glad to hear that our facilities were clean, as far as the athletic facilities go we started a new shuffleboard area but have had so much rain that we have been unable to paint the other half and finish it. The pool was green but we just drained it as we clean an repaint the pool and deck each season around the third week in April. As far as the handgun sign is concerned we had an individual a couple years back that had a carry permit from another state and decided he was going to carry his "dirty Harry " pistol on his hip all day everywhere which made a few guests with children more uncomfortable than safe, we contacted the sheriffs dept and they recommended that we put that sign up so that we did not have that issue arise again, I like you keep a pistol in my vehicle on all family trips just as a safety measure and completely understand your concern. I do hope you will stay with us if you are back in the area as we are putting in those new sites and the pool will be clean and ready to go in about a month or so. Thanks again