Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground
$116
Country Inn
$110
  • Breakfast included
Staybridge Suites Chattanooga Downtown(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Royal Inn(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
$81
$76
$149
$124
Wingate by Wyndham Chattanooga(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
$76
$170
$111
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewscave tourgem panningbunk bedsrv tripswing setlaundry facilityfire pitruby fallstwo nightschattanooga areastaff was friendlycabinbathhouseraccoonswalmartattractionsrock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had read some of the other reviews, so was a little worried. Alas, there was no reason to.We tent camped with 5 adults and three girls 6-4-2. Place was clean and well lit. Playground and pool for the little ones. Bathrooms are what I have experienced in most campgrounds. My only complaint is that they need a larger hot water heater for showers. Maybe a coat of paint on restroom doors.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have stayed at this campground on several occasions and have toured the caverns many times. Though it may not be the newest campground in the area, it is the most convenient for visiting the tourist attractions. The sites are level gravel sites that are well maintained. There are go-carts for the kids and some shaded sites. Larger RV's like mine have to park in an area that is not as shaded, but this is not uncommon for over-sized RV sites. There are a few cabins and the owners are working to do upgrades. The wifi service was excellent as was the cable TV service. The pricing is reasonable for what is available. There is a nice well marked hiking trail to the top of the mountain. I have camped in enough campgrounds to know you pay for what you get and often you are paying for amenities you won't use. This is an excellent campground for most campers. I recommend it if you are visiting the area and want reasonable rates.

Room Tip: The RV sites vary in length. Be sure you contact the park to make sure your site will accommodate your RV
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tennessee50plus
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This site was horrible. The RVs were just lined up side by side, no trees in between, no privacy. Looked like a parking lot. The "primitive" camping sites backed up to a subdivision. We could literally throw a rock & hit the houses. It was awful. We drove 218 miles to get here & got back in the car & left. Very disappointing. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Sonya M
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I can't tell if this place is on the way up, or on the way down. There are parts that are brand-new and clean like the restrooms. They are the nicest, cleanest restrooms I have seen anywhere. He's building new campsites and buildings Then there are parts that are old, abandoned and neglected, even including old abandoned campers and athletic facilities. The swimming pool is green and gross and looks like it hasn't been used in a while. It had been raining for a few days when we arrived and everything was incredibly muddy. But our site was level.

Like a lot of families, I sometimes carry a legal handgun in the truck when I'm traveling with my family. This campground has a sign prohibiting all firearms including legally carried concealed weapons from the premises. I don't think I have run into that in this part of the country before. I have no objection to them doing so, after all it's private property and they can make any rules they like. But it makes for an awkward situation when you arrive and they haven't told you about that in their literature, web site, or when you make the reservation. So be advised that this campground has this rule and make your decisions accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank sp4042
CampRMC, Manager at Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for staying in our park. I am glad to hear that our facilities were clean, as far as the athletic facilities go we started a new shuffleboard area but have had so much rain that we have been unable to paint the other half and finish it. The pool was green but we just drained it as we clean an repaint the pool and deck each season around the third week in April. As far as the handgun sign is concerned we had an individual a couple years back that had a carry permit from another state and decided he was going to carry his "dirty Harry " pistol on his hip all day everywhere which made a few guests with children more uncomfortable than safe, we contacted the sheriffs dept and they recommended that we put that sign up so that we did not have that issue arise again, I like you keep a pistol in my vehicle on all family trips just as a safety measure and completely understand your concern. I do hope you will stay with us if you are back in the area as we are putting in those new sites and the pool will be clean and ready to go in about a month or so. Thanks again

Reviewed March 25, 2013

On March 4, I reserved a cabin for the weekend of March 22&23. A deposit was paid, additional reservations made for a cave expedition. I notified the property that we would arrive late on Friday night and requested their after-hours envelope. The only telephone contact I had was making the initial reservation. Upon arrival, no envelope was there. When I called the after hours phone number I was informed that someone had telephone and cancelled our reservation. They did ask for the reservation number or name of the person cancelling. I suspect, someone wanted this cabin and took a chance that they could get the existing reservation cancelled. It worked. We spent more than twice the money staying elsewhere. Throughout the staff was rude, unhelpful and insisted that someone in our party (my husband, his 17 and 23 year old sons) had cancelled. This was NOT true. At 10:30 at night they would not even help us by suggesting somewhere else. In frustration and anger, I pushed over 2 metal pieces of furnature on thier porch. They are now claiming $400 worth of damage. Absolutely outrageous. Beware. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank GroovyZelle
CampRMC, Manager at Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

This reservation was made on 3/4 at 12:44 pm as indicated, a deposit was charged and an email confirmation sent. Our records then indicate that on 3/13 at 1:13 pm someone in this party called to cancel the reservation. In accordance with our policy this deposit was refunded to the card and an email confirming that was sent. The cave expedition was not booked until 3/20, it was not made at time of cabin reservation, but was subsequently changed two more times and is handled by our cave office which is separate from the camp office. Three members of the party arrived on 3/22 at 10:04 pm and called the after hours number indicating they could find no envelope, while the office closed at 8pm an employee was still on site and opened to assist them. It was at this point that no envelope was present due to the cabin reservation having been cancelled on 3/13. At that point the guests said they were going back home to Atl. At 10:43 pm Mrs. Walls called the after hours number and was told the reservation was cancelled and gave the phone to Mr. Walls who asked for suggestions of lodging in the area. He was provided with recommendations. The next morning we noticed a glider and chair knocked over on our patio, so we reviewed our security camera footage and saw Mrs. Walls kick over the chair, the glider and also kicking our sign on the porch along with destroying our downspout on our gutter with her foot. The next morning her party arrived to take a cave tour and threatened to punch one of our employees for cancelling the reservation. We then contacted our local sheriff department and allowed them to review the security tapes and they saw Mrs. Walls smash the gutter, broke two railing pickets, and threw the glider over and bent a support member of it and scratching the paint off of it, which she may say is a fit of anger but the police describe it as vandalism and will not be tolerated in our family campground. I then contacted Mrs. Walls on Monday morning 3/25 and talked to her about the whole event and informed her that the damages needed paid or the sheriffs dept was going to issue a vandalism warrant. Instead of offering to pay the damages we incurred she said that she was contacting the BBB and would blast our park on all websites and media outlets, then hung up on me. We strive to maintain a family friendly atmosphere and will not tolerate such acts of vandalism.