“I am Still Being Overcharged by this hotel.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall
Ranked #28 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Chattanooga, TN, United States
“I am Still Being Overcharged by this hotel.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was/am Still being Overcharged a total amount of $1,022.57. On Dec 12th I noticed the huge money gap, which lead me to view on my online banking statement. It had numerous false and random purchases charged/held by, Country Inns & Suites, located in Chatt. TN. I called my Mastercard to see if they could help me fix this since the hotel wasn't really listening to nothing at first. Christmas was gettin soon and we needed to get this fixed as soon as possible as holidays were coming up, and money was gettin tight.
I logged on to my online banking account to print off All the transactions made within the month of December. I printed copies for the hotel, managers, front desk employees as well as myself also requested by my cardholder and metabank. I made it very easy every time. I circled every single amount, date, and time i was charged by Country Inns & Suites during my entire stay. After the manager and employees revised their receipts and the information I provided, proving all the charges that were incorrect totaled over one thousand dollars, The hotel then sent out their First Fax The morning of December 12th. This fax did not get approved and didnt contain all the information requested by the Card Carrier. I informed the employees that day and a second fax was sent out. I kept in touch with my cardholder at least every other day checking statuses if everything was correct ect. The Third fax didn't accept because i was told it was messy and and they need the manager to type it all and send along all the same exact info they had sent in the most recent Fax (The third), As told from the start when my card carrier explained exactly what need to be faxed. when the gave every detail to include in this "Formal Letter"
This below, is a picture of the FOURTH Fax sent (made out by) this particular hotel, Country Inns & Suites, just this morning Dec 28th. I Was assured by Meta bank that as long as the hotel provided all the correct information (the correct merchant ID #) They would release the One Thousand and Twenty two dollars directly after Meta bank revises an receives the fax which takes two hours at most they had informed me. It seems every fax the hotel has sent its either missing something or incorrect. The fourth fax was fine accept because the merchant ID number is wrong this time. Now Your Hotel manager is on vacation and wont release it to anyone including the manager who's name is listed on this "formal letter'.? Whats it take to get someone to print or type everything in One single Fax with all the information requested So I can finally get My Money Back that should of never been took out.?????

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NatenShell
Tori C, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I am so sorry that you are still having issues with this, and I promise you we are working diligently to get it resolved. I know how very frustrating this is. We are working on the solution right now and will continue to keep you in the know offline. Please, accept my apologies and know that I am working to resolve this for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This hotel is at a busy exit off I-75 and there are many restaurants nearby, some of which are within walking distance.

We not only spent a night here, but we also rented a meeting room to host a rehearsal dinner for our son and daughter-in-law’s wedding.

We made our arrangements several weeks in advance and, both by phone and in person, we told two different staff members (one of whom was the manager) that we would be arriving around 12 noon in order to decorate the meeting room for the rehearsal dinner we were hosting at 6:00 that evening. However, when we arrived to decorate the meeting room, we found that it had been rented out to another group, even though we had been told that for the price we were paying, we would have access to the room all day and evening. We were not able to get in to decorate until about 1:30, which hindered some of our other wedding-related plans for the afternoon. When we went to pay for the meeting room the next day, we were pleased to find that the manager had considerably reduced the rental price, which we do appreciate. Looking back now, I realize that we had never received anything in writing to confirm the time we were told we could have the room. If you decide to rent a meeting room here, be sure to get all of the details in writing.

When we first went to check into our suite, neither of our keys worked. After getting the keys fixed, we entered the suite, only to discover that the bed had not been made. Fortunately, the hotel staff was able to find us another available suite very quickly.

This was my first stay at Country Suites, and with these problems occurring within the first few minutes of our arrival, I was not given a very good first impression. However, the manager and other hotel staff members were very helpful, polite, pleasant, and professional at all times.

Our suite itself was roomy, consisting of a bedroom and sitting area separated by a glass-paneled door with a gauzy curtain.

The bedroom had a TV, a comfortable bed with four square pillows, two nice chairs, and a room-darkening drape at the window. All night long, we heard no noise outside or inside the hotel. The bedroom would have been more comfortable if we could have regulated the heat and air-conditioning unit better. No matter how we adjusted it, the room was either too hot or too cold at any given moment. Also, the bedroom lacks a mirror and a wastebasket, both of which would have been handy.

The sitting room had a TV, a table and chair, and a couch which folds out into a bed. The family member who slept on that bed said that it was pretty comfortable. The sitting room has its own thermostat, which seems to do a good job of keeping the temperature regulated in that part of the suite.

The bathroom was large, but there was no counter space, other than the few inches surrounding the sink. The shower worked well, with hot water readily available. The towels were of a good size, and everything in the bathroom looked clean.

The suite itself was fairly clean, except for some stains on the lower wall near the small kitchen area. The kitchen area offered a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, sink, and countertop. The refrigerator was a good size; it held some gallon jugs we needed to keep cold.

The hotel breakfast was all right. Hotel staff members were constantly on hand to see whether anyone needed anything. The choices included cooked oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, and brown sugar, a waffle maker, rubbery-looking eggs, warm cheese sauce, cold cereals, juices, coffee, yogurt, and assorted pastries. Both ceramic and disposable plates were available. The dining area was packed so full of tables and chairs that there was hardly any space to maneuver between them. Many of the guests came to breakfast in their pajamas, which lent a different atmosphere to the meal than I was expecting. If you do not care for the hotel breakfast, there is a Cracker Barrel just down the street.

I would consider staying here again, but given the vast selection of hotels in the Chattanooga area, I would definitely look at other options, as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tori C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am so sorry for the issues you experienced but glad that we got them all straightened out. I know that travel is a stressful experience, and having those initial plans go wrong really makes the rest of the trip tough, so I am glad that it all worked out. I hope that the next time you are in the area you give us another chance so that we can prove we have made improvements.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel so that we could see Ruby Falls the next day. It is a clean hotel with a helpful staff (especially Parmella) since we arrived late and called to make sure the room was saved. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. Breakfast was limited (sausage, potatoes and waffles that you could make )-we missed eggs but is was adequate. A nice place to stay for Ruby Falls.

Room Tip: Always ask for a top floor if you want a quiet experience!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay and I hope you enjoyed Ruby Falls! It is always nice when we get to host people on vacation, and I am glad you found that we met your needs. I hope that next time you are in the area you come and stay with us again, maybe for Rock City or the Aquarium this time!
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I frequently stay at the Country Inn & Suites so when I was looking for a hotel to stay at near the Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga, this was my first choice -- even though I had never stayed at this one before.

Upon arriving during the evening, the front desk clerk was very delightful, quite helpful, and very friendly. She even called my room later to see if everything was okay with it. Unfortunately, the phone had some sort of short in it, and I didn't even get a dial tone on it (much less see her message). Later the next day I accidentally bumped it, and the light came on, and I listened to her nice message.

The room was nicely decorated, clean, and had a small refrigerator and microwave. I didn't use either one, but I was glad they were available. The room was spacious, and the bed was quite comfortable. It was also fairly quiet in spite of a group of teenagers running down the hallway yelling and carrying on. It was after 10 pm, and I was glad for the good soundproofing so I could sleep well.

The room was very cold when I arrived, and it took the heating system all night to warm it up. It had an unusual set up where a built-in fan was supposed to pull the heat from the bedroom to the adjoining room. It was not very effective at doing this.

The breakfast was very good, and they offered a little more than what I have seen at some of their other hotels. The room was a little crowded, and I noticed that a large family of one of the employees was eating breakfast there. I don't know if this is common practice or not.

The hotel had a very nice (and warm) indoor pool. It did not have a hot tub like some of the other Country Inns & Suites I have stayed at. I also worked out in the small fitness center. Unfortunately, the television did not work very well in that room.

Would I stay there again? Probably. The positives certainly outweighed the few negatives. And more importantly the location was convenient to where I needed to be.

From some of the other positive reviews, I guess I expected a little more, but it certainly was sufficient for the couple of nights that I stayed there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the detailed review. I am glad that you found the positives outweighed the negatives, but I do apologize for those negatives. We are aware that at times the suites get unbalanced in the temperature and have instituted some changes to make them more comfortable. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will stay with us again!
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed at the country suites in Chattanooga on our way to see the fall colors in North Carolina. Called the hotel late on our way through Chattanooga and asked if there were any rooms left. Luckily, there were a few rooms and the night manager offered us a discount since we would be arriving late and leaving early. The rooms was very nice with a separate living room area and a small bar with a fridge and microwave. The rooms were quiet and comfortable. The next morning we enjoyed a great breakfast that was included Inte price of the room. Everyone in management was very helpful, polite and kind. The kitchen staff kept the breakfast area clean and filled with all the breakfast foods available at the bar. I recommend this fine hotel. It is conviently located close to the interstate and I have already recommended family & friends stay next time they are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tori C, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us, and I am so glad that you enjoyed the trip to see the colors! We love hosting people whether on vacation or on business but it is always extra special when the trip is for fun. I appreciate the time you took to review the hotel and I appreciate your referrals. Hope to see you next Fall!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We selected this hotel based upon past reviews by other travelers. We have consequently been delighted with the level of customer service and standard of this hotel. We have been made to feel very welcome and Tori the General Manager has gone above and beyond expectations to meet our special needs. Other staff have been equally helpful. The small matter of a broken light bulb was immediately seen to for example. We found the bed very comfortable and the sitting room very convenient as we were waiting to see if we would be able to fly home to Australia via NYC after the hurricane. The business centre was private and useful for us to make changes to our travel plans. The indoor pool was a great bonus. The hotel is a little way out of Chattanooga but quite close to the large Hamilton Place Mall and the airport, making it a very convenient location for our 5.30 am flight now fortunately to LA. All in all a great place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor right down the hall from the lobby and the public sitting area. The se...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am glad you made it safely home! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review and sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure having you stay with us!
College Grove, Tennessee
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here one night for a Special Olympics State Bowling Tournament. The staff was very nice and the room was nice. Had plenty of space with a tv in the bedroom and a tv in the sitting are. Room was clean and linens and pillows were nice. But the beds were like laying on a block on concrete! The only comfortable place I found to sit in the room was the desk chair, all the rest were as hard as the beds. The breakfast was the same bill of fare, gravy and biscuits, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, about all it did was fill you up, nothing outstanding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wow, I am so sorry about the bed in that room! I appreciate the time you took to share your comments, and I am glad that the rest of the accommodations and staff were to your liking, but truly I am sorry about the mattress. I will most certainly address it and get a replacement. Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review, and I hope you come give us a second chance!