Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall
Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

stayed for 10 days on business. Location is by the biggest mall in the area, great restaurants nearby. Good breakfast and two room suite. I recommend it!

Room Tip: stay up and towards the back
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tori C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

My stay at the Country Suites was for a weekend leisure trip rather than a business trip. Let's start out by saying it was not a terrible experience, but as a frequent business traveler, I have had much better.

Walking into the hotel, the first impression is a good one. There is a huge lobby that is welcoming and very clean. They have a small but nice business center, small fitness room and small indoor pool.

This was the first (and last) time I used an expedia "non-published rate hotel"...I have learned my lesson! I was traveling with my 10 year old son, and when we arrived they told us they had us booked in a suite with a king-size bed. I had entered on expedia that I was an adult traveling with a child, not sure why they would have booked me with a king-sized bed instead of 2 doubles. But ok, third party booking, I understand...but good customer service when a woman shows up with a 10 year old boy is to offer the room with 2 double beds. I explained the situation to the lady at the front desk, who said there was nothing she could do about it since it was booked by a "third party"- when she had told the guests waiting in line ahead of me that she had double/doubles available! But that one of us could sleep on the pull out sofa that was in the living room portion of the suite.

So I'm not really happy, but I'm tired at that point, so we get over that and head to the room.

The room was clean and spacious, and it was nice to have a flat panel TV in the living room and the bedroom. The king size bed had comfortable pillows and a comfortable mattress. The bathroom had good counter space to lay out toiletries. However, the pullout sofa (remember, the one that either my son or I has to sleep on) cushions had large stains on them.

And speaking of the pullout sofa, apparently the lady at the front desk has never slept on one, thinking it was a fine substitute for a bed. I let my son sleep in the bedroom, and I slept on the pullout - finally, after hearing everything that went on in the hallway because either the walls are thin or the door is not well-insulated (noise level was fine when you were in the bedroom with the door closed, but not from the living room where I had to sleep!).

The biggest problem I had with the room was the thermostat - we set the temperature in the bedroom to auto-temp at 68, however the heat wouldn't shut off automatically and it got like a furnace in the room. Since it was comfortable enough outside, we turned it off entirely. Unfortunately, I woke up at 4:00 AM freezing in the sofa bed (the hotel provided only sheets and a thin blanket for the sofa bed).

Aside from the issues with our room, my overall impression is that the hotel is trying to cut expenses in the areas that are most noticeable to guests, which is unfortunate.

As examples:
-We were offered no bottled water at check-in, which has become almost standard at other hotels in this price range.
-The "full, hot breakfast" offered here was one of the weakest I've seen. They were supposed to have "cheese omelets" and what was served was fried egg patties. There was no fresh fruit to be found, nor yogurt cups, nor much variety. The waffles were very good, though. If I'd been really hungry, I would have gone somewhere else for breakfast.
-Very cheap, basic toiletries in the bathrooms.
-There was coffee available in the lobby, but no decaf or herbal tea. There was nothing else available for guests in the lobby as are found in other hotels in this price range (i.e. cookies, fruit)
-The breakfast bar had only ceramic cups at the coffee station. There was a sign saying that if you wanted a paper cup and lid, to ask for one (really???)

These things would be fine for a budget hotel, but at the $117 per night that was the going rate when we booked it is overpriced - you can get much nicer hotels in that area.

So, I'm not sure if the people that rated this 4 and 5 stars don't have much to compare it to, or things have just gone downhill lately. Either way, I won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AmyNora1
I am so sorry that your experience was unpleasant. I have taken steps to ensure that we are being more proactive in communicating with out guests so that we can assist with problems before they have to leave unsatisfied. I assure you that we are working hard to correct these deficiencies. I do want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences here.
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed here for a family trip to Chattanooga. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean. The kids loved the indoor pool. They had a good variety for breakfast. Our only complaint was the heating system--we had to turn it up till we were hot before bed, but it was still quite cool in the room by morning. The hotel is very close to the mall and lots of restaurant choices. It's an easy drive to downtown for the attractions.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tori C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences via TripAdvisor. We really love being of servicce when people stay with us and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip. I will be in touch privately to find out more about the heating in your room as I do want to have it checked out so I can fix any problems. Again, thank you for your time in sharing a review and I look forward to speaking with you more soon. Happy travels!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

The staff was nice, rooms spacious and clean (although carpet was worn and stained) and location was good. The deluxe breakfast was average and out of syrup for waffles. So, we had to take the kids out to eat which really made me angry because we just spent too much money on the room (and we even got AAA discount!) Completely over priced for what you get especially, when you have to buy breakfast too. Our hotel on the ocean in south Florida (and bigger) was only $35 more per night! Won't be staying here again. Next time will go across the street for 1/2 the price!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Elenvin
I am so sorry to take so long to reply. I am distressed that you did not feel the hotel was a good value, especially since we do pride ourselves on offering more than just a room, and it is apparent we missed the mark in your case. I do apologize, and I hope that should you return to the area to spend time with us again, you will find it a completely different experience.
Ypsilanti, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

It was terrible kids running in the halls dashing in and out of the elevator almost knocked me down and people slamming doors. My sister and I could not get to sleep because of all the noise and we where so tired the next day when our family came to pick us up. People partying in their room with their doors open making all kinds of noise, we called down stairs several times to complain and no one answered the phone I had to go down stairs to tell the man at the front desk and all the parents where outside and the kids where unattended and the man at the front desk and he just said that's unappropriate and that was it the noise continued because the parents did nothing about it and neither did the person at the front desk.. I would not recommend this place and I will never stay there again when I come to visit my family in Chattanooga.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 110Pam110
I am so sorry to hear about this! I was not working at the hotel during this time but I have reviewed the incident and taken the appropriate measures to be sure this sort of thing does not happen again. Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the hotel so that I could address an issue I might not have otherwise known about. On behalf of the entire team here I do apologize for the situation, and I can promise that it will be entirely different should you stay here again. We all take pride in helping our guests and providing a safe, comfortable stay. We are focused on you, our guests, and making sure you have a great trip. I am sorry this was not the case when you were here, and I hope you will return and give me a chance to show you how we have improved.
WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

...and I almost forgot to review it! We vacationed in the South for ten days this spring and stayed just one night here. We nearly extended our trip in order to stay longer, the suite was that nice. Spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated, clean...we loved it. It outshone every similarly priced hotel we've ever stayed in.

The staff were also very friendly and professional.

How I wish that every hotel stay could be so pleasant. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

First time going to Chattanooga on business and being a hotelier for over 14 years, I was very impressed by the great Southern hospitality provided by all of the staff of this beautiful hotel.

I called to make my reservation on the phone, Front desk staff was knowledgeable and friendly.

Requested to be picked up from the airport upon arrival, a cab was per-arranged and waiting as my flight landed. Cab driver had actually left 2 voice mail messages to let me know he was outside waiting.

Hotel is only a 5-7 minute drive from the airport, check-in was fast and I was given keys to my room. Lobby was immaculate, hotel very inviting. Guest room was spotless and looked brand new as did the entire property.

Wake up calls were on the dot, not even a second or two off (wow)! Check-out was fast as well and yet cab waiting again at the exact time requested to take me back to the airport.

General Manager; Hannah Lemley, very professional & welcoming, did a splendid job!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chattanooga, TN.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business