“Great Service”

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My daughter was participating in the Head of the Hooch Regatta on the waterfront in Chattanooga. Having never visited Chattanooga before we weren't quite sure where to stay. After some research on TripAdvisor we decided to stay in the downtown area for access to the waterfront for the regatta on Saturday and at the same time it allowed us to experience the various dining and entertainment options downtown.
I made the reservation online with no trouble and elected for the ten dollar valet parking option. A couple days prior to arrival I called the hotel to request an early check in and the employee I spoke with was very helpful. Check in is normally at 4:00pm and we arrived at 2:00pm. I was prepared to not have a room yet but instead was greeted promptly and we had our keys in less than two minutes. The room was exceptionally clean as can also be said for the entire hotel. The location is not in the center of everything but there is a FREE electric (enclosed) trolley that runs from the resort to the waterfront every 5 minutes. We ate breakfast in the hotel at the buffet and the food was wonderful but again like everyone we met at the hotel it was the service. From the lady who greeted us to seat us to our server they couldn't have done a better job.
We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Chattanooga for impeccable service and clean updated accommodations.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rotos
TomCupo, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding the Chattanoogan and our staff. The Head of the Hooch Regatta is an amazing event held in Chattanooga and we are proud to host its participants. We are already looking forward to next year and hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We spent a weekend at the Chattanoogan to celebrate a friend's birthday. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The windows have black-out curtains and on Saturday morning I actually slept far later than usual - it was dark, cool and quiet - which was perfect for me.

We ate one meal in the hotel restaurant - Saturday lunch. It was a buffet and for $10 per person was very good. Apparently during the week the buffet is quite popular with the business crowd. They don't always have it on the weekends but we got lucky.

Our friends had the large suite with the mountain view and it was wonderful. They were entertaining lots of friends and family from out of town and the living area of the suite was large enough to accomodate 20+ people at a time. The hotel staff were also very accomodating with small requests to help host this large group.

The bar is also a big attraction - they have live music on the weekends and several in our group stayed in the bar to enjoy the jazz ensemble that was performing on Saturday night.

The free electric shuttle stops a block away from the hotel so even though the main downtown attractions are a ways away from the hotel, a quick shuttle ride gets you there in just few minutes.

My only minor complaint is that the bed was a little on the firm side for me. Since I slept so late it obviously wasn't a big problem!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smdaigle
TomCupo, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2010

We appreciate the great comments and look forward to your next visit...

Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel would be great for singles or married couples without small children. First of all there is no gift shop for getting things you may have forgotten. It does have a spa gift shop with a few medications, but not a full gift shop. Second it has very limited television channels. If you want HBO for example you would need an upgrade card for $12.99 a night and there is NO pay per-view movies. We had to watch shows on our laptop through our watch instantly netflix. At least this hotel does have free internet. The only other thing we were disappointed about was the noise in the halls at all hours of the night. The room was clean and the staff was friendly, but I would not recommend this hotel for small children.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Mommy80Huntindon_TN
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Beautiful clean elegant hotel. Highly recommended. Nice convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ucianteater
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband and I went for an anniversary trip. I book this hotel using my airline miles. The check in was very quick and service was friendly. The downside was the parking deck, which was $8/day. That money was worth it to me, because of the location of the hotel, I did not want to park on the streets. The restaurant had outstanding food and the service was great. The room was very clean. Nice comfy pillows and the sheets were not scratchy. I read a review where there was ink stains on the carpet--it is the style of the carpet. I thought there was ink on the carpet but it is just the coloring. (not to stay the other review didn't have ink on their carpet). Big bathroom and tub/shower combo that was very clean, no staining in the tub. Not much of a view, but the hotel is right downtown. I read other reviews and was very caution about staying here, but I went ahead and booked the room and we enjoyed our stay. Very close to all of the attractions, within a couple of miles of everything. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jolen4bama
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We were very pleased with our stay at The Chattanoogan. Our room was clean, the service was good, and the location just a few blocks from the free shuttle was convenient. The room was a little more spacious than at other hotels. The only problem with our room was that the bathroom door didn't lock, but we could work around that. We didn't eat at the hotel, mostly because we prefer to eat at local restaurants. There were plenty of restaurants that were suggested by the front desk personnel, and each one we tried was wonderful. The parking garage is attached to the hotel, but on the far end. The walk from the parking deck was comfortable, as you can enter the hotel and walk in the air conditioned hotel corridor. I would recommend this hotel without reservation and we'd stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank family4florida
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We spent our anniversary weekend (7/30-8/1/10 at the Chattanoogan.
I had read the reviews on here, and would not have picked this hotel based on the reviews,BUT, BUT, the manager, answered on here that they had revamped the hotel, non smoking, new everything on the 4&5th floors. So we decided to give it a try & asked for a room on the "refurbished" floor.
I even told the supervisor & hotel manager that I was doing a review for weekend stay-cations for a blog review. (they didn't seem to care) I asked WHEN the revamp was. I was told 6-1 yr ago! I asked WHAT had been replaced. AND was told only the mattress & carpet was replace. Maybe the matteress, but the carpet was disgusting.
Here's my rundown as to why it's not worth 160.00 a night:
1-all the floors, even the "refurbed" floors smelled of mold/mildrew--nasty
2-no mini-fridge in any rooms
3-bedding is frayed & worn
4-all furniture is worn (chairs, tables, ect)
5-the sinks/tubs in the baths are VERY slow to drain, while showering you find yourself staning knee deep in water, (nasty in my opinion) while brushing your teeth you find the sink in overflowing.
6-housekeeping woke us up at 9:00am wanting to clean our room-REALLY.
7-when we did come back for the day, the bed WAS made, but they did not bother to clean the toilets or bathtub.
YES, I addressed the worn state of the "reburbished" rooms w/ management. They did not seemed concerned. So please don't refute this & say you tryed to fix any of our complaints.
We added the breakfast to our package...eat at McDonalds. save some money. very Bland.
We added aquarium tickets at the same cost as buying them there. They only difference is it took twice as long, because you still have to stand in the long lines to have the switched from "vouchers" to aquarium tickets. There is no price break buying them at the hotel, you just have to stand in line the same as buying them at the aquarium. No benefit.
We were VERY disappointed in the quality that we paid for. I truely believe I could have gotten the same thing at a Motel 8.
After lookin at the Marriott downtown, I do believe that is where we will spend our next Chattanooga getaway. And have alot more money left over to do other things.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family