“Just Average”

GreenLeadersGold level
Newnan, Georgia
“Just Average”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

First of all, this was a decent hotel. It wasn't over the top. It wasn't a dump. It was okay. We purchased our stay at Prieline.com and got the room for about 60% of the published rate. I would be VERY upset if I had paid full price for this room. When we got there, we parked in the parking garage and toted our baggage across the courtyard. It is not too far, but I wouldn't want to carry a week's worth of luggage across the way. We got to the desk and the attendant was in training, so it took a while to get checked in.

Our room was average. The beds were not comfortable. Instead of using real pillow-top mattresses, they had a thick pad that laid on top of the mattress. It was not very comfortable. I would think that a "four star" hotel would go ahead and spring for the nice mattresses. Also, the room had a huge television armoire that had a nice opening for the television, but for some reason the tv was sitting on top of the armoire. Again, not a big deal for comfort, but it didn't look like the way a nice hotel would do things. Keep in mind that the rooms apparently do not have refrigerators, so don't plan on bringing back leftovers from dinner.

You do have to pay to park, something that you have to deal with at most downtown hotels. The hotel is very convenient to the free downtown shuttle system, so it is a good option for those wishing to visit the Chattanooga riverfront.

All in all, enjoy your stay here, but do not pay the full price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My family has stayed at this hotel twice now, both times in the month of November. Does this hotel ever have any significant occupancy? Each time, we feel as if we are the only people staying in the hotel, staffed with just enough employees to barely get by. Service is practically nonexistent. Again, we figured November must be their low season and so they staff it accordingly. It gives you an eerie feeling walking down the halls in the evenings.

Having said that, once we are in our rooms, it is a very pleasant experience. We stay in a suite with a connecting double bed room. You cannot beat the price for the accommodations - comfortable beds, large bathrooms, nice amenities.

One weird thing though: We had called down to have the inner doors to the connecting rooms opened. After 30 minutes of waiting and one call down to the front desk, the employee just unlocked and entered our hotel room without knocking first. I think he saw the shock on my face and was a little embarrassed. Needless to say, we used our chain on the door after that.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tuktuktravel
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed December 12, 2009

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Chattanoogan in Nov 2009. The hotel is very nice. The employees were extremely friendly and helpful. The one time we had dinner in the Broad Street Grille was wonderful. The food was excellent and the service fantastic. We have visited Chattanooga many times over the years and we always enjoy it. This was one of the best experiences we have ever had there. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MDBackstop
crazyaboutpunker
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary and decided to splurge and get a nice hotel in Chattanooga (many thanks to Priceline.com). We are so glad we did!! The lobby was beautiful- a nice fireplace and large Christmas tree. The staff was very helpful- everything we asked they said "absolutely" to. The room was nice and spacious. The best part though were the amenities- a spa, sauna, steam room, indoor pool, nice terrace, and outdoor fire pit. We really felt like we were on vacation when we were able to get in the sauna and relax before a nice dinner. After dinner, we were able to drink a wonderful bottle of wine in the lobby next to the fire place (with the live jazz music from next door playing.)

Overall, it was an excellent experience. My only criticism is that when we asked the front desk staff for a dinner recommendation they seemed unconfident in their recommendations. If you stay here- remember to bring your bathing suit!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crazyaboutpunker
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I stayed up all night reading reviews to get just the right hotel for our anniversary weekend.
We had a sitter for our 4 kids and I did not want to have a disappointing hotel experience, considering it had been 15 years since we have been away without kids.
The hotel exceeded my expectations. We ordered the "romance package" which we were informed at check in, gave us a 2pm checkout.
From the moment you enter the lobby the hotel was beautiful. Fire pits on the patio and a huge inviting fireplace in the lobby.
Our package included champagne, chocolate strawberries and with it they delivered organic bath soaps. Breakfast the next day was a huge buffet. As we ate dinner in the Art District that night before, the waitress recommended the hotel for the best brunch in town. But breakfast was fantastic and plentiful. It might as well have been brunch there was so much food.
We will be returning. Next time bringing our swimsuits for the roof top pool.
My husband said the bed was a bit firm for him but other than that we had a fantastic stay. Great hotel I can see why it is rated highly by AAA.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank momof4AtlantaGA
USA
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We did not get any sleep or relaxation on our trip. We heard screaming, yelling, laughing in the hallway until 5 am the next morning. We called the front desk numerous times and the noise kept going. Nobody did anything about it!. Then someone started kicking and beating a door of one of the neighboring rooms and yelling at someone in the room who had locked him out. It was truly a nightmare. Also, the room was gross, the carpet had stains and the bed was not made well. I got in the bed praying someone had washed the sheets. I asked for non-smoking, but my room smelled musty. Also, they do not offer regular television channels, unless you payd $13 extra. Hello, I can pay $50 and stay at Motel Six and get HBO....

We drove 5 hours for this!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brownie334
Nashville
Reviewed November 14, 2009

From the moment I pulled up to this beautiful property, I was welcomed with "Southern Hospitality." The valet staff were very heplful with luggage and directions. Next, I encountered the front desk staff who were also just as accomodating. The beds were wonderful and I really enjoyed the workout room and spa. Looby bathrooms were extremely clean and houskeepers seemed friendly. I would definitely recommend The Chattanoogan to friends!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo