“Disappointed, not worth it.”
Review of The Chattanoogan

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed here for a convention and gave up the Marriott that is connected to the convention center for the Chattanoogan because we thought it was going to be a lot nicer and more like a resort. We hardly could find the place for all the trees surrounding the place and lack of signage on the road. When we got there there was nothing fancy or unique about the place. It wasn't bad but it wasn't worth the walk to the convention center. I was really regretting cancelling the Marriott reservations but we dealt with it. Like I said, it wasn't bad, just nothing special. The beds were uncomfortable too. BTW, they need to update the photo on here of the courtyard. Those trees are covering the building now where you can't see anything.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank travelboy2007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed August 30, 2009

This hotel was recommended by a friend of mine who has attended several events in the ballroom. After booking the hotel and then reading several reviews on this site, I was a little skeptical about my stay. I have to say all my reservations were reversed over the several days spent here. If you are planning on walking to the aquarium, I would say stay somewhere else. Chattanooga however has a great electric bus that will pick you up one block from the hotel and it goes the 13 blocks to the aquarium and even across the river. It runs every 5 minutes and is very convenient running up and down Market street. The rooms are very nice. Our room, the Deluxe King, had a Flat screen TV and a very nice bathroom with marble countertops. We didn't eat at the restaurant but did have a drink at the Bar and sat outside around the firepit which was very romantic.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trav520
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I stayed at the Chattanoogan for a weekend with my husband and our preschool-age daughter. The hotel's webpage described it as a resort-style place within walking distance of major attractions. The hotel does have a nice atmosphere, but it turned out to be about a mile away from downtown-- too far to talk in the 90 degree heat, with a small child. While the lobby is pretty and the rooms are attractive, the service was not what you would expect from a 4-star hotel. The maid service didn't get around to cleaning our room while we were there, so we didn't get fresh towels, etc. until we specifically requested them (To be fair, we had the "do not disturb" sign out for most of the afternoon while our child napped, so it may be that we shouldn't fault them for not being able to come in in the morning to clean).

We did use the spa and the pool, which were nice, and we ate one morning at the hotel restaurant, where the food was good. But we were disappointed with the lack of some other amentities-- the coffee shop/bakery turned out to be closed during our visit so there was nowhere to grab a quick breakfast bite. The rooms did not have Disney channel or pay-per-view so in the evenings when we came back to the room, we couldn't find anything suitable for our child to watch on t.v. And the pool doesn't have a shallow end so our daughter couldn't really play in it to the extent that we would have liked.

We probably would have been more satisfied with the hotel if it had billed itself more honestly as being slightly outside downtown Chattanooga, and if we had not been overcharged for the stay. I reserved in advance on-line and found an internet special of $115 a night-- the deal was that you had to pay in advance (non-cancellable, non-refundable) for this "Best rate." But when we checked in, we heard the staff offering rooms for that night for $90 to walk-in customers. So if you plan to stay here on a slow weekend, you'd probably be better off to talk in and barter with them to see what the best rate really is.

This place is okay, but for the price, you could probably do better.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank amy924
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Save your money... this is no Urban Retreat! The hotel had minimal life form including staff and guests. The recession has hit this area hard. Warehouse Row is no longer - so no retailers are nearby, which is the primary reason we selected this hotel. The rooms are decent and the fitness center was good. The spa was not open and no one was available to schedule appointments. The indoor pool was big but way too much chlorine is being used in the pool. Self-parking is available for $8/day but it is too far from the hotel and not worth it. Just park on the street with meters. After 4:30pm, the meter parking is free. For more bang for your buck, choose a property closer to downtown, e.g. Marriott, Sheraton - at least you will be able to walk around and be easily accessible to restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank NoService
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This place is close to the Chattanooga Choo Choo and there are "free" shuttles to the downtown river area.

The reason I gave this a 3 star is because the Marriott and hilton are closer for about the same rated price of around $150 per night. The rooms were very nice and very clean.

We got a rate of $89.00 with free parking so I assume that it pays to call and dicker with the staff about the rate.

My wife and I like the rooms, but the self parking was a little of a hike. We felt like most people would almost be forced to use valet parking. This is common in larger cities we ave visited, but not Chattanooga.

I would say also that you should ask to be away from the bar area as it seemed very loud.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John T
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I made a reservation for this hotel and requested a non smoking room. My reservation was confirmed. I called the day of check in to tell them I would be a late check in was assured via phone they wouldn't resell my room.

After a long day, I arrived at the Chattanoogan ready to settle in and do a few hours of work before an important meeting the next day in Chattanooga. I get to the hotel around 8pm and am told they only have 2 rooms left and they are both non smoking.

I explain to the front desk person, that won't work. I don't smoke and don't like cigarette smoke or any of the smells it leaves behind despite efforts to mask them. I don't tell the desk person this but aside from that given the air quality lately I have found my breathing very sensitive and don't need/desire any additional pollutants.

He offers and ionizer but says I will have to be out of the room while they do that. I have fallen for that trick before and find the smell never leaves really.

I could understand this situation if I just showed up without a reservation or even if I hadn't called to confirm my late check in.

I think the thing that angered me the most was the non chalant attitude of the desk person when he said there was nothing he could do because there were no rooms left. This is HUGE to me because as a non smoker I don't want to live in a room that has any remnant of smoking or more importantly I don't want to leave and have any of my things smelling like any hint of smoke. The guy acted like it was no big deal. This is NOT the same as having to take a room with two double instead of king or not getting the view I requested. I would have taken a room in the basement at this point but I would not have taken a smoking room and I think it was really inappropriate of them to attempt to pawn that off on me with no warning and when I had confirmed I would be late.

I told the guy I wasn't staying there and to give me a phone book so I could find another hotel because there was no way I was staying there or giving them one penny of my money.

The representative did call another hotel nearby and checked availability and I must say that the Chattanoogan paid for my stay elsewhere. I appreciate the act but by then the damage was done. I had looked at that hotel when I made my travel reservation and deliberately did not not choose it . I instead chose the Chattanoogan because I was familar with it and had enjoyed the restuarant during a luncheon previously. IF I HAD WANTED TO STAY IN THE OTHER HOTEL I WOULD HAVE BOOKED THERE TO BEGIN WITH!

Despite their effort to pacify me, I still insisted on talking with a manager to tell him what I thought of what they had done.

He was apologetic but I wanted to let him personally know how inappropriate I thought this was and how they had inconvenienced me:

I live 2 hours from Chattanooga and could have driven up early the next day for my meeting. I decided to make it stress free and spend the night at a nice hotel. I even chose a package with buffet breakfast and valet parking to give me a stress free 24 hours for this meeting. An "Urban Retreat"....ha

I had already mapquested my route from the Chattanoogan to my meeting.

I had plans to get up and enjoy a nice buffet breakfast because I knew my day would be busy. At the hotel they sent me to. I went to the resturant and there was no staff to seat anyone. The person disappeared and was no where to be found even after I waited a few minutes. I ended up grabbing a biscuit at a fast food place on the way to my meeting.

I had to contact several people to let them know of my change in location.

To top if off, I had several hours of work to do that night and this proved counter productive to my entire goal of having a stress free evening and trip for this meeting. I could have easily saved my money and stayed in the comfort of my own home which is FREE OF STALE CIGARETTE SMELLS.

Again in fairness I must say the Chattanoogan paid for the stay at the other hotel (READ HOUSE SHERATON) BUT AS A RESULT OF THIS EXPERIENCE I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BOOK OR STAY AT THE CHATTANOOGAN AGAIN....EVER.

I guess despite a credit card to guarantee your room they only give a crap if you get in early. And they shouldn't bother putting non smoking as a request if they can't honor it. Again this is in a different class than bed size and should be respected or don't take the reservation.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank traveladdict520
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My wife and I took a short trip to Chattanooga for Memorial Day weekend, pretty much on a whim. Last minute, but The Chattanoogan was happy to accomodate us even on such short notice. I checked around the city and their rates were right on par with some of the other properties that claim to be "full service". From the moment we got there until we left we were thrilled! The valet service was prompt and friendly...front desk was smiling and very courteous, even though the place was very busy. We had no trouble checking in. The room was great, a good size, comfortable. Since it was spur of the moment we didn't have any plans so we just hung out at the hotel for the most part...and the hotel made that very easy. We visited the bar (The Foundry) which had some of the best martinis we've had...listened to the live music that was playing...had some appetizers (which were enough to satisfy us). The bed was very comfortable and we slept in the next morning. Breakfast was a huge buffet that had everything I wanted and then some...well worth it! We wandered around the city...not a bad walk to most everything downtown, though I guess we could have taken the city's free shuttle if we wanted. We found out that the hotel also has a day spa and checked it out...looks great, and their menu has a ton of services to choose from...and very reasonable prices. But we skipped any appointments this time (we'll make sure to plan them next time).
Every so often I travel on business, and I know for sure where I'll be going from now on when I'm in Chattanooga. And the next time my wife & I get some time away we will be back here.
There is no other hotel in Chattanooga that can compare to this.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple