“Employees nice, but poorly trained” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chattanoogan

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
“Employees nice, but poorly trained”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

The hotel is supposed to be a Spa hotel. It has an open, airy, contemporary look; however, it does not seem to take its
"spa-ness" seriously. I read somewhere that it is owned by the city (could be wrong) but if so, that might explain some of the things we experienced.

When we arrived, the computer would not accept our debit card for parking or "incidentals". I was immediately concerned about identity theft b/c I knew there should not be a problem. We moved to a credit card. That didn't work either so I knew it was their system. But, we moved to another credit card. Despite my assurances that it MUST be on their end, the desk employee did not see the need to really look into it.

When the third card failed, rather than really trying to solve their problem, the man on duty said we would have to pay cash for parking and would not be able to charge anything to our room during our stay. Not a huge deal, but he didn't seem to understand that his job was to solve his problem, not add to mine by requiring us to pay cash for food, parking, coffee, etc. over the next three days.

When I got to the room & discovered my debit card had not been returned, I went downstairs. At this time, I was told the original debit HAD gone through. Now I am wondering whether parking had been charged to the other two credit cards...not to mention I had already paid cash for it too.

I later went to the spa for a list of services when I could not find one in the room. I was told that they had "run out of those," but the very nice person on duty offered to tell me what was available. Knowing that it was too much to remember prices, hours, and particulars of a green tea mud facial vs an ostrich egg compote facial (tongue in cheek) I declined to listen. It was my birthday weekend, but too much trouble for me to try to remember if it was too much trouble for them to photocopy a list.

There was one robe in the room. However, it was extremely thin...very cheap. We had three wash cloths...for my family of four. It was obvious there were four of us. In three more days, we never received enough washcloths. I always re-use my towels even when not asked via hotel literature, but being required to share wash cloths over four days is a bit much. My aunt had one that was never replaced in her room. We never got a complete set of bath products. I don't know if they were out, but we would get 2 lotions one day, no conditioner. The next day, we got nothing.

On Sunday night the hotel restaurant was closed. We were pretty tired and really wanted to dine in. The servers in the bar were extremely nice and served us and one other family in the otherwise empty dining room. Our server did let a lot of irritation show on her face when my 90 year old aunt requested a "special" salad - lettuce, tomatoes, carrots (like a house salad)- rather than a Caesar which was on limited menu. Since the kitchen was really closed, there wasn't any bread. The server recovered pretty quickly when we thanked her profusely for allowing us to eat. She was exceptionally nice as dinner went on.

ALL of the employees, in fact, were very nice people. They just have not been trained in customer service...not the attitudes of a spa hotel....which I usually think of as service-oriented. We paid $175 a night...not too expensive, but usually you get better aattention to service details at this rate.

• Disliked — Lack of attention to detail in customer service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelloverAlabama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jackson, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while in town for the 3 state 3 mountain bike ride and thought it was great. The room was quite spacious and the bathroom was also very spacious (although, I think we might have had a handicapped room so maybe that was why the bathroom was so large). Most importantly the bed was very very comfortable. Since we were in town for the bike ride it was vital that we got a good nights sleep and this hotel delivered! The staff was very helpful and hospitable. We were looking for a specific cuisine on Friday night and the the front desk was most helpful and suggested the perfect place! We had brunch there on Sunday and it was very good. They were short on help in the restaurant which was frustrating but the food was quite good. The location of the hotel is exceptional. It's within walking distance to most places and although is not directly on the free electric shuttle route it's not a far walk to one of the stops. All in all, we would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

I booked a room at the Chattannogan the night before my husband had an intereview. My priority was a quiet room and good bedding for a sound night's sleep--we these and more. The lobby is beautiful, with a fireplace and places to sit and read. The restaurants looked nice, but we didn't have time to try them out. Our room was very clean and elegantly furnished. It had excellent bedding and a nice bathroom. Really, the whole hotel was more chic than I was expecting.

The front desk staff were professional and helpful.

The hotel is not as close to the downtown sites as some others, but there is a free downtown shuttle--and from what I can gather this hotel tends to be a bit cheaper than those right by the aquarium, etc. Also, it offers rooms with 2 doubled beds--which most of the downtown hotels do not (a puzzling fact in a town that seems family-friendly otherwise).

My only complaint is about the woman who was working in the fitness center/spa area. When I asked to have a locker key, she said that they were all full--even though I could see that at least 3/4 of the lockers were empty. When I told her that they all appeared empty, she said that she had to hold them for people with spa appointments. But there must have been 25 open lockers. So I am not sure what that was about, but she was unpleasant about it to put it mildly.

The fitness center had all the basics and was clean, with TVs in front of the treadmills. I didn't go in, but the pool looked quite nice--it is at the top of the building next to the fitness center and spa in a glass-enclosed room.

• Liked — bedding
  • Disliked — spa attendant's attitude
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Nashville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Staff was very rude and condescending.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank gabbyk
The Big Chicken
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

My husband and I were ther the weekend of 1/25-1/27/08 for a conference. The room was very nice, however when we requested maid service our ice bucket was not emptied, used drink glasses were not taken and the room robe was not replaced. The martini bar and entertainment were quit fun and expensive. $10.00 per small martini. The main restaurants lunch and dinner food was terrible. Poor choices and dried up meats. Breakfast was fine if you enjoy a buffett.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank onpointe
Knoxville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

My husband and I went to Chattanooga for a weekend getaway to celebrate my birthday. The staff was very welcoming. The room was beautiful. The temperature in the room was perfect. No weird smells. My husband and I had the romance package. The Bath and Body Works gift basket came in a nice purple and gold basket with a full size Jasmine Vanilla lotion and shower gel. The champagne was okay. We were expecting a box of chocolates and were slightly dissapointed to have 4 chocolate covered strawberries from the hotel restaurant. But other than that, it was great. The breakfast the following morning was an upscale buffet, they had omelets made to order. It was delicious and filling. The wait staff was very attentive. We will make chatta

**To our surprise the check in time was 4:00 p.m. We thought it would be earlier. However, our room was ready by 1:00 and they let us go ahead and check in.****

• Liked — The comfortable bed and the great breakfast
  • Disliked — The champagne
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chgilbert
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

We had a nice family stay at The Chattanoogan. Althought the resort is formal, as a vacationing family with young children we never felt out of place. Very clean, modern, attractive rooms. This was one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed at. Friendly staff, nice grounds, good experience, overall.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family