“Bad honeymoon location”

Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our review is mixed.

On the outside the location is very nice, and I imagine in the summer it's really nice being located downtown and all. With that said not a great options for a special getaway. Seems more business services driven than a romantic relaxing getaway.

We were married this last weekend, and booked a weekend in Chattanooga for a relaxing low-key honeymoon. We got there and the staff was really great. Very friendly and helpful. We got to our room, and we didn't like it. The rooms seem outdated, small, and the beds are really high off the ground. For us with a small dog that was a factor, but for most people probably not. We had a personal emergency and so we had to leave back to Nashville so in all fairness we weren't there long, but the initial impression of the room wasn't great. Again, I think this is a very acceptable hotel if we were in town for a business trip or visiting family, but for a honeymoon it didn't really do it for us. The TV's in the room were really small too.

Overall clean and friendly staff, and the hotel bar and restaurant looked nice, but for us on a honeymoon with a small dog looking for a something more romantic not really for us. It says a 4-star hotel, but I guess we had a different expectation of what that meant.

I'd still give them a fair chance, but unless you can get a suite, we had a king room, I don't know that it'll be that great for a romantic type weekend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjfrisbie
LauraBatchelor, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! Thank you for your review of our hotel and I am sorry we didn't meet all your expectations we are glad that you had a good experience with our staff. We hope you visit our hotel again when you have time to experience our facilities and downtown Chattanooga.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is nice. We had few little road bumps. SPA is amazing!!! I highly suggest it. We had hot water issues. We were told it just takes a little while because we are on 3rd floor. We had to wait from 4-12mins for water to be warm enough to get in. I have medical issues and needed a massage. The SPA was awesome!! They made up for the not having warm water.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you were able to enjoy the spa! We look forward to having you back at the Chattanoogan in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were disappointed in this hotel. We had expected better for the price. We are staying here now on a groupon discount which was based on a price of $220 so we paid half & unfortunately have to stay here for 3 nights. The location is not great...too far from the river & the hotel itself is nondescript. It has no personality at all. We are on the 5th floor but the view is a big parking lot. The room is clean & the towels are nice but our tub doesn't drain. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Looks all the same to us..thats the problem. Its just a huge building with absolutely no character
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and hope that you consider staying again in the future so that we can show you the wonderful hotel that we are.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was here for our company's annual business meeting, you know the kind of meetings where you never have time to leave the hotel. I found the staff to be nice & helpful. The rooms were good, quiet, I did not hear noise from other rooms and the beds very comfortable. I was out like a light the moment my head hit the pillow. I did think the layout of their meeting rooms were good, although the map provided in our conference packet it was hard to read the names of the meeting rooms, but since the meeting space was in a retangle, it wasn't too hard to find the room I needed to be in. Food was included in the conference, so it was buffet dinner at the restaurant. I liked their salad bar, which had a good variety of toppings to select from. I was a bit sorry for my co-workers that there were not as much "variety" for those who are vegetarians, or for those going meatless during Lent. But they did not starve either. One day they did have jambayla, which had a lot of chicken bones in the dish. I tried to get a helping without bones, but that was impossible. Either leave the chicken on the bones, or remove the bones from the dish. Otherwise I thought the food was good. I also thought their bar had a decent selection including local beer on tap. Do try the Chattanooga Stout, it was excellent. In general I thought this was a good conference hotel. For those that can get out and see some of the sights, this hotel is 15 minute walking distance to Chatanooga Choo-Choo Train and Aquarium. I only know this because we had a group of walkers that got up early before the conference started to get some exercise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Carol D
LauraBatchelor, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to offer the detailed review of your recent stay here for a conference. We always have at least one local seasonal beer on tap so when your travels bring you back to Chattanooga there will be a new one for you to try!
Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to your return

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a cozy, smaller hotel. The service was great, excellent, but the hotel needs a little revamping. The valet service is nice, but if you choose to self-park, the parking deck is not too far. The hotel lobby looks a little more modern that the rest of the hotel. It is warm and inviting and the fireplace is a nice touch. The floors and rooms, however, look much older than the hotel actually is. The rooms smell musty and the furniture isn't as nice as I expected. I was there for a bachelorette party. Since we were having a shower in the room, this was something I cared about. I stayed in a suite. The beds look nice and the bathrooms too. However, the tub/shower was a little odd. The size is very nice, but you might have to get a running start to get in the thing. Make sure to bring your own pillow. Theirs look nice and fluffy, but soon turn to rocks.

The Sunday brunch is worth going to. It's $10 and very delicious. Nothing fancy, but worth the money.

Room Tip: I self-parked my car. The deck is not far and the gate was never down, so it was free instead of the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
LauraBatchelor, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

While we appreciate your compliments about our staff and facilities, we apologize for that you were not happy with the room smelling musty. We have shared your review with our management staff, for without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. I am glad to know that despite some mishaps you still very much enjoyed your stay.
The Sunday Breakfast is $10 if purchased ahead of time when making the reservation but our Sunday Brunch is $21.95. Our breakfast is so good that people often confuse it for Sunday Brunch!
We appreciate your continued patronage in choosing The Chattanoogan Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2013

The lady behind the desk was actually interested in serving me! Very gracious, I checked in early, room was clean, great view! Location is good, not great! View was blocked a bit by the parking deck. There was an indoor fireplace and an outdoor fireplace.

I am coming back with the wife! Great spot for a getaway!

BUT it was a great stay, nice people, great bed, super clean! The restaurant smelled wonderful but I ate at Sugar's Ribs, Porkers, and Cheese Burger, Cheese Burger (guy trip)!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank skidawg

We certainly strive to make every guest's experience at The Chattanoogan outstanding and I am glad you enjoyed both our hotel and our city. You discovered several of our great restaurants in town!
For your return visit with your wife you should go online to our website as we have some great getaway package.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Chattanoogan

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent over night here yesterday (Jan31-Feb1). The hotel is only about 11y old. Nice foyer and lobby with a 2-sided fireplace in the center. Very open and spacious. Staff was pleasant and welcoming. Even though the address is 1201 S Broad, the main entrance is between 12th & 13th Streets on the back side. A little confusing when you come at night, and are directed there by GPS. We had a pleasant room on the top floor (Fifth). And dinner and breakfast at the restaurant on the propery, Broad Street Grille. - It was very cold in Chattanooga last night (30o), the outdoor firepit next to the front entrace looked inviting and the flame was warm; the concrete benches around it were not! :) - We will come back and try other facilities of this hotel, Foundry Lounge, and their Spa facilities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank William G

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you had a great experience! We look forward to having you back at the Chattanoogan (maybe when it’s a little warmer) so you can experience the outdoor firepit and our other amenities!