“Highly Disappointed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Darien, Illinois
“Highly Disappointed”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked a week at this hotel mainly due to the hotel's boasting of their only 4 star resport in Chattanooga. When you refer to yourself in such a light, you should be ready to deliver.

Upon arriving at this hotel, we noticed the lobby was dark but nicely decorated. We were assigned room 534. Once we arrived at the room we were really disappointed. The furnishings were sort of beat up, the room was small, there was red nail poilsh on the chair, there were 3 tiny drawers to store 4 family member's belongings (2 parents, 2 children). We could also hear other conversations from our room. Not a good surrounding when trying to get your children down for a nap.

I called the front desk to explain our situation and they moved us to a different room and we were also told we would be upgraded to a suite after day 3 of of stay. Great.

Night two the fire alarm went off at 11pm. We were told that a kid on the 3rd floor pulled the alarm. Pretty typical since children were running up and down the halls without supervision since we arrived. This is the type of folks who you will see at this establishment, just to let you know.

Day three, we locked some belongings in the safe. Later that day we were unable to open the safe. The maintenance crew was also unable to open the safe with the hotels' password. The safe was jammed. The maintenance staff's answer was to bring a crowbar and start hammering away. That didn't work. We were told that they'd have to call the mfg for help. The manufacturer was closed on the weekends so we had to wait til Monday. Soooo, we have no pictures of Ruby Falls. Our camera was in the safe, as well as our childrens video games.

In short, while the maint staff called the mfg, the maint staff told the safe mfg that he purchased the safes at Home Depot. Nice. Still unable to open the safe, it had to be removed and drilled open. We were two days without our belongings.

Our toiletries were not replaced daily. I think we had shampoo on only two days. Our sheets were not replaced during our entire 7 day stay. I know this because my daughter fell asleep with lip gloss on on night one and left a small spot on the pillowcase. That spot remained for our entire trip.

Back to the offer of the suite. After hearing nothing further of the move to the suite, I inquired about it. I was told that they have no bed suites, only one bed and a couch that pulls out to a bed. I explained that we'd just stay in our regular room since my husband and I both have bad backs, it would be better to sleep on a regular bed. There was no offer of anything else to compensate us for our troubles. It was take it or leave it.

Restaurant--not a good choice for breakfast. I ordered a waffle one day and it tasted like raw batter. They serve a nice variety but it's the same dang thing every day.

I will definately not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Janeb1368
LauraBatchelor, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We work to provide a relaxing, carefree atmosphere for our guests and it is clear after reading your review that your experience with us was not of the caliber we strive for. We regret that your camera was locked in the safe and you were not able to take all the vacation pictures you wanted.
Your review is invaluable to us and will be utilized as part of our ongoing mission to improve upon the service we offer. It would be our sincerest pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back so that we may change your impression of our resort.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When I booked the room I was assured that there was a nice spa (there was) and that it was a well rated hotel (it was, for a business hotel), and that there would be no bed bugs (there were), though I must note that the manager stripped the room and there were none the second night, but we were offered no discount or other compensation.
The "wonderful" restaurant was a buffet, the bar was boring and the bartender was surly and looked like he did NOT like his job. We had breakfast the first morning and it was a buffet. We do not like cafeterias and avoid them so we ordered from the menu. The waiter went to the buffet and grabbed my bacon from the greasy, stuck together bin.
We will not be back. We really enjoyed the town, the Hunter museum, the aquarium, and the local food, but we will look for a smaller more service oriented place next time.

Room Tip: If you are going for business it is a great place, otherwise stay at a smaller, more personal place,
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rcanaga
We at The Chattanoogan take this type of complaint very seriously. The Director of Facilities, Executive housekeeper and Hotel Manager all personally inspected your room after your first night and found no trace of bed bugs. Our hotel has a regular pest control program in place and we have never had an issue with bed bugs in the past.
I remember personally speaking to you during your stay and I am sorry we did not have the chance to turn your visit here into a better experience.
It is my hope that you see fit to give us a second chance to win your valuable business back.
Sincerely, Laura Batchelor
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Chattanoogan for an overnight, so didn't have a chance to use all the amenities. The service was great - the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The decor was elegant. They have an indoor pool, but it's pretty small, but has a great location on the roof! The kids loved it. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were pretty roomy! Will stay there again next time we're in Chattanooga!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank leiedtrout
Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stay .I have shared your comments along to our staff!
We look forward to your return to The Chattanoogan.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My stay was only for one night and after reading the mixed reviews, I didn't know what to expect, but after checking out, I can honestly say that I haven't a single complaint, other than perhaps the nominal charge for self parking, which I'll get to later.

The hotel is easy to locate and isn't far from the interstate. As others pointed out, finding drive-up entrance is a little tricky, but just turn onto 13th street and then turn into the courtyard parking area, which is behind the hotel, when considering its actual street address.

The room was terrific and comfortable. It looked just as it did on the best pictures on the hotel's own website. The flat screen television was quite large, the Internet connection was fast and free, the room had a comfortable yet hip vibe, the bathroom was quite roomy, the towels were big and plush, the beds were great and the pillows (a kind of memory foam) were the best I've ever slept on -- to the point that I'll probably contact the hotel to find out what brand they are.

The bell hops and valet parking attendants at the door were very friendly and the front desk staff was professional and accommodating. They asked if I needed any help selecting a restaurant and when I described the kind of local place I was looking for, they pointed us toward Urban Stack, a hip burger and bourbon joint, that is but a block away and a five minute walk. While the area currently is pretty dead in the evening, new construction and signs of revitalization with new sidewalks and streetlamps, suggest that the area is on the upswing and may be a happening on in the near future.

I didn't use the hotel's restaurant or the pool (which others decried was small), though i did see some families coming back from using it and the kids seemed plenty happy. What I did visit was the hotel bar, which had a live band on weekend nights, something not often seen any longer in hotel lounges. Not only was this a plus, but the band, featuring mostly women, had some talent and was far better than the usual soulless cover band. The bar's decor was unique managing to successfully pull off a concrete floor and minimalist design. While the seating wasn't terribly comfortable, the bar did have a great vibe and while my server wasn't anything special, another male server showed a lot of spunk, often joining his patrons to dance ad he moved to and from tables.

As for the self-parking fee, it's $8.day, which isn't expensive, but doesn't seem worth it given that this hotel isn't in a bustling downtown (and isn't even within what I would consider to be the real downtown area of Chattanooga). At least the Internet was complimentary, which is a big plus for a hotel like this.

Room Tip: Hallways are long, so if there's a problem walking, request one closer to the elevator.
3 Thank Bill L
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We’re touched that your experience at the Chattanoogan inspired such a beautifully articulated write up. We're so glad you found your accommodations comfortable and enjoyed our plush beds and pillows. Feel free to contact me directly at 423-424-3730 if you would like to find out the brand of the pillows that you enjoyed so much.
We are glad you discovered The Foundry as it is a favorite place to relax with our live music every weekend. We do hope your next stay is longer so that you can enjoy our other amenities as well.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, we do hope you come visit us again soon.

Tupelo,MS
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

We won't stay here again. The rooms were filthy. The chairs had stains. There were little hairs all over the bathroom counter. The mattresses had some springs poking up. There was dust in our room and dust on the lobby tables.
The pool was tiny and only 3 ft and 4 ft deep. It was an indoor pool and hot and steamy feeling. Definitely not a refreshing dip. The food was even worse. The eggs were watery and the pancakes were like rubber. Room service was bad also. We had the Foundry potato chips and they tasted like old grease. The pizza was worse than frozen. One morning we had cereal, juice, and coffee for two people- 35 bucks! The location is not close to the downtown attractions. We did walk but it was a good trek . Usually I can find something positive to say, but not this time!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Bigfamily44
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I am very sorry that your stay at The Chattanooga was so disappointing, reading through your review I can understand. We certainly missed delivering on a number of key elements, but thank you for voicing your concerns for we are always striving to improve. I assure you the review was shared with our Director of Food and Beverage as well as our housekeeping managers.

While you may not stay with us again, we hope you will return so that we can display the high standard of hospitality that we pride ourselves in.

Fairmount, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The rooms were dirty,the buffet was cold,the room service was slow and cold,the bar manager was rude.The massage was great or as great as it gets in 25 min.Very high priced. The manicure and pedicure was only a few (2) nails trimmed and painted,No soak or wash. Not worth the money....DIRTY...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else pictures here are very misleading
1 Thank Jennifer C
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We work to provide a relaxing, carefree atmosphere for our guests and it is clear after reading your review that your experience with us was not of the caliber we strive for. I would like to talk to you personally about your experience if possible please contact me at 423-424-3730 or lbatchelor@benchmarkmanagement.com
It would be our sincerest pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back so that we may change your impression of our hotel

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We booked a mountain view room. It was a fantastic, massive room with a lovely view of Lookout Mountain in the distance. The hotel facilities were excellent and the food in the restaurant was really good. For the price paid for the rooms it was very good value for money

4 Thank Ian S
, Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us here at the Chattanoogan and for sharing your experience with the readers of tripadvisor.
We look forward to having your return in the near future.