“Horrible customer service”

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 29, 2011

My husband and I attempted to check Into this hotel. We were appauled that after waiting fir approximately 30 mins - to check in- we were told that they didnt take MasterCard ... My husband told the employee we would check in at another hotel . The employee didn't apologize for our inconvenience ! To me this was very poor customer service and rude! I will not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank jennhope
Management response:Responded October 31, 2011

Let me begin with an apology for indeed your experience at The Chattanoogan was frustrating as the service you experienced was not acceptable and has been addressed accordingly. Our hotel does accept MasterCard and the employee made a mistake in telling you we do not accept it.
I do hope that you will consider giving us another chance should your travels bring you back Chattanooga. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be more than happy to handle your arrangements personally.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Enjoyed our stay at The Chattanoogan Hotel. We found the room to be clean and comfortable.
The valet and the staff were very professional. The food at breakfast was great with made to order omelets and buffet. At dinner we found the food to be equally good but one thing that was not lost on us is that it took a really long time to receive our food after our order was placed. I must say that since we were not going anywhere and wasn't in a hurry it made liitle difference (except for the amount of drinks we consumed).

Over all we would recommened and return to the Chattanoogan again.

Room Tip: Court yard side has better view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RandN084
Management response:Responded October 28, 2011

It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your stay. Our breakfast buffet is a favorite with our guests and we are glad you enjoyed it.
We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was at a medical convention next to the Marriott and could not get the Marriott for all the days I needed. Sooo.. I looked on the map and opted to walk there from the Chattanoogan where I stayed. First the room. I am well travelled, and the shower was not sunken in and there was no tub so the bathroom tended to flood when I showered, sort of like a Euopean shower. On that note there were TWO shower heads and two faucets. Confusing to figure out. The Sony clock was also a bit user unfriendly and the unwary may not set the alarm right! The HVAC system is a typical bimodal affair meaning you can get either air conditioning or heating at a given temperature. I prefer a traditional thermostat.

Cable TV is OK but they have the generic Hotel Weather Channel that won't give the local forecast making it pointless IMHO. The restaurant..

The breakfast buffet is overpriced the pancakes were rubbery. The service? On a Sunday I waited through my whole breakfast while the hysterical waitress could not obtain my coffee till the end. Not good. Another time she held the pen like a Damocles sword over my head instead of leaving me to sign the bill. I did room service breakfast once and it's not a bad option.

The dinner is an artisinal "local grown veggies" affair. Fancy-but overpriced for what you get. There is a sports bar next door with ridiculously microscopic big screen TVs.

I did not work out in the health club. The indoor pool was as warm as I could want it but it was

a. too shallow and
b. the only way in and out were the rickety ladders with steps that dont go down far enough. They should have concrete steps. I could get hurt jumping-let alone diving-into two feet deep water. The gift shop which was IN the health club area-Weird-is closed Mondays and has mostly high end grooming products. Dont expect mouthwash or OTC meds there. in fact don't expect THAT within Chattanooga city limits! The nearest CVS was about two miles south of where I stayed and another one over the River Downtown.

Verdict..will stay at the Marriott next time or even the downtown hotels. The electric shuttle is efficient and free

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank drpoundsign
Management response:Responded October 24, 2011

Thank you for the constructive thoughts you have shared on your review. Everyone in our hospitality industry desires to provide their guests with a quality product and outstanding service, and I am sorry you were less than happy with your stay.

Without your feedback, we cannot continue to make improvements.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

If you are looking for a 4 star hotel don't choose this one. I have stayed in much better Holiday Inns! The room was clean but that was all it had going for it. No frig or microwave. Please....even cheap hotels give you that! We were in a room with a king-sized bed and they give you a 1 cup coffee maker! Cheapskates! There was nothing special about the room at all. Cheap furnishings, no table with chairs, nothing but bare necessities were provided. The shower head in the bathroom was old, old, old, & terrible. Either a fine mist or it blasted you like a fire hose. Parking facilities are in a parking deck next door, so there is no choice but to pay for valet service. In my opinion if they don't provide you with parking, then valet service should be free. It's location is terrible also. It's not near any restaurants...and you don't want to eat in theirs believe me...but that's another story. I would NOT stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhinehart479
Management response:Responded October 24, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction during your stay at The Chattanoogan. We strive to accommodate our all of our guests and their needs, and want you to know we will be sharing your comments with our management staff. We know this does not change your experience but we hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

The General Manager, Tom Cupo, and his staff do an excellent job of providing first-class service. The food quality is amongst the best.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank atjr1
Management response:Responded October 21, 2011

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and took the time to share it on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves on our service, and I will make sure your wonderful comments are shared with all of our staff.

Please come back and stay with us soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

This stay was my third stay in five months ath The Chattanoogan. As with my other stays here, the customer service has been top-notch. The valet staff and front desk staff are, in particular, the shining stars. I really am wowed by the ambiance of the arrival area and the lobby - it's really nice when the fireplace is burning, too. The Broad Street Bar and Grill is a great spot - loved the breakfast buffet and the accommodating nature of the waitstaff. The location is great, too, for walking to get a local brew or bite to eat. I recommend Urban Stack and The Terminal Brewhouse. Okay, now as for the rooms - they are a bit on the disappointing side for a hotel of this caliber and price. As I've stated in my previous reviews of the property, a simple investment in new shower heads in the showers would really amp-up the quality of the room, rather than the Motel 6-style "power washer jet". I think people who stay at this caliber of hotel expect a better showering experience. Also, this is the second time (different room) that my bathroom sink has been dripping continuously from the pipes onto the floor (slippery and noisy). I notified the front desk staff, so hopefully they address that. Other than the bathroom, the bed was clean, crisp and comfy, but the nightstand and lamps lacked power outlets, so I had to unplug the clock radio to charge my phone at night. I'll likely stay here again for business and would be happy to do so, I just hope to see a change in the bathrooms to match up with the other great areas of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the entrance area to the hotel for good PM sun and better views
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank volksaudinut
Management response:Responded October 21, 2011

We appreciate your compliments about our staff and facilities, however we are sorry to see that you were not happy with the showerhead and had issues with a dripping sink.
We have shared your review with our management staff and appreciate your feedback so that we can continue to improve our services. I am glad to know that despite some mishaps you still very much enjoyed your stay.
We appreciate your continued patronage in choosing The Chattanoogan Hotel

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed 2 nights and used the fitness room, the valet, room service, and the Foundry lounge and it was very nice. We had an anniversary party in one of the banquet rooms an they did a great job with the catering.
One of the more unique features was the outdoor fire pit. It was a hit for many parties; not just ours. The staff was very friendly and hospitable. It was a short trolley ride to downtown. Very nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Sbroecker
Management response:Responded October 17, 2011

Thank you for being our guest and I am happy to read that your family had a wonderful visit during the anniversary celebration weekend. We hope the anniversary couple was surprised with everything your family had planned. I will be sharing your comments with our staff; they will be happy to read that you were pleased.
Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Chattanoogan, and we look forward to your return