“Great hotel and staff”

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Our king room was clean, comfortable, and cool(especially needed in the south in July).
The staff were friendly and helpful. The parking valets were a great group of young men.
The restaurant wasexcellent, breakfast buffet was full of choices and very good. They were also very accomodating for special needs.
Had a great time, we'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FBC30620
Management response:Responded July 20, 2011

Thank you for being our guest and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Our valet staff is the best in town and they enjoy making all of our guests feel welcome. We look forward to your return visit.

Tom Cupo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed July 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed the weekend while visiting family. We arrived late and were still greeting by the bellman. We must have been the last reservation left that night becuse after asking if we had a reservation, the person behind knew my last name before I gave it. After checking in we enjoyed a cocktail and music in the lobby bar. In the morning we had breakfast on the outdoor patio( at night they have a small fire pit). We enjoyed our stay and we were able to walk to many of the attractions. very nice lobby and rooms. we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Maddoxx1234
Management response:Responded July 20, 2011

What a great account of the time you spent with us. I am glad you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel and the city. Our live music in The Foundry on the weekends features local talent, to learn more about what band is playing you can “like” us on Facebook for updates!
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Chattanoogan.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon. We are smokers but NEVER not even once smoked in the room. We stepped outside twice the entire time we stayed at this hotel to smoke. Yet when I double checked our checking account we discovered we were missing $168. I called the hotel and they insisted that we smoked in the room and that was the reason they charged the the large extra amount of money. Had I known they were going to charge us anyway we would have smoked in the room rather than going 3 stories down to smoke outside in the middle of the night. The hotel was nice but it wasnt worth the $360 we ended up spending for one night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dreamd4rkdr3ams
Management response:Responded July 15, 2011

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. After our recent guest room renovation the Chattanoogan Hotel converted to 100% non-smoking. This was in response to requests from many of our guests. In our efforts to please everyone the property has several areas that can accommodate smokers including our newly constructed courtyard and fire pit.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Chattanoogan was very average. I expected a lot more from a 4 star hotel. There were no extras that usually come with a nicer hotel such as turn down service, robes, coffee in the lobby, manager receptions, etc... The room was clean, but small. The parking garage elevator smells awful and is filthy.
Just your average room at an above average price.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank leavinATL
Management response:Responded July 15, 2011

Please know that we take all of our guest comments to heart and learn from both the complimentary and the constructive. I do hope that you will consider giving us another chance should your travels bring you back to Chattanooga.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed there over the weekend as part of a big wedding party with a high dollar reception at the hotel. First off- they charge for their parking garage($10) without even telling you that it's free to park(during the weekend) on the street that runs beside the hotel.
We left on Sunday morning and my wife dropped her evening dress in/around the lobby as we were leaving. We had a 7hr drive and realized it after being on the road for about an hour, so we called the hotel. They advised they would look for it and call back. 3hrs go by, no call. I call back again, someone on duty notified me they found it and can fedex it but would have someone call me back. no call... call back on Monday to them...They tell me that security has it but they are closed and will call me back...no call... call back on weds...security is out until 3pm...left them a message....no call back...call back again to speak to manager on Friday- she is not sure that they have it now and assures me that security would call back later that day... no call... call and leave another message at security on Sunday...no call... Here we are over 8 days later, and not once have they called me back!!! UNSAT...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 2xaroundtheglobe
Management response:Responded July 13, 2011

Please accept my apologies for the lack of communication regarding your evening dress that was dropped on the property. At the hotel we take every measure to make sure any lost and found items that are recovered are returned to the rightful owner, and I am sorry that your dress did not surface.
We value feedback from our guests both constructive and complimentary and I thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

We enjoyed a comfortable 2 night stay at the Chattanoogan. I'm not sure that I'd classify the hotel as an urban resort, but it is upscale and one of the nicer hotels in the center of Chattanooga.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were well appointed and clean. Maid service was very good. Though there was self-parking nearby, we took advantage of the valet service.

One nit that we have was that our room had no luggage stand. We called the front desk and asked if housekeeping could us bring one. We were told that none were available, that a school group had stayed there recently and that they had broken many of the stands which were out for repair.

Each morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food and selection were a cut above similar hotels and included made to order omelets.

I would stay here again if my travels brought me to Chattanooga.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rocky7149
Management response:Responded July 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay at The Chattanoogan. I will be sharing your comments with our staff; they will be happy to read that you were pleased. We would be delighted to serve you again so please do make plans to return.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

When my husband told me where we would be staying in Chattanooga, I eagerly got online to check out the Chattanoogan. Never having stayed there before, I was curious to learn about the hotel. I learned that it was a four diamond "resort" located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga and that I could expect high quality in amenities and service. I was excited with what I found online! On arrival at the hotel, however, I quickly became deflated. Even the exterior of the hotel is not, in my opinion, above average. The lobby was OK. The room was quite a disappointment. It seemed dingy, outdated and the cleanliness level was acceptable but not over the top. The toiletries were very nice, however! We really did not experience much in the way of service that disappointed us EXCEPT, we had a problem with the commode not flushing properly. We were preparing to go out for the afternoon and evening so called the front desk to report the problem before departing. When we arrived back in the room some 11 hours later, the commode was in the same condition as it had been when we called the problem in to the front desk. It was disgusting and a huge disappointment! We called the front desk again and they promptly dispatched a maintenance man with a plunger. He quickly took care of the issue and even obtained cleaning supplies to mop the floor afterwards. He was very polite and effiicient and we greatly appreciated his assistance, but we were shocked that the service had not been more prompt! As far as the location of the hotel, it is NOT in the "middle of it all". The waterfront area with the aquarium, baseball stadium and multitude of restaurants was so far away that driving was a necessity and parking downtown was a problem. If you want to be close to the local dining, waterfront and attractions, seek lodging closer to the river.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bonk56
Management response:Responded July 13, 2011

We take this feedback very serious, so thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of timeliness on the repair of your commode. I am pleased to hear that the engineer took care of it in a polite and efficient manner.
On your next visit I encourage you to try the Electric shuttle which is free and runs every 7 minutes, it’s a great way to get around downtown and not have to worry about parking.