“Out-of-the-Box La Quinta”

Ranked #55 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Marina, California
“Out-of-the-Box La Quinta”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Stayed here for two nights on a weekend getaway to Chattanooga.
This is an older property that was very obviously some other hotel brand until it was purchased by La Quinta and then renovated. I can't recall ever staying in a La Quinta that did not look anything like any other La Quinta. For one, it's all interior corridors. Also, there are, as I recall, 6 floors in the building.
When I arrived, the first thing I noticed was that one elevator was out. This is somewhat problematic at a hotel with as many floors as this, and I found myself on the stairs much of the time, if only out of convenience, simply because it took so long - particularly at peak times - for the elevator to come.
The staff was very nice. It seemed to be run by a couple, but that may be a false impression on my part. Check-in was quick just after the clerk gave directions to a couple in the line in front of me.
The location is a little strange. The southside of Chattanooga was not a desirable part of town in recent years, but has recently become much more gentrified. This gentrification has pushed south a bit but, still, it's not a particularly good area. In driving around, I realized that I wouldn't want to be alone on the streets, particularly after dark. But the location is right off the freeway and very close to Downtown and other attractions. It's basically halfway between Downtown and St. Elmo, which was perfect for what I wanted to do while in town.
The lobby and hallways are recently renovated. The room hallways were especially nice, with new carpet and decor. The rooms were also renovated, with flat panel televisions, new carpet and beds and new furniture.
I've said it before in other reviews - and it absolutely applies here - that, regardless of renovation, a hotel always shows its age in the bathroom, just because it's so expensive to fully renovate them. The shower faucet was just camp-tacular, and I can only imagine that, when it's eventually pulled out of the wall, some hipster will pick it up and put it into their own bathroom. Also, the weirdest thing was that the toilet was set on the floor at an angle to everything else. It wasn't that it had moved, it was actually bolted that way.
The breakfast was great. Really one of the better free breakfasts I've had at a hotel. They had eggs, waffles, toast, etc. But the biscuits and gravy they had was great. Also very good coffee. There wasn't really enough seating for all of the attendees though, and it complicated things by the seating area being so close to the front desk.
Another annoyance was that, because my room was at the end of the hall, it was more convenient to park at the end of the hotel and use the side, external staircase to access the room. However, for whatever reason, my floor's door was locked to the stairwell. No, not key access, just outright locked. It would be nice if they would install a key access door, particularly if the elevator is going to be down.
For what I paid though, it was a very good value, and I would come here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2010

IT was a OK hotel.. we stopped there after a long drive for a well deserved rest.. spacious room,good beds,not too clean but ok !!! great breakfast. Good loaction. Stuff was a little lost... Just a bit overpriced but cant complain sleeped like a baby :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Chose hotel due to price ($55) and location near interstate. Hard to find entrance in the dark (its located behind another hotel that uses same entrance) First, my assigned room was already occupied, but this does happen on occasion. Then, walls were so thin, you could hear everything that happened in adjoining rooms and outside. Howling dog left alone in car kept waking me. Owner ventured outside several times to tell it to shut up. Like that ever works! Bathrooms dated and water pressure left much to be desired. Next time I'll spend the $100 and stay at a better hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Nice people at desk. Gave us a good rate. Wish they had a UTC parent rate that was a little lower... Still enjoyed our stay. Don't expect the Ritz. It's a good "next to the interstate" motel. Our room was clean, bed was extraordinary. Was very quiet. Breakfast was very good. Even with a full house, the nice breakfast hostess kept everything well stocked and fresh.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
franklin
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My uncle was in a nearby hospital and it was late at night when we tried to find a motel. Most of the nearby motels were booked. When I called this one, they had a room for us. The staff spoke local English and gave me simple directions to get there from the hospital. So thankful he could help us. Bed was comfortable and just what we needed.

• Stayed October 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The hotel has improved. I told the sales person what my intentions were and that there would be mujsic. She even set up a music table. The chairs were not the cleanest and I asked the manager on duty how often they clean them and he said he didn't know. I told him that most of them are filthy and I wiped food off some of them. No response. To make a long story short. Our party ended at 9:30 because we were too loud in the "Chitt Chatt Room" In fact, the manager walked in and said cut that music off now. Very Rude. I'm sure corporate doesn't run their operation like that and it was just him. It was highly unacceptable and I will be writing a letter. I explained to him that they should not offer a hospitality suite near other guests if noise will be a problem.

Stayed August 2010
mount vernon tx
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We were checked in by the manager. She was very friendly and made us feel comfortable during our two day stay. Rooms were clean with plenty of towels that were replaced with clean ones when we left for the day. A free, hot breakfast with served downstairs. Several choices available, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, do it yourself waffles, donuts, muffins and more. Our room was above the pool. No partying going on while we were there. We were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple