“Never again”

Ranked #56 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
United States
“Never again”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

There were five of us for two nights (four adults and one teenager). For some reason we were placed in a handicap room on the first floor. The room was cramped with two queen beds, a small dresser and a desk. The bathroom was atrocious and dangerous for any able-bodied person to use. I would be greatly concerned if any disabled relative of mine stayed there for safety reasons. The lighting was very dim, there was no counter space, just an industrial sink attached to the wall, a small mirror above it. The large shower would hold standing water and the only way it wouldn't flood the bathroom is if the shower head was pointed directly against the wall so then you were plastered against the wall trying to rinse. The tiles were extremely slick with any sort of moisture.

The beds were lumpy, the pillows were flat. The walls were paper thin. We heard a kid knocking on the headboard on the opposite side. One night we could hear the thump-thump-thump of a kid running back and forth. There were screeching kids at all hours of the night. The A/C unit was right against one of the beds and would blow air on the person sleeping closest to it.

The breakfast had potential - if there was any. When we arrived, there were no eggs, sausage or waffle mix. There were four hard biscuits. The male employee manning the area was rude and disrespectful to any customer that questioned about missing food. The area itself is cramped and dirty.

The area it was located it isn't the best but we drove downtown so it wasn't a big deal. But there were some suspect people hanging around. Could be unsettling for travelers who have to park far away and walk to the one dark entrance.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2011

beside busy road . Basic but comfortable and clean.Good value for a one night stop over.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed at the La Quinta in Chattanooga for a single night while travelling through the area. I had selected the hotel based on price and previous reviews here on TripAdvisor. Although seemingly located directly next to the interstate I was happy to have my GPS with me to find the hotel, there are several small one-way streets, if you miss the entrance to the hotel parking lot you'll have to drive a circle on the other side of the interstate. Arriving at the hotel on a Saturday night and in bad weather I was a little shocked to see the surrounding areas. Run-down shops, warehouses, not the place where I'd like to go for a walk - and nobody in the streets either, everything quiet, few cars. For a moment I was sceptical whether this was indeed a neighborhood to park a car in and spend the night. The hotel property itself isn't pretty either, few trees, just a large parking lot and a four-story building that looks like an old hospital. Seeing decent cars in the parking lot, I decided to go in anyway and I will admit that the first impression was wrong. On the inside I was greeted by very friendly staff (I'd take the lady to be the owner, but I don't know) and my checkin was already prepared. My room was all the way at the end of the building and had a kingsize bed. It was somewhat small for a bed that size, not much space to stow away luggage or walk around. Technology-wise it was in definite need of an upgrade, I turned my TV a little just to have the signal cable fall of (it was already torn out of the plug and just lay there) - well, nothing that couldn't be fixed...I had a room at the end of the corridor and wireless internet reception was poor, had to go into the bathroom to get a constant signal. The number of available power outlets was low, too low for me. Cleanliness was OK, nothing to complain. In the evening I drove around town a little to find the entire neighborhood mostly industrial and somewhat run down, there are definitely better neighborhoods around town, although it was mostly empty, nothing actually bad (a previous review called this a high-crime area, which I can neither confirm nor deny, it seems possible). Make note that you'll need a car with you, otherwise finding food won't be easy...
Looking back at the stay I therefore come to a mixed conclusion. The LQ is fine for a night, the inside needs technical upgrades but is otherwise quite OK. I didn't feel to good about the surroundings. Recommendation? Depends on the purpose of your stay...Advantages? Yeah, the price was good, overall a good value. On a final positive note, I was waiting for the rain to stop after check out, looking through some flyers I had collected in the lobby, an employee stopped for a quick chat and recommended some of the area's attractions.
However, compared to other LQ's, I can't give more than an overall 3 or 3.5 rating, just wouldn't be fair!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank aRTie81
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We reserved this room prior to leaving Sarasota, FL.

Upon reading deeper into the reviews, I got a little scared that I had made a mistake. Whether this hotel has undergone a COMPLETE makeover since the negative reviews were posted OR if the negative people mistook this hotel for another OR they had ulterior motives, I will never know.

Room was spotless, bed was amazing, room had fridge and microwave, room was QUIET, breakfast was crowded but FREE and darned good. If people aren't happy with that @ this price, then I feel very sorry for them. I am SOOO glad that I did not waste more $$$ for a different hotel because of the inaccurate (I'm being kind here, folks) negative reviews.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Marina, California
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Stayed here for two nights on a weekend getaway to Chattanooga.
This is an older property that was very obviously some other hotel brand until it was purchased by La Quinta and then renovated. I can't recall ever staying in a La Quinta that did not look anything like any other La Quinta. For one, it's all interior corridors. Also, there are, as I recall, 6 floors in the building.
When I arrived, the first thing I noticed was that one elevator was out. This is somewhat problematic at a hotel with as many floors as this, and I found myself on the stairs much of the time, if only out of convenience, simply because it took so long - particularly at peak times - for the elevator to come.
The staff was very nice. It seemed to be run by a couple, but that may be a false impression on my part. Check-in was quick just after the clerk gave directions to a couple in the line in front of me.
The location is a little strange. The southside of Chattanooga was not a desirable part of town in recent years, but has recently become much more gentrified. This gentrification has pushed south a bit but, still, it's not a particularly good area. In driving around, I realized that I wouldn't want to be alone on the streets, particularly after dark. But the location is right off the freeway and very close to Downtown and other attractions. It's basically halfway between Downtown and St. Elmo, which was perfect for what I wanted to do while in town.
The lobby and hallways are recently renovated. The room hallways were especially nice, with new carpet and decor. The rooms were also renovated, with flat panel televisions, new carpet and beds and new furniture.
I've said it before in other reviews - and it absolutely applies here - that, regardless of renovation, a hotel always shows its age in the bathroom, just because it's so expensive to fully renovate them. The shower faucet was just camp-tacular, and I can only imagine that, when it's eventually pulled out of the wall, some hipster will pick it up and put it into their own bathroom. Also, the weirdest thing was that the toilet was set on the floor at an angle to everything else. It wasn't that it had moved, it was actually bolted that way.
The breakfast was great. Really one of the better free breakfasts I've had at a hotel. They had eggs, waffles, toast, etc. But the biscuits and gravy they had was great. Also very good coffee. There wasn't really enough seating for all of the attendees though, and it complicated things by the seating area being so close to the front desk.
Another annoyance was that, because my room was at the end of the hall, it was more convenient to park at the end of the hotel and use the side, external staircase to access the room. However, for whatever reason, my floor's door was locked to the stairwell. No, not key access, just outright locked. It would be nice if they would install a key access door, particularly if the elevator is going to be down.
For what I paid though, it was a very good value, and I would come here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2010

IT was a OK hotel.. we stopped there after a long drive for a well deserved rest.. spacious room,good beds,not too clean but ok !!! great breakfast. Good loaction. Stuff was a little lost... Just a bit overpriced but cant complain sleeped like a baby :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Chose hotel due to price ($55) and location near interstate. Hard to find entrance in the dark (its located behind another hotel that uses same entrance) First, my assigned room was already occupied, but this does happen on occasion. Then, walls were so thin, you could hear everything that happened in adjoining rooms and outside. Howling dog left alone in car kept waking me. Owner ventured outside several times to tell it to shut up. Like that ever works! Bathrooms dated and water pressure left much to be desired. Next time I'll spend the $100 and stay at a better hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple