“Best hostel I've stayed in”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I have both backpacked throughout the world, and we agreed this was one of the best hostels we've stayed at. Keep in mind this is a hostel - not a five-star hotel - but it's the little things that make it such a cool spot; Warmth from repurposed wood, cleanliness without being clinical, friendly little kitchen, local bread and eggs for breakfast, an open, welcoming feel. Very conducive to having a local brew and meeting other travellers.

We went with a private room - huge, super comfy bed, private washbasin, lots of space and natural light. The bathrooms were particularly impressive. Again - it's a hostel, but the showers were large with secondary curtains for privacy, and super clean.

Parking was short on the street but there's a nifty hostel-only space behind the Crash Pad. The neighbourhood is a downtown area that is clearly in the midst of being revitalized. Some great little bars and such near-by. In particular, the Flying Squirrel right next door has phenomenal cocktails (for $5 on a Wednesday night - SCORE!)

Kudos and high fives to Jordan, who was manning the front desk during our stay. Super friendly, genuinely helpful guy. Would highly recommend this spot.

Room Tip: We had a private room (F) down the end of the upstairs hallway. Didn't hear a noise all night. S...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ribbongirl

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My fiance and I have stayed at the Crash Pad two times, and just booked our stay for the beginning of April. I am originally from Chattanooga, and this is the only place I will stay while I am there! Not only is it great for the environment, but the Pad is cleaner, better, and has a nicer staff than most, if not all, of the places to stay in Chattanooga.

We've never ate the breakfast because we are usually very busy while we are there, but it always looks like everyone is enjoying it. The beds are comfortable and clean. The noise has never been a bother. The bathrooms are always clean. Our two favorites things are the staff and the pavilion/The Flying Squirrel. The staff is always super personable and friendly! Our favorite thing is being able to catch up with our friends from Chattanooga over a couple good craft brews (which are conveniently available in the lobby if you don't wanna head to the squirrel - how cool is that?!) in the pavilion or at the Squirrel (which is equally as wonderful).

There's no other place to stay in Chattanooga for this value or this good of an experience. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We always get the private room, but the bunks look super comfortable, clean, and have a great place...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Crash Pad. Highly recommended if you enjoy friendly, clever, interesting staff and residents; interesting design and art incorporated into the hotel, insights into the sport of rock climbing, great design of dorm beds, great prices, super breakfast, very high standards of cleanliness. It is within walking distance of Chattanooga's many tourist and natural attractions, or the free electric shuttle covers the same territory.

Room Tip: I was on a budget trip so chose a dorm bed, which are self contained with privacy curtain, storage l...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Visited Chattanooga with a few friends and we decided to stay at the crash pad after reading the reviews on here. We weren't disappointed! It was my first time staying at a hostel (and my friends told me not to expect the same kind of "luxury" when staying at other hostels). Staff was extremely pleasant and answered our many questions about the town. Lobby, beds, and shower facilities were clean and Eco friendly. We explored the town and surrounding area during the day and even stopped by the brewery next door during the evening. Brewery was pretty cool but don't expect a 20% discount like had been mentioned when we checked in. Overall a great place to stay

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank SundanceKid01
John Y, General Manager at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hey there!

Thanks so much for your kind words about our place! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back and stay with us again. A quick clarification, we offer our guests 20% off food at the Flying Squirrel bar that is right next door on the property. The brewery that you may be referencing (The Terminal Brewhouse) we do not have a discount agreement with. Apologies if our staff told you otherwise. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about our place. Thanks again and see you soon!

Warm regards,
John Ying
GM @ The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I found the crash pad while looking for "uncommon" places to stay right here on trip advisor. My 4 year old daughter and I spent 2 nights in a clean, comfy, eco- friendly room and were greeted and engaged by THE MOST AWESOME staff I've ever dealt with in a hotel. The adorable young lady at the front desk was amazing with my daughter! I cannot say enough good stuff about this place. We are heading back to the area soon and we will definately head back to our home away from home at the crash pad!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Athensmama S
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A great hostel located in a convenient part of town. Lots of people go there for rock climbing and outdoorsing, but I just went for general sightseeing around Chattanooga and it was still super. Located just a few minutes from a free electric shuttle, you can easily get downtown. The breakfast in the morning was great, since free breakfast is always great, and the hostel facilities are awesome-- even in the dorms. Very safe place, and super cute.

It IS a bit hard to find, though, so maybe the hostel staff could put out a sign on W Main St., directing you to the hostel?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank bgawne27
Reviewed December 20, 2013

It may be that I am not a big fan of hostels, but this was a somewhat disappointing visit. The structure is very striking and the hostel is clean, but there was a lot of noise from the bar or restaurant next door late into the night and early morning, and for me it was a marginally comfortable experience. Staff was very friendly however.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank P G
John Y, General Manager at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Hey there P G,

First off, thanks so much for staying with us.

Second, I'm very sorry that your experience here at The Crash Pad wasn't the best it could be. Did you voice your concern to any of our hostel staff? If so, then I'm doubly sorry that our staff didn't remedy your concern to your satisfaction.

If you'd like to give us another shot, we'd love for you to stay in one of our private rooms, on us. Just send me a private message and we'll work it out from there. If not, then no worries and we greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and hope to see you soon,
John Ying