“truly unique”

and 1 more site!
The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Crash Pad. Highly recommended if you enjoy friendly, clever, interesting staff and residents; interesting design and art incorporated into the hotel, insights into the sport of rock climbing, great design of dorm beds, great prices, super breakfast, very high standards of cleanliness. It is within walking distance of Chattanooga's many tourist and natural attractions, or the free electric shuttle covers the same territory.

Room Tip: I was on a budget trip so chose a dorm bed, which are self contained with privacy curtain, storage l...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Visited Chattanooga with a few friends and we decided to stay at the crash pad after reading the reviews on here. We weren't disappointed! It was my first time staying at a hostel (and my friends told me not to expect the same kind of "luxury" when staying at other hostels). Staff was extremely pleasant and answered our many questions about the town. Lobby, beds, and shower facilities were clean and Eco friendly. We explored the town and surrounding area during the day and even stopped by the brewery next door during the evening. Brewery was pretty cool but don't expect a 20% discount like had been mentioned when we checked in. Overall a great place to stay

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank SundanceKid01
John Y, General Manager at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hey there!

Thanks so much for your kind words about our place! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back and stay with us again. A quick clarification, we offer our guests 20% off food at the Flying Squirrel bar that is right next door on the property. The brewery that you may be referencing (The Terminal Brewhouse) we do not have a discount agreement with. Apologies if our staff told you otherwise. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about our place. Thanks again and see you soon!

Warm regards,
John Ying
GM @ The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I found the crash pad while looking for "uncommon" places to stay right here on trip advisor. My 4 year old daughter and I spent 2 nights in a clean, comfy, eco- friendly room and were greeted and engaged by THE MOST AWESOME staff I've ever dealt with in a hotel. The adorable young lady at the front desk was amazing with my daughter! I cannot say enough good stuff about this place. We are heading back to the area soon and we will definately head back to our home away from home at the crash pad!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Athensmama S
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A great hostel located in a convenient part of town. Lots of people go there for rock climbing and outdoorsing, but I just went for general sightseeing around Chattanooga and it was still super. Located just a few minutes from a free electric shuttle, you can easily get downtown. The breakfast in the morning was great, since free breakfast is always great, and the hostel facilities are awesome-- even in the dorms. Very safe place, and super cute.

It IS a bit hard to find, though, so maybe the hostel staff could put out a sign on W Main St., directing you to the hostel?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank bgawne27
Reviewed December 20, 2013

It may be that I am not a big fan of hostels, but this was a somewhat disappointing visit. The structure is very striking and the hostel is clean, but there was a lot of noise from the bar or restaurant next door late into the night and early morning, and for me it was a marginally comfortable experience. Staff was very friendly however.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank P G
John Y, General Manager at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Hey there P G,

First off, thanks so much for staying with us.

Second, I'm very sorry that your experience here at The Crash Pad wasn't the best it could be. Did you voice your concern to any of our hostel staff? If so, then I'm doubly sorry that our staff didn't remedy your concern to your satisfaction.

If you'd like to give us another shot, we'd love for you to stay in one of our private rooms, on us. Just send me a private message and we'll work it out from there. If not, then no worries and we greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and hope to see you soon,
John Ying

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Our second stay here and just as good as the first. Staff are friendly and accommodations are neat, clean and comfortable. It is Spartan, but that's all we needed.Security is good and accessing Pad is easy with the keyless entry. My fellow traveler says "best fun ever".

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have a reservation for next weekend here, and I tried to stop by this evening to make sure I could find my way there. After circling the area for half an hour while my GPS insisted "I had arrived at my destnation" I pulled into an area parking lot and called to ask for help...and got a voice mail! I left a message asking for help, circled for a while longer, and then gave up and left. This was before 6pm...if the business hours are 11-8, is it unreasonable to think that a live person would answer the phone? I wanted to come in, see the place before my stay next weekend, but I was so frustrated this evening I was ready to cancel my reservation...except for losing that non-refundable deposit. I *think* I found it, in an area with road construction, but again, I'm not sure, and couldn't reach anyone to verify. I'm waiting to see if I get a phone call tomorrow, and I hope this isn't an omen for next Friday...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Hi Amanda, sincere apologies for your experience last night. Our general manager just left you a voicemail with his personal contact in case you need anything. We do our best to answer the phone every time but it is challenging with a full house checking in to not get pulled away from the desk many times during the shift. I'm sorry again that we missed you, especially when you were just trying to find the place.

The road construction is a major headache that is unfortunately out of our hands - the project is taking months longer than expected and our private parking lot is completely cut off right now. We're working on leasing a portion of the lot right in front of the hostel (we don't own it) so that we can hold spots for our guests. We have also looked into signage out on Main Street, but we are officially not allowed to put any kind of signage on the sidewalks out there. I know this doesn't help your issue from last night, but we're trying to find creative solutions to make the hostel easier to find.

Please let us know if we can do anything for you before your stay. I sincerely hope you have a good stay next weekend and aren't coming just because you feel like you have to. If you decide against it, we will absolutely refund your deposit.

Thanks,