“Great staff and location”

Hilton Garden Inn Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #10 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night after a day at the discovery museum. The hotel is right beside the museum. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance. Nice indoor pool and fitness center. Hotels policy is 100% satisfaction, and I personally saw that in action several times during the stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank BLS12

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our second stay here was very pleasant. The staff were all very helpful and the room was clean. This hotel is in easy walking distance to the downtown attractions and a CARTA* pick up location. Downtown is such a pretty area with lots of great restaurants, movie theaters, the aquarium and a great place to just walk around. When I come back to Chattanooga, I intend to stay here. There is an $8 daily charge for parking.

*CARTA is a free transport that operates in and around the downtown area

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa P
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This is a nice hotel in a great location. We started out in a king jr. suite on the first night. Our daughter usually sleeps on the pull out sofa when we stay at a HGI like this one. They are usually quite comfortable. This one was different though. The sofa mattress was absolutely horrible! I spoke with the front desk this morning. The manager on duty gave us a nice discount on the room and quickly provided other rooming choices for us within the hotel. Their can do attitude was much appreciated! That's one reason why I choose to stay with Hilton when I travel. The made to order breakfast was fresh and really good too. Hotel employees were all very friendly and made a point to say "Hello" and ask how we were doing. A really nice stay!

Room Tip: Make sure the pull out sofa mattress is new and comfortable if you intend on using it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sawneeman
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Wonderful staff, comfy firm beds with down comforters and nice room. From check in to restaurant and check out- terrific staff. Had reserved King with tool away only to find out when we arrived at midnight that it is not permitted - fire hazard. Manager at desk offered comforters, pillows, sheets to make a palate on the floor for our teenage son, which she did. Bid down comforters , in plastic bags and everything very clean. We have stayed at the Doubletree, Courtyard Marriott and this time the HGI for the Head of the Hooch. 1st time at a HGI. Would definitely stay here again. A little pricey but worth it for the downtown location and ease of parking lot. Loved it. Thank you HGI for a wonderful experience. And breakfast cooked to order was very good, healthy options avail and reasonable price, great friendly service.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn Chattanooga Downtown. We were pleasantly welcomed into the hotel. Because we used a debit card (VISA) to book the room and for incidentals, they put a $25 charge on it that "would be lifted in about 2 days." We made our way up to our King room on the 6th floor. For the next several hours, there were children running up and down the hallway screaming. We popped out our head one time, and the parent said, "shhhh," but that didn't stop them. Okay - not the hotel's fault there are screaming children.

The "awesome beds" leave much to be desired. We found the optimal setting too hard. We found the soft setting too soft. We found a somewhat decent setting in between the two and awoke with sore backs.

The bathroom was haphazardly cleaned (still had gunk on the faucet,) and the way the shower curtain was set up, there was a large puddle of water right near the door from the water coming out of the shower.

We bought two bottles of water from the sundries shop ($4.)

We went downstairs to get breakfast, and we wanted to know if we could just pay for it with cash. The guest services person up front answered us, with a mouthful of food he had gotten from the breakfast area (and food all over the front of his shirt.) The breakfast downstairs left much to be desired, but we didn't feel like going anywhere before checking out so we sucked it up. It is a VERY small dining area. Emphasis on VERY. The wait staff could not keep up with the tables, patrons who had finished their breakfast refused to offer seating to people arriving (instead they sat and talked.) There is NO flatware in sight - you have to ask for it (if you can get a hold of someone.) So the waitress got us a fork (she picked up "unused flatware" from a dirty table and attempted to hand that to me to use,) and she cleared our plates. That's it.

We left, and we headed home. Three days later, we noticed the $25 incidentals "hold" plus another $29 charge. When we called to check on that, they informed us that if you get something from the sundries shop, and you used a debit card, they place ANOTHER $25 hold on your debit card...that will be lifted in "about two days." So they ding you with one $25 hold and then another (that wasn't told to us when we got our water in the first place.)

The rooms are okay. We got early bird type pricing at $146 + tax (came to around $160,) and that is a fair price for downtown, but I don't think we'll stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smjack8088
HGISalesManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Greetings. My name is Andrew Brogdon. I am the Assistant General Manager here at the HGI Chattanooga Downtown. I am very upset to hear of your experience with us and wished you would have brought this to my attention during your stay with us so that I could have addressed these issues. On behalf of our entire team I would like to offer our most sincere apologies. The team is dedicated to ensuring that we exceed guest expectations and take it very personally when we fail. As you can see from guest feedback on this site, your experience was an exception to the overall guest experience guests have at our hotel. This is not an excuse by any means and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you so that I can make this right. If you would be so kind as to contact me at the hotel I would greatly appreciate it. You can reach me through the main number at the hotel.. just ask for Andrew.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I chose this hotel based on the convenient downtown location and the majority of good reviews here. Overall our stay was very pleasant and enjoyable.

We were greeted by Leslie when we arrived to check-in. She was very warm and welcoming. We told her of our plans for dinner that evening at Hennen’s and she presented us with a coupon for a complimentary shrimp or calamari appetizer. (Hennen’s was one of the highlights of our trip and just a short walk from the hotel. I highly recommend this restaurant.)

I was a bit dismayed that the front desk did not have any maps of the local area. Fortunately the Visitor’s Center is just a block away. They provided us with plenty of maps, coupons and directions.

We were instructed to park in the parking lot behind the hotel. I suddenly wished that I could remember what other reviewers had said about parking. The parking lot behind the hotel has the most narrow parking spaces ever. You have to unload your passengers before pulling into the space. Then just hold your breath because you know that the vehicles on either side of yours may not be so careful when opening their doors. Once inside the hotel, we spotted the public parking across the street and I think that other reviewers had mentioned it as an option. I did not have a problem with the $8 hotel parking fee as this seems reasonable compared to other downtown area hotels.

Our room was overlooking Chestnut Street with a small balcony with two chairs and a table. We did enjoy sitting on the balcony a few times, but there is quite a bit of noise from the street. Seems to be a popular drag for loud motorcycles which luckily fizzled out by our bedtime.

The two queen beds had nice firm mattresses with soft linens. There was a small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, flat screen tv, and ironing board. The bathroom had Neutrogena products which I liked. I also appreciated the full sized hair dryer. Shower had fantastic water pressure and hot, hot water. Yeah! The desk had a sign indicating “free wifi” but we didn’t test it out.

When we first entered the room, I thought it smelled a bit moldy. We turned on the air conditioner and it seemed to help a bit. The room appeared very clean.

We enjoyed breakfast the next morning at the hotel. Jacob was our server and was extremely helpful. He kept our coffee cups hot and full. The buffet had the usual fair of fruit, scrambled eggs, grits, potatoes, yogurts, pastries, etc. They had a waffle iron where you could make your own waffle. The difficulty here is that the batter for the individual waffles was poured into little long-necked carafes. The heavy portion of the batter settled to the bottom so when you poured it onto the waffle iron, only the top liquid would come out. So you ended up with only a portion of a waffle, but it was tasty regardless. The crispy bacon was right on the mark. You could also order custom made omelets and pancakes.

The lobby keeps Starbucks coffee available 24 hours a day. They also had a nice selection of teas. We really enjoyed grabbing a cup on our way to and from the room.

Overall, I think I would return to this hotel primarily because of the wonderful staff. We truly felt like everyone went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Chattanooga is a wonderful place to visit and the Hilton staff gave us a warm welcome.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank n2exploring
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I am a fan of Hilton Garden Inns as I think they have comfortable (sleep adjust) beds and very good pillows. The HGI in downtown Chattanooga is no exception. It is conveniently located to most everything in town. The only drawbacks are parking (not free and across a small side street), and the price is a bit high for the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business