“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #30 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Atlanta, GA
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. I stayed for two nights. I expected the hotel to be crowded with families and children since it is directly across the street from the Aquarium, but I was pleasantly surprised. The swimming pool and whirlpool were virtually empty. I saw a few well-behaved kids, but I was relieved because I had heard that this hotel does sometimes draw the "families with lots of kids" crowd. Apparently that wasn't the case this particular weekend.

The hotel was clean and pleasant -- the floor that my room was on had been recently renovated. There was no bedspread on the bed just cotton sheets and a thick white comfy sheet cover. It was obvious that this hotel was getting rid of the old fashioned and disgusting habit of keeping unwashed bedspreads on the bed. The king bed was very comfortable. There were five pillows on the bed. There was a small deck that overlooked the downtown area, nice for sitting and relaxing. Amenties were very good.

The were two negatives: The hotel front desk person called 3 times in an attempt to have workers come in and change the curtain rod. I refused to allow this as the curtains were fine and looked brand new -- nothing wrong with the rod. Also, the $7 a day parking fee was rather steep, especially since the parking is a bit of a hike. If it had been raining, the parking situation would have been a problem.

Location is really good for anyone who wants to go to the IMAX, the aquarium, or the Bluff View Arts District. Many restaurants and shops are within walking distance.

Overall, a nice hotel with a good location in downtown Chattanooga.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ATLDawg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed July 8, 2007

The location of this hotel just can't be beat and I would return for this reason alone. But the room was also clean and well taken care of. The only complaint I had was with the breakfast. It is just AWFUL! The food isn't replaced and there aren't enough tables. Even the toaster took forever to cook bread! Stay here but eat elsewhere!

• Liked — Location, free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Breakfast buffet is the pitts
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2007

The staff is sooo wonderful and helpful they even told us of Big River and gave us a discount card for it the room is so clean and spacious it even had a couch the bed is one of the best beds I have ever had in a hotel was soft loved the feather pillows reminded me of my bed at home the bathroom was great and the view and where it is located cant be beat the pool is great and so was the hottub I cant believe it is being redone I told the front staff that how could it get any better ????????

• Liked — bed and view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank itlepeanut
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed July 6, 2007

In general this Courtyard is not at the same standard as the one I stay at in Nashville. The beds are lousy, not what the Courtyard on West End (Nashville) has, nor what is advertised on TV for road warriors. The breakfast resturant was total chaos, no one seemed to understand what their job was, it took over 30 minutes to get our omlettes and 15 minutes before someone would refil the waffle batter cups. One couple got mad when we got our omlettes, not knowing ours had been burnt, the cook walked away (his second day on the job) and it took a while for someone to get pull off busing to cook the omlettes. The biggest problem came when the front desk manager chewed my but out for complaining about the beds. He asked me how I found the stay, I said disappointing, because of the beds (he never gave me the chance to say anything about the resturant) He says that all Marriott beds are the same, that there was no way this bed was different than Nashville. The bed at this courtyard had a thin sheet for a very thin mattress sheet, you could see the mattress through the sheets. In Nashville, you have a mattress topper on top of a mattress pad, with really thick sheets. You sunk into a very comfortable bed in Nashville, in Chattanooga, you bounced on thin, see through sheets. Marriott needs to keep their standards consistant across the board. I do expect a Courtyard to be different than a J.W. Marriott, but I do expect the same quality between Courtyards. I don't expect to get chewed out about my experience at the front desk. I'll be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn from here on out. We thought we'd try this Courtyard after our wonderful experience in Nashville, but in Chattanooga, this property is not managed properly, at least on holiday weeks. My son really liked the pool, that is better at the Courtyard, than at the Hilton Garden Inn. A pity we won't be staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lousy beds, poorly ran resturant, getting chewed out on checkout.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed March 21, 2007

The location for this hotel cannot be beat. We took our three children to Chattanooga and walked almost everywhere we wanted to visit... the aquarium, the Children's Museum, and restaurants galore. The skatepark was only a short drive away for the boys, and we were a short distance from Rock City (See Rock City!) which we hit on our way home.

The staff was professional, nice, and very helpful.

The reason the hotel didn't get an excellent rating was because of the breakfast area. We paid over $30 for four breakfasts that were less than the equivalent of what many other hotels give for free. If you go, skip the breakfast buffet and find a nice restaurant for a decent meal.

However, that's the only negative, and I don't choose a hotel based on the breakfast!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank BG_MomOf4
Gardendale, Alabama
Reviewed February 11, 2007

I booked a King room at this hotel for one night, with check in on 2/10/07. I looked around on a few websites, and ultimately got the best rate by contacting the hotel directly. We arrived an hour early for check-in, however our room was ready so they let us go ahead and check in. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and had a nice balcony overlooking Chestnut Street. The beds are really comfortable, as are the pillows. Our room had a mini-fridge, coffee maker and hair dryer (which worked amazingly well on my long hair). The hotel has a nice indoor pool and hot tub, as well as a lounge and a breakfast buffet. The buffet was great, and well worth the $8.95 price. It came with all the juice, tea or coffee you wanted, as well as the usual assortment of pastries, biscuits, grits, gravy, sausage and bacon. The best part for me though was the do-it-yourself waffles and the gentlemen that would make your eggs any way you wanted them (including omelettes any way you wanted them). This hotel was directly across from the Aquarium and IMAX and definitely has the best location in the area. It's within walking distance of the attractions and restaurants, and the trolly station is directly behind the hotel. I would definitely stay in this hotel again, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in this area.

• Liked — The great front desk staff and the proximity to local attractions and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dixiegal
Tennessee
Reviewed January 5, 2007

This hotel is very nice and in a good location if you are planning to go to the Chattanooga Aquarium and IMAX. Located close to the waterfront, there is a free bus that takes you around town.
We had dinner at the Back Inn Cafe, which is within walking distance, and was very good. There is also a Gordon Biersch brew pub across the street.

• Stayed December 2006