“Worth staying inside all day! - Handicapped room review”

Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #29 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Worth staying inside all day! - Handicapped room review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband was in town for a business conference and I had the opportunity to come along - and keep myself busy all day. When we arrived, I had already called the hotel twice that morning with questions, and fully expected a 3-4 hour wait minimum before the room was ready (early check in - I arrived before 8am). Surprisingly, I was offered a handicap room immediately or the option to wait for a regular room. After checking out the handicap room I accepted it as a great solution. It is a very accessible room, with all accessible amenities, including a wall flasher doorbell (don't know what they are called) for deaf users. Out of all the deaf people I know, I would not have thought to ask for a handicap room if I was deaf, but now I know. There is even a phone on the wall right next to the toilet, I suppose for help for the seriously handicapped. Instead of a shower stall as I feared (and I know many handicapped need a shower stall rather than tub) there was an amazing shower with bars all around inside a traditional tub, and an amazing adjustable shower head. The only downside was it clearly could attach at a level usable for the wheelchair bound and it was at its highest setting, reachable only to those standing. However, since I am physically fine, I would imagine that housekeeping might adjust that when they know someone wheelchairbound would stay there alone.

I am not used to reviewing for handicaps so I'm sure I'm missing something, but everything seemed very accessible. Even the closet was at a lower height for most of it, and a standard height for a small section (important for hanging tall things without wrinkles, even for the handicapped!)

I have enjoyed the room enough and its cleanliness that I have stayed in the room and not explored much of Chattanooga. We checked out the pool area, and the pool was great (although small as most hotel pools are, but this is common) and the hot tub was over chlorinated. We talked to the hotel staff who were very surprised, and it has had good reviews, so we think someone double-added the chemical or something like that.

All interactions with hotel staff have been fabulous and everyone, including maintenance staff have been very courteous. The biggest downside for me was the paid parking, but in a downtown area it has to be expected (and if there was a cheapie hotel here they would have to pay too - it's a facet of being in a great downtown location). The pedestrian bridge is worth walking to and over... this is a beautiful area. Having previously been employed by a similar class of hotel (not owned by Marriott), I definitely agree with other reviewers that having a valet service would be a great addition to the hotel. In this setting, the parking garage itself was not the most obvious set up and there are many guests willing to pay an extra amount (Parking was$ 8 I would expect Valet to be... $12?) to avoid the hassle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
luckychris101
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We had a gift certificate to stay at this hotel compliments of a charity poker tournament. I say this, because this is not the hotel I would have chosen for my family with two small children. We could tell this hotel is set up to accommodate a business traveler but did us fine too. The hotel's indoor pool was able to provide for a needed energy release before bed time! The staff was very helpful and appropriately chatty, even when riding up in the elevator with us. Self parking is in a garage with elevator access up to your floor. The downtown shuttle picks up right outside with free direct access to the city's most popular attractions. The breakfast buffet was full, although not heavily used on both mornings we were there. The items were checked and refreshed when needed. We ordered a late night meal in the bar on our first night; the full restaurant menu was available even though it was closed. Overall a clean and comfortable business hotel.

Room Tip: Request a view of the mountains
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

First time staying at this property, we ussually stay at the full service Marriott, which I like (They were full). I was shocked on my visit area around this property. The first time we visited this area we were HARASSED by pan handlers and the Downtown Convention Marriott was the only nice option downtown. We went to the Aquarium adjacent to this Courtyard, but you would not want to walk around outside. This area of Chattanooga is going through quite the turnaround. This is a new property and is a great Courtyard by Marriott, but the improvements and efforts the state of TN has made in downtown Chattanooga (Aquarium/Warehouse District Renovations)are now making a difference. The property is in a renovated warehouse area and is kept up nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. Plus as stated the area around this Marritot now offers several restaurant and shopping options. Plus walking down along the river and over the ped bridge is scenic and relaxing. If you are visiting this river city or heading to Rock City, Ruby Falls or Lookout Mountain, finish with a stay at the Downtown Chattanooga Marriott. Plus there is a very historic river boat on the walk now, which is worth checking out and even getting something to eat! I was very impressed, now my only problem is, which Marriott do I stay at!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We spend 3 nights (Thur-Sun). Hotel is in a great location, right in the middle of the downtown, near attractions, restaurants, etc. Parking garage in the same block as hotel, very convenient. Free electric tram station adjacent to hotel. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We had a suite (407) which was right next to the elevator, but no noise from halls or elevator. Very quiet, just a little traffic noise. Nice small bar open in the evenings with outdoor fire pit and courtyard. Indoor pool was OK, good for kids. Has a small "bistro" for breakfast (must pay).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed her 4 nights to finish up our annual trip to the USA. We were upgraded - which was nice - and then on the 2nd evening the rain poured in thru' the window frame - which was not nice. ( huge storm at the time.)
Always think that the mark of a good hotel is how the staff respond to this sort of problem. Can't fault any of them. It was taken care of immediately and next day we were moved up to the top floor.
Guy on the front desk was SO professional. In fact all the staff we encountered were great.
Hotel is in a great location very near to the Aquarium and you can get the free shuttle on the doorstep to go visit the Choo choo. nice restaurants nearby.
Breakfast you pay for but the service was fast and cheerful. Food freshly prepared and Starbucks coffee so we were very happy.
It's not a cheap hotel but in this instance you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

This is exactly what you would expect from a Marriott. Clean, great location and friendly staff. The only downside is that the lobby is small and you have to pay for parking.... other than that... it was great! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Franklin, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

Our family counts on this hotel for weekend breaks, and it's always great. You're greeted with a smile, check-in is always quick, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the location is perfect. Heck, even housekeeping staff takes the time to say hi. The Aquarium is just across the street, and the IMAX is just across another, with the Lookouts playing baseball about a quarter mile away. I travel with my wife and two younger kids (6 and 3) and they love the place too. You'll enjoy your stay here, and we'll be back. The Turners

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family