“great fried chicken and hot tamales”
Review of Champy's

Champy's
Ranked #10 of 847 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed January 21, 2013

i ordered the hot tamales and 1 piece of fried chicken, a thigh with the crackers and slaw. the chicken was amazing, the best i've every had. the tamales were great as well and the slaw was good but average. the chicken though... was pretty the best.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

What a great chicken shack, wish I could have enjoyed the patio. Being from the South and eating fried chicken my entire life, I can tell you this place has really good chicken. The beans are ok and the slaw, well is slaw, but the chicken was hot, fresh, and crispy. We also had the tamales, which were outstanding, but don't eat the corn husk like the folks from Wisconsin beside us did. The ambiance was awesome and would definitely go back.

1  Thank timfullen
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been to Champy's several times and it is the best fried chicken. It is even good the next day if you have left overs. The atmosphere is unique. Where else can you go get a 40oz bottle of beer and great food. It's like being at a good cook out. Don't forget to try the world's best tamales. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have had a ton of fried chicken in my life which is probably not the best for me, but this is hands down the best I have had. We started with the sausage appetizer that has sausage, pickles, and cheese that compliment each other so well, we are now making our sausage apps at home like this. We also had jalapeno poppers which aren't my thing, but they are good.

I got the three piece meal that has two huge chicken breasts and a wing with baked beans, cole slaw (great slaw, just how I like it) and a slice of white bread all for $8.75. Amazing deal and I took a piece home with me. In fact, no one finished their meal because the portions are so big. Next time my wife and I are splitting the three piece.

As others say, the restaurant atmosphere is awesome if you like the "looks like a shack and has character" type of places...which we love.

We go to Chattanooga 1-2 times a year and this will become a must each time.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Champy's is worth going to for the gritty atmosphere and good eats. It's hardly the best fried chicken in the world. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but in a standard way. You know - crispy outside, moist inside, adequately seasoned. Our family-size order was a little too brown, but good. The sides, which I think are the real definer of a restaurant of this type, are also just adequate. The best, that we had, were the friend jalapenos and the baked beans. I'm not even a baked bean fan, but I thought they were exceptionally good. I am a huge coleslaw fan, but Champy's slaw is nothing special. None of this averageness will keep me from going back. The building is a charming dive, the service fine, and the food plenty good.