“Good fried chicken - need to go back for the dine-in experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Champy's

Champy's
Ranked #10 of 826 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chattanooga, TN
“Good fried chicken - need to go back for the dine-in experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had heard good things about Champy's. One rainy night when the spouse was going to be out, I decided to drop in and pick up some take-out. The chicken was excellent. I had a 3-piece white meat platter and it was a lot more food than I could eat. I also ordered an appetizer of the fried pickled green tomatoes, just because I was curious.

The food is cooked after you order, so if you're in a hurry, call ahead. I think the best deal would be to eat in. I snacked on the FGT on the way home and they were best when they were hot.

They appear to have a pretty good assortment of bottled and draught beers. Looks like an excellent place to go on an afternoon or evening when the weather is nice since they have a good deal of outdoor seating (although the view is nothing to speak of). They do have live entertainment on the weekends.

Definitely will be put into my "rotation" of places to go. I got to talk to one of the managers and she was extremely friendly and helpful. She suggested that the next time that I substitute the mashed potatos for one of my sides (I ended up with baked beans and cole slaw).

• Visited October 2011

Dalton, Georgia
“EVERYTHING DELICIOUS--DON'T MISS THIS ONE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I always order both the fried chicken and tamales since I cannot choose between the two. My husband likes the chicken and also the fried catfish.

I have not been able to find good home made tamales in all our travels (even in Phoenix at a good mexican restaurant). So was pleasantly surprised to finally find tamales that are authentic!

• Visited September 2011
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“My grandmother had to be in the kitchen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The fried chicken was so incredible I commented to the waiter that my grandmother who lives in Goose Creek, SC had to be in their kitchen cooking. People, I was born and raised in the south and I'm telling you, bar none, this is the best fried chicken I've ever had. It's piping hot, incredibly crisp, just the right amount of grease (it can't be a dry crisp), cooked all the way through but juicy. This place isn't well known by tourist so your going to find more of a local crowd.

ONLY negatives (and this is me being very picky):
Restrooms, avoid. But at a dive like this, what do you expect?
Not a huge selection of sides and they are so-so, go for the mashed potatoes
Slow service, but it's because it's cooked FRESH

Thank you Champy's!

• Visited August 2011
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Love this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Great Mississippi style tamales, really good wings and fried chicken as well. I'd like to see the beer list expanded to include more craft beer selections. The service can be a little slow but as we only go on weekends that's no big deal, unless my beer goes empty.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank TNBear
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Don't miss this chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Read a good review of Champy's in Garden & Gun magazine and decided to try it. We have family in the area and they had not heard of it. They were a bit scared because the address listed was not in a very good part of the city. Upon arriving we did have our doubts, but I never judge an eatery by its location or appearance, if you do you will most certainly miss out on some treasures. This was no exception, its a dive (which I have no problem with), but some of the older members of the family needed "encouragement". Now down to the food. Haven't had better hot tamales since I lived in New Mexico, just great!!! Good beer selection, including 40's with specially designed koozies to fit them. Gives a new meaning to having 1 beer. Anyway the Grand Finale, The Fried Chicken, trust me when I say I have had my fair share of fried chicken and this was one of the best ever. Juicy, tender, crispy, and delicious. Cole slaw and beans are quite good as well. So if you get by the bit scary location and outward appearance don't miss it. Excellent service also. If it sat in different location it would be no different looking than many bar and grill type places with bar and outdoor seating out at the street front. I highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2011