“Poor service and over-emphasis on sweet desserts”
Review of City Cafe Diner

City Cafe Diner
Ranked #34 of 839 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Still a convenient diner-type place to eat. Next to a downtown motel.

There are newer reviews for City Cafe Diner

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Ate at the City Cafe Diner three times while in Chattanooga for business. The first was for lunch one day. The place was crowded with conference attendees but we still enjoyed great service. The menu was extensive with something to please any taste. I had a grilled chicken sandwich and my dining companions had Italian dishes. We all agreed the food was great.

The second time I ate there was for breakfast. I had a belgian waffle and scrambled eggs. Good choice from an extensive menu of breakfast items. I believe there were about 20 different omelets and everything else from cold cereal to eggs benedict.

Both times I visited the City Diner I couldn't get over the selection of cakes and pies in cases near the front checkout area. We made up our mind that we were coming back later that evening for dessert and we did.

When we came back that evening for dessert & coffee our server, Todd (I think), was so cordial. He actually took us up to the cases and named every cake, pie, and dessert offered. He was patient and answered our questions with knowledge that only comes with experience waiting on customers. We made our choices and the serving sizes were huge! I didn't finish mine, but took the remainder to go and enjoyed it the next day.

Don't miss those dessert cases - it's a feast for the eyes before you even order! And since the diner is open 24 hours a day, you can enjoy it whenever your sweet tooth calls.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

After reading the reviews we wanted to try the fried chicken... it was disappointing. The cream of mushroom soup was very good but the sides were just average. The highlight was the Seven Sins Chocolate cake; it was moist & rich! I would give the soup a 4 rating & the cake a 5!

Reviewed April 2, 2012

We asked the desk clerk at a nearby hotel for a decent restaurant close by. She suggested the City Cafe at the close-by Best Western. Despite past not great experiences at motel restaurants (often over-priced and mediocre) we went to the City Cafe. Wow! After studying the LARGE menu my wife picked a spinach pie that she said was the best she had ever had. My Cobb salad was delicious with a generous portion of grilled chicken. Service was excellent. The only bad thing was that the large portions left no room for the luscious-looking desserts.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I recently ate at this restaurant with family. They have about everything on the menu you can imagine. Beef, fish, chicken, pork, salads, pasta, Greek, seafood. Etc. They are in a Best Western hotel. THe food is good, but you have to go for the desserts. They have 85 different desserts and a cake slice alone will have you eating on it for two days. Huge slices of at least six layer cakes. Just go there for dessert is well worth the time.