“Good but overpriced accomodations”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga I-24 West
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This was our second or third trip to this hotel (we own property up that way) and while the hotel was decent, we will likely not go back. For an average $100/night, there are better values in the Chattanooga area. It's proximity to a Cracker Barrel is nice, and the complimentary breakfast was good, but the location and rooms were just average.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
TameikaMurray, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga I-24 West, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2009

We appreciate you taking the time to post comments regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Positive word of mouth is vital in building our business as well as our reputation. Again , thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

Our overall experience with the Country Inn and Suites was very good!
We checked in on May 11th, 2009 and checked out that Friday. Our check in was very quick and speedy. Everyone at the desk was very polite and courteous. We also got a great deal! It was their 1-2-3 Whee! program. If you stay 3 nights, you get 33% off.

The hotel room was nice. Very spacious. The front desk told me they're going to be updating this year and getting flat screen TVs.

Again, the front desk was extremely helpful. I called down a few times to get assistance with restaurants. They were more than helpful and didn't act like it was a bother at all.

The indoor pool was not heated and was extremely cold. We were unable to use it.

Their breakfast was fabulous! Biscuits, sausage, omelets, waffles, yogurt, toast, bagels, fruit, burritos....Everything was kept very clean, too!

The business center was nice to have especially the printer.

My only major complaint was the bathroom. While it was great to have all that counterspace, there wasn't a vent. The glass was quick to fog up after taking showers. Also the shower curtain wasn't long enough to stay inside the tub, and water kept getting all over the floor.

Great overall stay though! We couldn't beat the price.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed here during our Christmas holidays to visit family. The hotel room was very large and had plenty of room,but that's about the best thing I can say about the room. We stayed at this hotel 3 nights and our room was not vacuumed while we were there. We came back to our room around 4:00 pm one day and our room still was not cleaned. The room was also very noisy. We didn't know what was going on the first night we were there, but we believe the loud noise was coming from inside the wall by the bathroom. We didn't know if everyone else had the same problem in their rooms, but the noise was very loud in our room. The noise would come and go off throughout the night. We just tried to get along with it. Our beds were not that great, and the comforters felt cheap. The elevator also smelled moldy, but the stairs were just about more convenient anyway. The lobby was nice, and the breakfast was decent. Overall, this hotel is very average, but maybe we just had a bad experience because of the room we stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank krissy1028
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed one night here over the Christmas holidays. We thoroughly had a nice time at this hotel. Reservationist was very friendly and helpful on the phone. This hotel allows pets-we have a small dog. I believe there is a size limit. Our room, on the 3rd floor, was immaculate; we had 2 queens and a pull out sofa. The "living room" had a sofa, chair, coffee table, desk/2 chairs, TV center/drawers. Internet connection good. Bar area-iron/board, frig, microwave, cupboard storage, good size bathroom, bedroom had 2 queens, nightstand, chairs, dresser and TV. Beds very comfortable. We had no problems and the breakfast was very good for a hotel breakfast. Everyone was very friendly that we encountered. They were supposed to charge for our dog ($25), but never did. We will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank tymetraveler222
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I've worked in the hotel industry for quiet sometime. And I have stayed at this location many times. Yes they do have a less than average breakfast but they have improved a lot. Honestly you can't always go by these reviews because 8 times out of 10 the only people who do these reviews are the people who had bad experience. Yes they have had a few problems, but what hotel doesn't. And for all the people who expect a Double Tree or Hilton room. Go to Double Tree or Hilton. The people that work here do the best they can with what they have. And most of the time when the front desk clerk doesn't do anything about it (to your own personal expectations) it's probably because they can't . They aren't plumbers or maids or maintenance people their jobs are at the front desk. And if you don't want to take the chance of staying at a hotel while there is a group there. then don't travel or go to a hotel that is for adults only because you take that chance where ever you decide to stay.
Everytime I have stayed here it has been amazing! And I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank abw008
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My husband and our 7 children stayed just one night - Oct. 3rd in order to go to Rock City and other sites the next day. I selected this hotel because of its location and amenties. We had to book two rooms and requested adjoining suites.

When we arrived, the first set of rooms we were booked in were not adjoining and the staff was able to only find one other set that would work. When we got in the rooms they smelled horribly bad like a sewer. We had not choice but to stay, since it was very late and we didn't want to uproot the children. I went to the front desk and they gave me some sort of air purifier machine and some deoderizer.

Then we took the children to the "heated" indoor pool (which was one of the main reasons I chose the hotel) and it was freezing cold and the children could not use it. I reported this to the front desk. When I went back up to the rooms, one of the shower faucets was making a horrible banging noise (for no apparent reason since no one was using the shower). I finally got it to stop.

The beds were comfortable, there was plenty of room, the staff was nice enough, and the complementary breakfast was good.

I received an on line survey the following Monday and completed it honestly. The very next morning I received a reply from the hotel manager with the offer to refund a portion of our expense due to the problems we had. I have never had that happen before! I will say, that for as upset as I was the night we stayed, I felt much better about the management's concern for their guests and the attention to "make it right". I did receive a partial refund as promised.

I do hope the hotel can fix some of the problems we had. I am all about customer service and the manager, Tameika, seemed to be also.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TNFamily
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Selected this location for a 3 night stay in the Chattanooga area. The location is easy to find and convenient to the interstate. There are several other places nearby, specifically a Holiday Inn Express across the street and I believe there was a Best Western close by--possibly others. Sharing a parking lot was a Cracker Barrell, and a fast food place very close (I believe it was a Taco Bell).

The room was large--actually 2 rooms--a sleeping area and a living area with a small sofa bed (notice--small). These were separated by an area adjacent to the bath--there was a microwave, refrigerator, and an extra mirror, but not an extra sink that would have been nice. There was the usual small coffee pot, and coffee packages were there upon check-in, but no additional coffee was left on subsequent days--mentioned this at the desk, but still no coffee packages were left. This was inconvenient for the coffee drinkers--not awful, but inconvenient and nonresponsive to requests.

Our a/c didn't seem to work exceptionally well. We stayed cool enough, but had to run it on "high" the entire time. It should be noticed that the weather was very hot while we were there, so this may have attributed to the a/c struggling somewhat. On the last night of our stay, I found a heat pump thermostat that helped cool the bathroom and front room--wish we'd found that earlier! I overheard another guest with an a/c problem--apparently, their room was really HOT--ours wasn't hot, but it wasn't the "snow" another reviewer mentioned--it stayed cool enough in the evening if you ran it on high all the time.

The breakfast area was small, and usually quite crowded. The breakfast items available did not merit a long wait and crowded conditions. I found the breakfast to be "lacking", especially considering that many places in the price range have improved their breakfast considerably. They had the usual cold cereals and pastries, along with a single waffle machine and usually an additional item they seemed to consider appropriate to qualify as a "hot" breakfast. The first morning they had some sort of packaged bacon/egg//biscuit item that you put in the microwave in the package--not very tasty! Someone finally found some boiled eggs as well. The next morning they had something passing for sausage gravy, but it was so croweded we opted to go somewhere else (remember, Cracker Barrell is convenient), and we opted to not fight the crowd again the 3rd morning.

The remote in the bedroom didn't work on the tv in the bedroom or in the living area. This was inconvenient, but not something for me to make issue of, if that had beent he only problem. On the first morning, the tv in the bedroom suddenly went off--can't explain why--perhaps a breaker overloaded. We reported the problem and the tv was working again that evening, and we had no other problems with the tv.

Now for the real problem! Soon after checking in, I noticed an odd smell in the bedroom--couldn't identify it, and assumed it was perhaps the detergent or other cleaning product, but it was definitely unpleasant, and the smell seemed to stay with me throughout the day. When the tv went off the 1st morning, we checked to make sure it hadn't come unplugged and found some leftover Q-tips behind the furniture. Not happy to find this, but assumed it was a minor problem--assumed they would be removed when the tv was fixed--didn't happen. The next morning was when things really began to go downhill. While dressing, someone opened the drawer to the stand between the beds--SURPRISE!!!!!!--there we found a half-eaten burrito, more used Q-tips and a cotton swab with a red substance on it that I can only HOPE was nail polish, or some other cosmetic. Obviously, I wasn't willing to investigate too closely to find out! The leftover, half-eaten burrito proved to be the source of the strange smell I had noticed the first day--YUCK!!!!! I don't think anyone would dispute that this was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and DISGUSTING---represented sloppy cleaning, and made me wonder what else was not cleaned appropriately.

We reported this problem to the front desk (along with the Q-tips still behind the tv). They responded appropriately, seemed genuinely upset and promised to take care of the problem, along with promising an adjustment for 2 nights of our stay. When we returned that evening, the items in the drawer were removed (and the smell gone), but the Q-tips behind the tv remained.

When we checked out the next morning, we found our bill contained only a minor adjustment (about $15) for one night--they had promised an adjustment for two nights, and I had expected much more than $15 considering the unsanitary conditions we found! We mentioned the inconsistency in what was promised and what happened and were told that the person with the authority to make any additional adjustments was not on duty and would not be returning for two days. I have since contacted the chain by e-mail, but have not received any sort of reply--that doesn't mean I've given up, but to me shows a general lack of concern. I expected better conditions and service--I am very disappointed at their response, or lack thereof.

Would I stay here again? As you can guess, that answer is "NO WAY"!! There is absolutely no excuse for such sloppiness in cleaning and such carelessness in customer relations!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family