“A gem hidden by a food court and chain restaurant madness”
Review of Sitar

Sitar
Ranked #384 of 833 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“A gem hidden by a food court and chain restaurant madness”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Normally I am very critical of indian restaurants but this one was a pleasant surprise. After looking at 1 hour waits at all the other restaurants in the area we trudged in to this restaurant. There was no wait (which worried us given how busy the other restaurants were) but were pleasantly surprised. The biryani had wonderful flavor and came in a huge portion (enough for a meal the next day). My wife who is VERY averse to spicy food and asked for her dish to be mild and unlike most other restaurants the spice level was perfect. All of this was accompanied by prompt and friendly service (our water glass was never more than half empty). Really worth a stop while visiting the aquarium.

• Visited July 2012

“Delicious savory, spicy food; excellent service”
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Our whole family enjoyed the flavorful dishes: Biryanis, Chicken Tikka, Indian Tea, Mango Shakes, Garlic Naan. The waiter was right: they don't serve band food. The wait staff was very attentive and gave excellent service. Though my daughter loved the "Indian hot", medium spice meant a steady burn in my mouth the entire meal. Like Thai restaurants, next time I'll order mild.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Whose sari now?”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Returned to Sitar to try their buffet and get a larger sampling of their food then I had by ordering a la carte.
Chicken curry, Chicken vegetable (mixed, frozen), Tandoori chicken. The first two dishes were wet with sauce, each of which was slightly different; the curry had darker spicing. Understated but recognizable spice was present. Tandoori was not dried out and had some vague spice flavors, but had been liberally baptized in red food coloring.
Saag panir, vegetable kofta, “black” dal. The saag tasted faintly of spinach, the panir was in recognizable cubes; rather bland. The kofta were mainly carrot bound with chickpea flour in a sauce thickened with nut pieces if not ground nuts. Nice texture and pleasant enough flavor. Dal was very loose and soupy, swimming in oil, with a paucity of dal. The cooking liquid was poorly spiced and unpleasant; I couldn’t enjoy it even poured over rice.
Potato curry-tumeric and French’s mustard flavor in wet sauce, Potato and eggplant curry, also swimming in oil, the eggplant completely disintegrated leaving only the skins. Both had mild spice flavor
Rice with a little cumin, Pulao (pilaf) -tumeric colored rice w mixed frozen veggie, Chicken Biryani- rice mixed w chicken vegetable.
On the side were tomato/lettuce salad, a nice sour chat salad of potato and flour chips; over-diluted tamarind “sauce”; a green “chutney” that could have been canned Mexican salsa verde with cilantro-VERY vinegary; a watery rancid raita that was too sour to eat, unless you like very sour milk; a couple desserts; naan, and a reasonable pakora selection.
Actually, this was the most successful experience I’ve had at Sitar. On other occasions, I was not served what was on the menu item I ordered: Saag (a truly nasty puree where the panir had dissolved, leaving a white/green paste) was served instead of the listed Korma, which turned out to be frozen veggies in Ubiquitous Red Sauce (URS). Raita was not served until I asked, ditto the chutney on the vegetable thali. Pappadam, listed as coming with the thalis was not served because it had been served when we sat down! Once I had a enjoyable dal makhini (mixed, mainly black dal with a cream enriched sauce) another time the “dal” was rajma, which were merely slightly spiced kidney beans in URS. And when the menu lists black or yellow dal, it doesn’t mean you have a choice; it’s which ever one they have prepared and decide to serve. The lamb curry stands out in comparison as the best dish on the two thalis.
There was some distinction in flavors among the dishes, but no real variety in cooking styles, contrast or texture.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank ssmynkint
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
“Decent Food - Rude Service”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My family and I went there for lunch buffet - we were 4 adults and a one year old - the buffet was above average - we are vegetarians - they had 1 appetizer, about 6 entrees, lemon rice, white rice and Naan - they also had 2 desserts. I thought the food was pretty decent But the service was rude - My 1 year old spilled some rice from his plate and by mistake I pushed a glass of water on the table. Instead of cleaning the table - the waiter just put a paper tower on top of the table and told my 1 year old that he was a "Dirty Boy" - We politely apologized for the mess, told him to not disturb us during our meal - ate quickly and left - This place has NO CLUE on how to treat customers...LOL..maybe they need intrusion from Gordon Ramsey or Robert Irving.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Shanker B
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Yes I know it was a lunch buffet, but most Indian restaurants that I have ate at that served a buffet style menu have usually been very good. NOT THIS PLACE.

I have ate better Indian microwave dinners than this place. This was not Indian food... It tasted very cheap and not very well prepared.

I would not recommend this place to anyone in the area.

• Visited May 2012