“Wildlife friendly cruise”
Review of Blue Moon Cruises - CLOSED

Blue Moon Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blue Moon is a 77 foot luxury cruiser offering eco-tours and evening cruises on the Tennessee River in Downtown Chattanooga. From both decks you will have great views of the river and all the abundant wildlife. January and Feburuary the Blue Moon moves to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge about 30 minutes north of Chattanooga to experience the amazing migration of 15,000 SandHill Cranes and nesting Bald Eagles. Cruise dates and times vary based on the season. All trips include a meal- group and youth rates are available.
Georgetown, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wildlife friendly cruise”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife & I have been on numerous eco excursions, on both land & water. there are 3 river cruise ships in Chattanooga. However, only the BLUE MOON is focused on wildlife which is why Tish Gailmark, naturalist at the Arboretum & Nature Center recommended the Blue Moon. This is because of Capt'n Dave's knowledge.

We've listened to David Haggard, west Tn naturalist at Reelfoot Lake State Park, 3 times & Doris Maggard twice. Both do wildlife talks & tours with live raptors in hand. We were very impressed not only with Capt'n Dave's knowledge of Chattanooga history but also of his wildlife knowledge. He navigated not down the center of the river but within 50' of shore to get a closer look at numerous turtles & great blue herons. plus the highlights were 2 cormorants (a diving, fish catching, odd duck looking bird) & an immature bald eagle.

The delicious smoked BBQ lunch was outstanding & was only missing baked beans.

If you're looking for a speed boat Disney ride, like the Tn Aquarium Explorer, then the Blue Moon isn't for you. But if you are looking for great wildlife viewing then you've found the right boat in Chattanooga.

Visited October 2013
6 Thank bobglass1958

Spring City, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Lock Thru Cruise was wonderful experience.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I took his 85 year old Dad on this trip because he had never been through one of the locks on the TVA. We had a wonderful day, one he will remember forever. There were only about 12 on the boat, so we had plenty of space and the crew was wonderful. They serve a buffet style BBQ lunch which is very good. The beverages were out the entire trip and the food was served for at least 3 hours. The total trip is about 5 hours and is very interensting. The captain invited my Father in law up to the pilot house while we were in the lock and gave us lots of interesting information. We spent a lonely day on the lakes, one we will not forget. Everyone should do this cruise at least once.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank kinzukid
Chattanooga, TN
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“A new experience every time!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Took a friend visiting from NYC on this, my 4th or 5th Blue Moon cruise--my first cruise downriver. There were very few people on board, including a large Asian family that may have had limited English since they did not appear to be interested in the narration but did seem to be enjoying themselves viewing the sights and talking together. I mention this because the narrator, Captain Dave, and his fiendly and capable crew worked tirelessly for the few (five) passengers who were involved in this part of the total experience.

We learned a tremendous amount about the Creek and Cherokee history of the region, the Civil War, the river, river commerce, and the local wildlife and ecology. Since I'd been on other cruises, I was particularly impressed with Capt. Dave's breadth and depth of knowledge. There is nothing "canned" about his presentation; it varies with the sightings and the interests of the passengers, so every trip is unique.

The teamwork was also remarkable--a pleasure to watch in action, particularly if you enjoy boating. At the end of the cruise, we were overtaken by a rather intense storm, but felt safe and comfortable. Food (Bar-B-Q lunch) and drinks (we had Bloody Marys) were terrific. Perhaps the best guage of excellence: My New York City guest was impressed! We'll be back.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank mbj2
Douglasville, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What an awesome cruise”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I took the cruise of the Tennessee River and it was so nice and peaceful cruise. We were provided with a barbeque lunch and the captain made sure that we learned historical events that took place along the river. Great experience.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank tinap330
bham
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“awesome time”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have never been on a cruise boat touring the tennessee river, My boys ages 5 and 10 were excited just like my hubby and I . the owner on the boat was very knowledge on the area, they played music and the kids were given the opporunity to steer the boat. the food was ok , but the boat ride was smooth and relaxing. Everybody on the cruise July 6 were nice . would i take a ride again HELL YEA !!!!! . ROLL TIDE.

Visited July 2013