“Beautiful view and a fun train ride”

The Lookout Mountain Incline Railway
Ranked #19 of 148 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as “America’s Most Amazing Mile,” The Incline’s trolley-style cars climb through the natural beauty surrounding historic Lookout Mountain at a breathtaking 72.7% grade – straight up! Sit back, relax and enjoy the scenic views of the mountains and valleys from the observation windows on the train as well as the panoramic views from the observation tower at The Incline’s top station. And while you’re up top, be sure to visit the many points of Civil War interest, the Battles for Chattanooga Electric Map & Museum and Point Park, part of the Chickamauga -Chattanooga National Military Park system, just a few short blocks from the Incline top station.Then, after you descend back down to the Incline bottom station, explore historic St. Elmo, where a wonderful collection of unique shopping and dining experiences await you.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
North Pekin
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beautiful view and a fun train ride”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

If you ride The Incline be sure to take it from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Its fun either way but if you ride it from the top down you won't be seeing anything you haven't seen on the drive up. Don't expect this to be like an amusment park ride because it moves pretty slow. It probably takes 10 minutes per trip one way. If you have the time its worth the short walk to Point Park at the top. We arrived late in the day so we didn't have much time to see either station before closing time. Ill have to go back and spend more time next time i'm in Chattanooga. The only complaint I have is that I though the price was a little steep but so is everything else in the area. The incline is a must see if you're in Chattanooga.

Visited July 2010

Danbury, Connecticut
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice experience specially for kids”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We took the combo tickets tour for Incline Railway, Rock City and Ruby Falls. They were simply just located close to each other that's why we took the combo tickets. The Incline is a nice ride up the mountain to see the view on top. there is another attraction which is Point Park near the Incline. We didn't go there because you had to pay extra for that. There is an upper level observatory on top of the mountain which has a nice view of the city.

By the way, In Chattanooga, it seemed that all attractions always start out in the gift shop.

Visited June 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good view, worth the price”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

pick a clear day if possible. if you like engineering - the mechanics of the operation is worth the trip alone. When you get to the top, but sure to go to the basement to see how it works. Great view from the top. Little kid will be bored quick. i wish i had taken time to hike over to the battlefield, but rain was on its way in.
i don't see the price being out of line, as i sure the opertional cost is high on this train.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank mealoil
Athens, Tennessee
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Fun, but expensive.”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I went here with my wife a month ago as we were vacationing from FL and wanted to see some of the sights. It was $40 for us both to ride the incline railway. The ride itself was rather fun, and the view from the top was amazing. You essentially take a ride in a slanted train car all the way up lookout mountain to a station that sells tourist items and horrid food. Don't try the food unless you want to get sick.
My only other quirrel was the staff members who manage the rides up and down are rather incapable; barring some unthinkable accident it really doesn't matter though.
All in all, if you're a tourist in Chattanooga with a big wallet, this is something you'll need to see.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank Additional
Sweetwater, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Horrible Manager”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

After waiting for 3 hours in line, my fiance' and I finally made it to the train. The guy taking our tickets was kinda rude and text on his phone the whole ride up. When we made it to the the top, we immediately started looking at the fudge. That's when I noticed a fly in the fudge cabinet. I asked the boy working behind the counter if I could speak with a manger. He brought me another boy not much older than him. He told me he was manager while his boss was on break? What? Anyways, I showed him the fly. He looked right at the fly and said in quote, "I do not see it" I simply just pointed at it. He looked at me like I was crazy. He was looking at me like I had grown a third eye. After waiting the actual manager, named Ramona (she was the only one wearing a name tag), came up talking to me smelling like smoke. Very rudely, she told me that it happens from time to time. Then she proceeded to pick up the "bad one" as she referred it to and simply threw it in the trash. I watched that fly land on many of the candies in that cabinet. Oh and when she opened the cabinet, she couched, didn't use gloves, and left it open. I went over the food, simply to look, and notice that a slice off old looking pizza was like four dollars. Yeah, right. After all of that, it was then that we found it that the incline did not take you to Rock City or Ruby falls, but we had to ride back down the train then get in our own vehicles and drive all the back to the top of the mountain to see all the other attractions. If I could find a way to talk to that manager's supervisor I would have her in a world of hurt. What was supposed to be a day to relax and have fun turned into one of the worst.

Visited March 2011