“Belongings stolen by housekeeping staff. Beware!”

Howard Johnson Chattanooga Lookout Mountain
Ranked #74 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Management could have cared less. Stay away from this dump and their sister properties next door and down the road (Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge); same management at all three properties.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank lforbus

Reviewed January 30, 2010

These were in my experience the most rude and unwelcoming hotel operators I have ever seen in my life. Horribly overpriced. Why didn't I leave when I still had a chance. Awful.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stopped here late, probably midnight. I was alone, no dog and just wanted a decent place to stay for the night. I said I would take any room available but asked for a ground level room. The front desk guy, maybe about 25 years old, seemed pretty tired. I was shocked when he told me the room was $69 for the night. I wasn't planning on being there for more than 6 hours....sheesh. He said he would give me a discount because I was by myself, but my bill was still about $75. While going back to my car, the guy told me to inform him if I heard anyone yelling as he had been getting complaints of people yelling in the back where my room was. My assumption is that people were fighting over the final World Series game that night or some hooker was ripped off and lost her shoes, as I saw a pair scattered in the parking lot the next morning.

So I was given a 2nd floor room even though I asked for a ground level room, but didn't feel like making a big deal of it; i was exhausted and had been driving for 10 hours. Upon inspection of the room, I noticed many cigarette burns in the comforter, on the remote, end table, sink, coffee pot, tub, toilet seat, rug and even the front door. I then noticed what looked like blood stains on the carpet near the door. Ewww. Then there was either a bloody or greasy hand smeared print on the closet door. Then I noticed speckles of "?" on the shower curtain in the morning. Dark and brown...???dried blood??? no idea?

I was exhausted...ripped the comforter off the bed, used my own pillow, texted the motel address to my boyfriend, chained the door and slept on top of the sheets. Woke up at 6, saw the stains on the shower curtain, showered quickly, packed my car and attempted to try the breakfast.....After the biscuit crumbled to powder in my mouth and the yellow water OJ reminded me of a crayon color instead of a fruit based drink, I grabbed a few bananas and rolled. The morning woman was very friendly, wiping up crumbs and stirring the thick film off of the crock pot gravy. I wasn't given a receipt the night before and requested one from her before I left.

$70+ a night in a filthy room...what a waste of the little money I already have. I can't say what the other rooms are like, but this one, though having potential, was nasty.

Motel/Hotels should stop allowing people to smoke in the rooms also....just makes everything gross like a truck stop Waffle House. I know I asked for a smoking room, but I never expected it to look as though there was a party in it. This was beyond just a smell of cigarettes and and ashtray on the table...there was considerable damage in the way of burns and even a few dents on both sides of the door, as if someone had been trying to bash the door from both sides.

There was also trash on the stairway, a few receipts and a neat pile of cigarette butts that I had not noticed on my way in on a stair, which made me think someone was sitting there while I slept in the room right in front of the stairwell. Pretty creepy.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank nnnoodle
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I've notice lately that a lot of Choice Hotels are getting a little run down. The Quality Inn Lookout Mountain is one of those hotels.

Our stay was in Mid-December as an overnight stay, on the road from Florida to Chicago.

There is a Quality and a Comfort Suites right next door to each other. I chose the Quality because I wanted outside doors, and not have to carry our luggage more than 15 feet.

Nothing really wrong with the room, just getting a little warn with time. Toilets are gas station type lever flush toilets, the rooms a bit barren and rugs that could be replaced. It was okay as a bed for the night, but if I was staying in the area for more than a day, I'd stay at the Comfort Inn next door for a couple bucks more.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

The outdoor pool was dirty, like they don’t clean their filters. They also had an indoor pool, but it was down for maintenance. When we complained, they sent us next door to the “Comfort” Inn, which also had an indoor pool and reciprocal privileges. We went there. Pool hot! Spa cold! We sat in the spa. At least it was clean.

When we left, we told the desk people perhaps they had their temperature controls reversed. We saw that once before, a hot pool and a cold spa, in Tifton, Georgia. So they said they would fix it. We were there for two nights, and we figured we’d check it out again the next day. We also wanted to do laundry, but “Quality” didn’t have one, and, although “Comfort” did, they didn’t have a dryer. But the “Quality” clerk, to whom we have been sympathetic about her toothache, and provided aspirin, snuck our wet clothes into the hotel dryer for us.

The pools were still unusable the next day when we returned. The “Quality” Inn people shrugged when we complained the pool was still dirty, and the “Comfort” Inn people lied and said those were the legally required temperatures for their pool (hot) and spa (cold).

Because the wifi in the rooms didn't work, we had to use the one in the hotel lobby, and it (the lobby) was just full of flies! We wondered about that, but got a clue when, on the morning of the second day, they served rotten boiled eggs for breakfast and claimed they were fresh. Not..

And finally, although this wasn't a real big deal, they had just painted the bathroom of our unit, and when we showered, the steam loosened it and it ra n down the walls. We could have used more, and more convenient, electric plugs in the room, too.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eslbee
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I only stay at choice hotels so I know how good they usually are. I now know how bad they can be. We stayed two nights, I will explain both. The first night, the television was broken and would not work with a remote. I know it sounds trite, but hey for $70 and after a long day you want to relax not jump up every time you want to change channels. The front desk lady was great and tried several different remotes but she finally told me the manager could do nothing about it. Took $4 off the bill but hey, I wanted what I paid for. The HBO would not come in either. The next day I talked directly to the owner and asked for the customary 'late checkout' that is available to every Choice Privileges member. Next thing you know, there is one knock on the door and an immediate opening of the room door. The guy just walked right in on us! Call me picky but invasion of privacy is big with me. I am just glad my wife and I were clothed! This room also had a box spring that was just that all springs no covering. Someone with small kids will end up sueing this place when their kid gets a hand stuck in springs. It will serve them right.

The second night the HBO still did not work. Thank goodness the remote did or I would gripe about that again. The cleaning crew left three large bags full of old food and god know what else right outside our door all afternoon. Sitting in the sun really made the food stench about run us away. I have included a picture of this trash.

Whatever you do, do not stay at this hotel. I would rather sleep in the car. At least the hotel manager doesn't have a door key to the Buick.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crewnut34
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Breakfast did not open until 7am on the weekends. We travel alot and get up early.....open the breakfast at 6am! Overall clean and nice....would not stay again because of the breakfast.....people had to wait in the lobby until some lady motioned for us to eat! It's about the paying customer....that's customer service.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BillyMemphis