“Great hotel”

Ranked #60 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
A TripAdvisor Member
greenfield, ind
Reviewed June 5, 2004

We arrived on wed june 2 and stayed for four nites. I could not have asked for a nicer or cleaner place. Management was very nice and helpful, always providing what you needed, extra coffee, linens, etc. I arrived with a negative attitude after reading the previous review,but quickley changed it the minute I drove in the parking lot towing behind a harley on a trailer. This motel is very nice and I would recommend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed December 5, 2002

I once made a reservation at this godforsaken motel to arrive on a certain date and to stay there for a total of 24 days and received a firm confirmation number over the phone. I was working in the Chattanooga area on a project that involved about 30 co-workers. Most of us had the latitude to make our own motel reservations as we work for a company that allows us an optional $90/day per diem which is to include our lodging and meals. The person who took my reservation quoted me a price of approximately $30/day including taxes and told me that it was located about 25 minutes from my workplace (which was a lie.) I passed this information onto some of my co-workers and I suppose because of the attractive price about 8 of them decided to stay here also. The next thing I know, our company's travel agent is calling the same number and making a reservation for those 8 people and confirming their reservations for their respective travel dates and reconfirming mine and echoing back to me the same confirmation number.

After driving 10 hours and 615 miles to get to this motel and arriving with my confirmation number in hand, I should have been tipped off the moment I pulled into the parking lot what kind of place it really was. There I saw 3 men chugging beers, all naked from the waist up, each well in excess of 300 pounds who looked like they had just failed their physical with the WWF. After asking two foreign looking characters where the motel lobby was I was directed thru sign language to what had to be the dirtiest, dingiest motel lobby I had ever seen in my life. It looked more like the maintenance shed. I presented my confirmation number to a front desk clerk who began to look puzzled the minute his glassy eyes tried to focus on the computer. I could tell there was a problem. Seems my name wasn't on the computer and in fact he had me checking out that day after a 3 day stay. I said "Then tell me, who paid for it?" He merely shrugged his shoulders. I explained to him that I was the first person from my company to place a reservation there and that I really needed a room. He calls the manager by phone. Time drags on while he is intermittently trying to answer the phone and find me other accomodations for the evening because he is obviously the only employee on duty that night. After a total of about 45 minutes I finally am dispatched to another motel that hopefully has a refrigerator because I happen to be carrying about 10 pounds of food that my wife had given me that I brought there in a cooler. But before I go he gives me the phone number of manages this place and suggests that I call her in the morning to see if she possibly has accomodations for me the following night and for the duration of my stay.

I check into my interim motel (at a much higher price of $55/night) and fortunately it has a mini-fridge for my food and I check out the next morning with my bags packed and my food placed back into a cooler and iced down to protect it for the day. I go to my work place that morning (and I incidently find that it is not a 25 minute drive like the ESA reservationist had claimed, but more like 40 minutes) and get there about 7:00am. At 7:30 I have some free time to make a phone call and I pick up the phone determined to line up some accomodations that include a kitchenette either at ESA or somewhere else. The manager answers the phone and she basically tells me that she has no room for me that evening or for the next 3 evenings but that 4 nights down the road she would have something available for me for the duration of my stay. I politely tell her "No, thank you" that I was already tired of packing and unpacking. I ask her how my reservation got screwed up when I was the first person on my crew to call there and she says "I don't know." 20 minutes later I speak to some of my co-workers about my situation. One of them, John, told me that he was given a room at Extended Stay but decided to check out after one night because of its deplorable, filthy condition. Seems his room smelled badly from cigarette smoke and another stench he couldn't quite put his finger on until he heard a loud crash that woke him up. It was the cover plate of the air-conditioning unit that came off and out came about a half dozen half-filled beer bottles. He decides he's had enough. He packs his bags and bangs on the motel lobby door at 6:30 am to check out and this manager (who must either live in this lobby or one of the "luxury" suites nearby) reluctantly opens the door to my irate co-worker. He tells her he's checking out and she tells him he can't, that he's committed to stay there and he says in so many words "read my lips, I'm leaving!" At this point, I'm thinking to myself, that I'm a smoker mys
chain can have the room placed into more presentable condition by the time I get there that evening. So why didn't this manager offer me the room? I suppose the timing of my phone call was just very bad because after dealing with John an hour earlier she wasn't going to offer a room to anybody else from my company even if she had one.

A few minutes later I call my company's travel agent, Ruth, to see if she can recommend a place with a kitchen. She punches in on her computer and locates the Mainstay Suites about 2 miles up the road at a price that is acceptable to my company and books me a room there for the next 23 nights where I stayed for the duration of my stay with no complaints. But during the conversation she tells me that on her computer screen are at least a half dozen vacancies at Extended Stay America - Chattanooga. Ruth tells me she's going to call the manager to see how my reservation got screwed up because exactly one week earlier she had personally called and re-confirmed every one of our reservations including travel dates. Later Ruth calls back after having talked to the manager and she says that the manager's story was all prepared the moment she called because they immediately handed her the phone and she told Ruth that some "female" from my company had called them and changed my reservation to a 3-day stay that was to end on my actual intended arrival date. When I had spoken to the manager an hour earlier none of this was brought up to me. This story had to have been fabricated within the previous hour. Regardless it was another obvious lie by the ESA manager because the only female at my company that was even aware of my travel date was Ruth who would have no earthly reason to alter my reservation. Also, out of my briefcase came the original piece of scratch paper that I jotted my reservation down on in green felt-tip ink when I had made the reservation some 6 weeks earlier. It contained the actual correct dates that I had reserved which happened to coincide with my actual arrival date along with my confirmation number. (Incidently folks, at ESA-Chattanooga confirmation numbers don't mean diddley.) There was no doubt about it. I did not screw up my own reservation and it wasn't Ruth.

Later that day I talked to a female member of our work crew, Andrea, who was evidently turned away from this motel about 1/2 hour before I arrived. In her case they were able to put her up in another motel and allow her to move back the following night. But why did they turn her away at all? She had a firm reservation like the rest of the crew. The answer is obvious. The management of this motel is either doing some serious over-booking or is very bad at math.

To add insult to injury, I'm doing my expense report about 10 days after arriving in Chattanooga and I punch into my Amex account on the internet in order to balance out my account and to see that all of the charges on my credit card are accounted for. To my shock, I learn that the ESA Chattanooga Manager had the audacity to charge my card in excess of $43 for a no-show fee. The date of the transaction was a good 5 days after I had attempted to check in and indicated only one thing...... that it was a deliberate, pre-meditated attempt on her part to bilk me because I would not play "musical beds" by waiting four more nights to check into her fleabag motel. I immediately called American Express and politely advised them of the whole story and gave them Ruth's number to corroborate my story, that I was not in fact a "no-show." I politely told Amex that if they honored this charge we would be arguing about it 5 years from now because there was no way I was ever going to pay it. It eventually was credited to my account by ESA but I don't think it happened real voluntarily. I rather think that they succumbed to the pressure put on them by American Express.

To summarize, renting a motel room is like buying a car or anything else in life. There are Cadillacs and there are Buicks and there are Yugo's. You get what you pay for. This place is obviously more like a Yugo than a Cadillac. I'm sure not all Extended Stay America's are this bad and this diatribe is not intended to smear an entire motel chain. But if there is any motel in Chattanooga that deserves a bad rap, not just for its poor housekeeping but for its blatant dishonesty, this is it. My only hope is that a few unfortunate travelers who have reservations to stay at this dive are fortunate enough to find this advisory on the internet prior to their trip (or have the good fortune to pay in cash.)

26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member