“Horrible Experience”

Ranked #64 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
maryland
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2003

What a nightmare! On a trip down to New Orleans from the D.C. area, we (my husband, I and our 2 young children - 5 and 7) booked a room at this hotel using the Tennessee coupons found at rest areas. We booked using our cell phone, were told that the rate of $45 in the coupon was acceptable, they had a nonsmoking, two double bed suite available. Once we got there, it was after 10 pm, the suite was decent, but not great, and we put the kids down to sleep. THEN, the front desk called and told us we had to move to another room, because OUR room had been booked already. Also, the new room would cost $65. Obviously, my husband was very upset. He tried to tell them that we would pay the extra $20 just to let our kids sleep. They refused. The other ladies had booked a suite, and they only had the "jacuzzi" suite left which was $99/night. Mind you that the other ladies were very nice and offered to stay in whichever room was available to let our kids sleep in the one we had been given.My husband told them that they have no business sense - that they should offer the ladies the jacuzzi suite because it was unlikely it would be used that night - it was past 11 pm. Also, it was their mixup in booking, so they should just apologize and let things be. That was when the owner came, started yelling that she would call the police, etc. I ran down. Fortunately, unlike my husband, I was Indian like the owner and was able to calm her down in my own language. My focus was to get our childrent a decent night's sleep and that I would deal with the mess later in a letter to Corporate and Better Business Bureau.Their weird behavior chased the other ladies away, who told us that they were disgusted with their attitude and would rather find another place.What a nightmare! Don't go there. It isn't worth it. Stick to the known names - Comfort Suites, etc.

24 Thank pakmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2003

I booked this hotel as an inexpensive romantic night out for my husband and myself. Being a travel agent, I am well aware of the fact that you get what you pay for. I bought the most expensive room in the hotel (the jacuzzi suite). At over $100 per night, I was sure that it would be at least a quiet, clean place to relax. Upon arrival, I was given the smoking suite, though I am OBVIOUSLY pregnant. I'm not quite sure that cigarette smoke was the only reason this room smelled so bad, but I couldn't stand it and asked to be moved to a nonsmoking room. In my new room, I wanted to take a soak, but the jacuzzi tub had a nasty ring around it and the hairs I found all over the bathroom floor were suspect. All in all, I was disgusted from the moment I checked in.
There were pillows on the bed that were supposed to have white backing, they were practically black with God knows what. I killed a bug, and went to the front desk to let the clerk know the room was unacceptable.
Though I had been at the hotel a total of about an hour and a half (attempting to give it a chance), the clerk informed me that I would not receive a refund, that he could send a maid. HA! I told him that a maid couldn't fix what was wrong with that room in one trip. The only plus was the sincerity in the apology from their corporate headquaters, as they explained that there was nothing they could do, and that the hotel owner at the Guesthouse Hamilton Place, refused to reimburse me in any way whatsoever. The gentleman never even bothered to call me and ask about my complaints. I must note that this Guesthouse is a franchise, and therefore individually owned. Well, I am a travel agent and I will advise my clients against this property. It is the worse place I have seen in years. As a courtesy to any unsuspecting travelers passing through Chattanooga, don't let this place ruin what could be an other wise pleasant stay in beautiful Chattanooga.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member