“Service not great, very small, not recommended” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn Shallowford

Sleep Inn Shallowford
Ranked #51 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Tennessee
“Service not great, very small, not recommended”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

Very, very small rooms. Bath has toilet and shower and that is all the room there is; very, very small. Beds are not even full size but perhaps larger size singles? Lobby holds one couch, two chairs crammed together and that is all. No meeting area. Housekeeping did not come in the entire stay (Friday 11/10 to Sunday 11/12), but did hand me clean towels when I asked for them out in the hallway. Would not accommodate a late check out, not even one room, when a total of 17 rooms had been booked; was told by the manager, Jim, he simply could not help us out (in spite of hotel being fairly full and assurances by night staff that a late check out would be fine)... Fruit in little breakfast area was not very fresh. Breakfast area very small. Look for some place else to stay off Shallowford Drive area. Plenty to pick from....

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
AL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

After reading the rave reviews on various websites for this hotel I chose to stay here in Nov. 2006. Can't believe we're all talking about the same hotel! It wasn't at all like the reviews. It's not like the newer Sleep Inns I've stayed at. The front desk area, lobby, food area, and my room were all the smallest I've ever seen. My room was very small - one queen bed, white stucco walls, no lamps on the end tables, one very small window. It was the most depressing place I've ever stayed. The small eating area consisted of one or two small tables and a small counter with stools to sit on. Glad I was only staying for one night.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Small, dingy room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Anonymous71
Warner Robins, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2007

Well, based on this hotel's trip advisor rating, I booked it for this weekend (Jan 26-28, 2007). The room was fine. It was clean, not on the ground floor, and smoke free as I'd requested. It was a bit on the small side, but as I was traveling alone, that was OK with me. However, as I got to my room, my heart sank when I realized they'd booked me right next to the vending maching/ice maker room. I actually shared a wall with them. The vending machine had a terribly loud buzz, but I figured if I just kept my room heater on, it would be drowned out. Unfortunately, that didn't work as well with the ice machine.

I was awakened several times overnght. The last straw came when someone needed ice at 5:00 this morning. I called down to the front desk to ask the night clerk if there was another room free that I could move to and hopefully get a few hours of good sleep. Our very frustrating conversation went something like:

"Do you have another room I could move to because I'm finding it impossible to sleep next to the vending room."
"Yes, we have a double room right down the hall."
"OK, I'll just bring my room key down and switch out with you."
"I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. If you'd switched rooms when you checked in, I could do it. But since you've already slept in the room, you can't check into the other room til 3:00 this afternoon."
"You mean I can check out of this room now, but I can't check into the other already empty room to sleep until 3:00?"
"Well, I guess I could call and wake up my general manager and ask him how to do it."
"Don't bother."

So, I checked out of the Sleep Inn at 5:15 this morning, trotted across the parking lot, and checked into the Holiday Inn next door, where I enjoyed 4 blissful, uninterrupted hours of sleep.

As a motel, this Sleep Inn is nice. It's clean and comfortable and in a great area with lots of restaurants and nearby interstate access. Unfortunately, their lackluster customer service this morning cost them my business for tonight and any of my future business as well. I hope someone will teach this poor night clerk that next time, make the customer happy first and worry about your computer later.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cebene
Greenville, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2006

On arrival the hotel attendent, Steve, was very helpful. He definitely knew the area and was able to give detailed directions to the local attractions. He even had a map on which he quickly drew out routes we needed to travel on. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was the normal choice hotels continental with buscuits and gravey. The orange juice was poor quality orange juice. This was the first time we had seen that at a choice hotel.
Overall good value. Only complaint/recommendation... don't stay on the ground level. The seals on the windows are poor and we were awakened during the night when the room filled up with cigarette smoke from someone smoking outside. We did not have the window open or fan on.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smoke in the night
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay on the first floor
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Livelikeno1else
ALABAMA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2006

We chose this hotel (in spite of it 2 star rating) based on the good reviews it received on this site. We were not disappointed. The hotel was so clean and fresh looking I’m guessing that it was recently renovated, so I’d be curious to know long it stays that way. But, for the time being it remains a remarkably clean, quiet, reasonably priced choice.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Very good free continental breakfast. Cracker Barrel across the street.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JAMESD843
nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

We spent two nights here. We had a no smoking room with a queen size bed. The room was spacious and smoke free. The bathroom (toilet and shower) was small. This sink is inside the room. We had a refrigerator. They had a good breakfast. The location of the hotel was good. It was just steps away from many chain restaurants. Withour a question we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank wife99
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

My husband and I were in town for a concert at Memorial Auditorium. We chose to stay at the Sleep Inn Shallowford Road in Chattanooga because it was conveniently located right off of the interstate. It was about a 15 minute drive to downtown to the Auditorium, but we didnt mind. We booked a "King" room, which was a bit smaller than we expected, but still very clean! There is only a shower, no bathtub, which wasnt a problem for us, but for those who might expect a tub, it might be good to know. The only problem we had was the bathroom door (which was a "pocket door") didnt close very well and didnt lock at all. This would have been a bigger problem if we would have had someone else in the room for a visit or something. The continental breakfast was pretty much the "usual"...cereal, bagels, biscuits, and juice. Although they did offer warm gravy (kept in a crock pot), to go along with their biscuits. Overall, especially for the price, we had a good stay and things were very clean! The staff was very friendly as well!

We enjoyed all of the conveniences located on the exit with the hotel. There is a Cracker Barrel right across the street (very good and clean as well!). Also, the Hamilton Place Mall is just down the road along with plenty of other restaurants to choose from! This exit is probably the BEST place to stay in Chattanooga! You dont have to drive all over to find places to shop and eat... it's all right there near your hotel!

• Stayed March 2006