“Dirty Dirty Dirty room...and bad HHonors experience”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chattanooga/Hamilton Place
Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I booked a fireplace suite at this hotel about a month and a half in advance of my stay, and requested a crib and extra towels and pillows, upon arrival. I noticed before my stay that I had accidentally booked a smoking room, so the day before my reservation, I looked on-line to make sure there were still non-smoking fireplace suites available. There were. I called and spoke to a young lady on the phone, who was able to re-book me, but she told me she could not give me a fireplace suite, only a regular suite (not exactly sure why). I checked again before I arrived at the hotel, and there were still fireplace suites available. when I arrived, I questioned it again (because I had pre-paid for the more expensive fireplace suite) and was told there was nothing else available. Not that big of a deal, although I'm not sure why I had to be down-graded just because I requested a non-smoking room (that was actually cheaper than the one I had already paid for). I have been a HHonors gold/diamond member for about 7 years mind you. I reminded them about the crib upon check-in, then we went to the room. after we arrived in the room, we were told that they had no cribs (although I had requested mine upon my original reservation, a month and a half in advance). So now, I had to put together a make-shift bed for my 2 year old to sleep on, using the couch cushions from the sleeper sofa (which my 2 oldest boys slept on), the coffee table, and the chair. (the end-result was actually pretty impressive, I must say). My biggest disappointment in this room, was the lack of cleanliness (room 422). When my kids got out of the shower and were walking around the room, they stepped on the white bath rug, and left black footprints. Gross. The following morning, my 4 year old son comes in stating that he found a cup of hot chocolate on the window. It was actually a half cup of coffee on the window sill from a previous visitor. Again-Gross. Thankfully, my 2 year old didn't find it. The only thing that we appreciated at this hotel was the breakfast and very friendly breakfast staff.

Room Tip: I"m not sure how to help. Hopefully they will start cleaning the rooms a little better. If you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank david21177
SallyOursler, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chattanooga/Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear David21177,
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of your room including the shower and room itself were of concern to you. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. In addition, I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding your room assignment. As a HHonors member we appreciate your loyalty to our brand and I will make sure to take your feedback to improve our hotel experience for all our guests. I thank you for your business and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed here a few times, the last visit for four nights. The fourth floor seems to be for smokers since that floor smells like cigarette smoke. The carpet in the rooms and hallways looks more worn than the 3rd floor. I usually get a top floor to avoid overhead noise but I chose 3rd floor this trip because the air is fresher. The room was a one bedroom suite with a fireplace so the extra space was nice. However the fireplace did not work and I could hear the water running above me throughout my stay.

The staff is courteous and the breakfast and meals at night always look appetizing but I don't eat at hotel because of business functions elsewhere. There is a day spa right across the street if you need a massage or skin/hair care services. The hotel is right off of shallowford road and I 75 so everything is nearby including hamilton place mall. The fitness center is small but if you are really motivated there is a Rush fitness center nearby--complimentary use with the room key.

The biggest complaint and a reason that I would not return is a lack of a printer in the business center. That might not be important to other travelers but to me it is a main concern since I print out my daily agendas as they change. And it is just not a last minute service issue--the printer has never worked-it is dusty and has on out of order sign on it. The staff will offer you their printer behind the desk but that is a hassle. I travel every week and this is one of the rare hotels that do not seem to care about having a functioning printer for business travelers.

Also, I did run out of toothpaste this morning. They had none to give me or to even sell me--not even mouthwash. (they do not offer complimentary amenities like razors, shower caps, etc, I was told by two folks at the front desk.) Again another first--i normally don't ask but other hotels usually have these items when requested.

In a pinch, I would stay here again because it is affordable and a great, safe location. But since there are many other hotel brands within view of my room I will probably try other hotels for future visits.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ResortSpaLady
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here for three nights whilst visiting Civil War sites in area. Hotel is just off the freeway so easy access - but no noise from vehicles apparent.

Check-in was very good receptionist very helpful and asked if we needed any information about local area. Room was excellent on high floor at the end of a corridor so nice and quiet. Good internet reception and very comfortable bed.

Breakfast every morning was adequate although staff had to be prompted quite a bit to replenish dishes. Evening meal on Monday was good and plenty of it plus wine and beer.

Only drawback was no shuttle bus at hotel - the very large Hamilton Place Mall is just the other side of the freeway My husband went off one day to meeting and I went to the Mall |(he dropped me off) but a taxi back cost $20(only mile and half away) - a shuttle pick-up would be a good idea - especially as there are numerous restaurants in the Mall area - a shuttle would mean not having to rely on someone not drinking all night.

Swimming pool was good although it goes into shade at about 3pm - good hot tub.

Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent service from the staff. The room is very spacious and comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The complimentary breakfast and dinners are pretty good. The hotel is in an area that hasanything you need with a couple miles.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

You've got to love Homewood Suites, definately one of my favorite chains!! The suite was extremely clean and comfortable with lots of room to spread out. The bed was one of the best we've had (believe me, my spouse is picky), the entire staff was ultra friendly and professional, and the location was ideal for us. The manager's reception is always a welcome treat and in this case it was superior. Recommend you not wait until right before 7:00 p.m. to eat as the good stuff does go quickly. Breakfast had a lot of variety and was different every morning of our three night stay. Hotel is within easy driving distance of most attractions and has lots of restaurants in the area for evenings when there is not a manager's reception.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I definitely recommend this hotel because of very comfortable room and nice service. I was positively suprised when I entered to the room and saw an open kitchen, living room and bedroom. In addition they serve great breakfast and lunches for free. Even though it is no so close to the downtown, I will stay over this place next time too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We enjoyed our recent Anniversary here on Aug 18-21 and was very impressed with the place overall. Great complimentary breakfast & dinner (Chicken & Shrimp )along with a nice quiet pool and excellent maid service (Tewandia). The only issue we had was trying to convince the hotel we were staying there on points and cash. Sally Oursler (mgr) explained how reservations worked and made our stay even more enjoyable.We'll definitely stay here on future visits to Chattanooga.

Room Tip: Choose a pool view on 4th floor for privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple