“Hotel staff was wonderful with my children”

Residence Inn Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #32 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I have three small children who are good but quiet rowdy! Almost everytime one of the staff passed us they either said something to the children about something fun they had for them or if they saw a need we had they did whatever to meet that need - without us asking! They went out of their way to make this a pleasurable trip for us. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 17, 2010

This hotel is top notch. The staff was superb in customer service. We checked in earlier than check in time was and they worked hard to give us a room. The rooms were spotless and very spacious. The parking lot is with the building and secured nicely. You have to drive up to a gate/arm which opens with your room key. The pool was spacious with plenty of towels and chairs. Their patio was very pleasant with a fire place, grill, and plenty of tables. It was located in front where you can watch people and cars go by. Walking distance of the aquarium, lookout stadium and plenty of restaurants make this a excellent location. It's also across from the carta bus stop. I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at this Residence Inn and left 5 days early. I had my credit card number stolen and my wife had money stolen out of her wallet. Read the other posts that where they had things stolen also. Our rooms were not cleaned, even after 5 requests. My daughter threw up on the floor and they refused to clean it. The breakfast was awful and when the food ran out an hour early they just stopped serving. Then the manager had the nerve to tell me that I was lying and that our rooms were cleaned.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
aande755, Operations Manager at Residence Inn Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

April 16, 2010

Dear honestreview23,

Thank you for visiting our property and providing valuable feedback and comments.

I’m sorry to learn that you had some issues with the staff and amenities at our hotel. We are working very closely with our Breakfast Staff in order to provide improved service in that arena. As far as our dealings with the other staff members, please rest assured knowing that we have dealt with this head on, and we are doing absolutely everything to help prevent a similar situation from occurring again.

We here at the Residence Inn by Marriott strive to provide “Service So Memorable”, and I realize that we missed the mark with you. I would like to make sure that you next stay with us is as memorable as possible.

Please contact me directly with any questions and to make your next reservation with us.

At Your Service,

Chris Young
Operations Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott
Downtown Chattanooga, TN
423.266.0600

Reviewed December 29, 2009

We stayed at this property the week of Christmas because I had a medical procedure in the area. It is hard for me to describe our experience with the property. We travel about 6 months out of the year and I have never wrote a single bad review but this place was so exceptionally bad that I thought I better warn other travelers. We checked into the property and were asked if we had a car. I told the lady we did not have one and did not need a parking pass. Several minutes later the lady handed me a packet with keys, etc and I noticed a parking pass. I told the girl, again, that we didn't have a car so she took the pass out of the packet and gave the packet back to me. There were complications to my medical procedure and we had to extend both rooms for one day. A day later I had to check into the hospital in a different part of town and my wife and daughter wanted to be closer to the hospital. When they checked out they noticed that we had been charged $7.00 per day for parking. My wife explained that this was incorrect and it took 20 minutes to get the charges reversed. After she got moved to the new motel she noticed that two Christmas presents had been left in our room. We called the next day, assuming that we didn't have to worry about someone stealing our gifts, it was Christmas after all. The person my wife talked to assured us they would check and we when called back later that day we learned that no property was turned in by maid service. Late that nite when my wife and daughter returned to the new hotel my wife got on line to pay our credit card bill. She noticed that we had been charged for both rooms, the day after they checked out. We called again and my wife could only get a refund for one room and not for both. Can you imagine that? We had to negotiate the return of one night room stay and were not even in the hotel!!! Well to top all of this off the my wife was just going through her dirty cloths and discovered that she had a pair of expense jeans missing. I was a cop for 25 years before retirement and I can believe that maybe no one stolen the presents but they got misplaced. However, when the $150 stolen jeans were discovered missing it became very clear to me that this property has a thief working for them. I will call the property and will told that the jeans and presents were not stolen and I know that there is nothing that I can do about it except make other travelers aware so they can avoid the place. They will say it was not stolen and I will say it was and that will be the end of the story. I don't want anything free from them, I don't want a phone call from them, I just will no longer spend my money with them.

The food was horrible and the rooms nasty. I can live with that but I can not stand thieves. This was a points stay so you know I am a very regular customer of the Marriott brand, so maybe I should say I WAS a very regular customer.

My wife and daughter moved to the Double Tree and they did have a thing stolen!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lawlak
Reviewed December 4, 2009

A beautiful hotel in an ideal location, sadly marred by poor management. I travel frequently, my hotel of choice is Residence Inn, and I've stayed at many. I really like the chain and it's unfortunate that incompetent management detracts from this fine property.

My family and I stayed for two nights (the day before Thanksgiving, and Thanksgiving) before moving to the Residence Inn Hamilton Place (also in Chattanooga) for our last two nights. Three days before our arrival, I called the hotel to see if they would be having evening refreshments on the nights of our stay (this location offers hors d'oeuvres and soda/beer Monday-Thursday) and, if so, to make room reservations. We would be arriving after dark on Wednesday and didn't want to have to search for a restaurant, and we weren't sure what restaurants would be open the next night, on Thanksgiving. The hotel assured us that they would be having social hour on both nights, so we made our reservations.

At check-in on Wednesday, the front desk reiterated that the social hour would begin in a few minutes, at 5:30 pm. When we went back down to the lobby shortly afterwards, the manager told us that he had cancelled it. When I asked why, he said that it was The Day Before Thanksgiving (TDBT), the hotel was nearly full, and it was too much work for the staff.

Hmmmm... As far as I know TDBT is not a holiday, and even if it was, many people travel on holidays! I reluctantly asked about the Thanksgiving social hour and, you guessed it, he cancelled that one too. When I told him that his front desk told us differently, twice, he offered to send someone out to buy a box of crackers. I'm not kidding!

If the manager wanted to avoid working holidays, even fictitious holidays like TDBT, he shouldn't be in the service industry. If you want to make it easy on the staff, close the hotel!! If you are going to be open during holidays, you should provide the services that have been paid for. Why punish the guests?

Oddly, they did offer breakfast the next morning (Thanksgiving), but there was far less variety and the food was of worse quality than most other RIs. Disappointing. Friday morning's breakfast was of equally poor variety and quality and it appeared to be the leftovers from Thursday! Again, I'm not kidding!

The manager also issued notices on TDBT that housekeeping services would be provided on Thursday, but only for limited-hours. Fine with me, until I discovered that they didn't give us new towels or toiletries! There were only three bath towels to begin and the shampoo was gone the first day! No big deal though -- I got more shampoo from the front desk and towels from the pool.

But these miserly practices and petty inconveniences quickly became annoying because they were everywhere you turned, and were always at the expense of the guest. Motel 6-quality toilet paper. Small toiletries, with no lotion. Only the very small bars of soap. Continually empty coffee, cocoa, and tea dispensers. No social hours. Poor breakfast. $7 parking, when the hotel next door was $4. No newspaper delivery. Hot water that operated only at a t-r-i-c-k-l-e (if you use a razor, plan to rinse it in cold water). On and on and on...

The location of this hotel is perfect, but what could be a gem is spoiled by mismanagement. There is a Hilton Garden Inn directly next door and a Courtyard across the street that I would recommend instead. Skip this place until they make some corrections.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GatorNation
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This hotel is very nice. The interior decor is very contemporary and the building exterior is upkept very well. The hotel is located in the downtown area so you have to have a room key to get access into the hotel which is very good for safety purposes. The Front Desk Clerks were very nice and helpful. The breakfast was good. The room was very nicely decorated, kitchen had stainless steel appliances, flat screen TV was a big plus. It felt like my home away from home. The hotel is convenient to local attractions (next door to the IMAX, 1 block from the Aquarium, 2 blocks from the river boats, in front of the Lookout Baseball Stadium, 2 blocks from the movie theater). There are several restaurants in the area so you'll never go hungry. I love that the hotel had an indoor pool and whirlpool. The hotel was very quiet even though there were quite a few guests staying there. I will return to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My family had a quick overnight trip to Chattanooga. After looking at all of our options, we decided to pay a little more for the convenience. We were not disappointed. This was my second stay at a Residence Inn, and the second time I am writing a review. The hotel was very clean and the front desk was excellent. When leaving, the girl at the desk gave my daughter a coloring book and crayons, which she carried all through the aquarium with her. The room was nice. Had a studio suite, and thought it was perfect size. The $7 to park was not bad at all, and was charged to the room. The location is perfect. The baseball stadium is behind the hotel, the childrens museum is next door, and the imax and aquarium are less than 2 blocks away. The breakfast was good. Always love the make your own waffle station.

The only minor complaints were the slow internet connection on the lobby computer and the light or lack thereof in the bathroom.

Other than those, it was a perfect stay and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family