“Beware of this hotel. They will stick you in a smoking room.”

Wingate by Wyndham Chattanooga
Ranked #10 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Knoxville, TN
“Beware of this hotel. They will stick you in a smoking room.”
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We should have expected problems when we pulled up at the front door and found two overflowing trash cans.

We booked through Hotwire. Bad mistake. We were assigned a smoking room and told no other rooms were available and all the other hotels were full. A flight attendant put there for the night had the same problem.

Front-desk staff untrained and ill-equipped to handle problems. No resolution from Hotwire staff after 20 minutes of discussion. Are you reading this, Ryan?

"Is Hotwire satisfied that we have received nothing for our money, can't get a refund, that we will never use Hotwire again, and will tell our friends the same?"

"Yes, we are."

Finally, Reagan at the front desk lied to us about other rooms in the area. A nearby Hampton Inn was able to accommodate us and had plenty of rooms available.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eaaesq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
alabama
Reviewed October 16, 2009

It was hard to find a place to stay for our vacation that allowed smoking. When we came across Wingate they had smoking rooms. We took it. I didn't know what to expect. The staff was very friendly.The room was cleaned daily with clean towels and sheets,which I expected the towels but not the sheets.Didn't realy expect the bed to be made every day,but it was.The breakfast bar was neet and kept clean,with a varity of food to chose from. If we go back to the area I would not hesatate to stay at Wingate again. It defently made my first visit to Chattanooga a more pleasureable trip.
The Carrs

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Stayed 2 nights at the end of June for a business trip. It is in a nice, safe area just off I-75 and close to several restaurants and a mall. Speedy check in and check out. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room and hotel overall- absolutely spotless. Breakfast was just ok- standard continental fare. My only complaint is that the internet was a little slow, however I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This is a very nice hotel. My husband & I stayed for three nights while in town for a wedding. Our room was very clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and had nice soft bedding. The breakfast was good and had a nice variety of items. All staff members were friendly and helpful during our stay.
The hotel has a convenient location near I-75 but without the traffic noise. It is also very close to a large shopping mall and other activies.
The business center was also nice, although not there on business, I did use it to research a few stops for our trip.
Overall this is a very nice hotel, and with wyndhams promotions, can be very affordable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
Reviewed March 10, 2009

I have been staying at this motel for over 6 years on business trips to Chattanooga. I travel the state of Tennessee and some into Georgia and NC and of all the different chains and motels that I have stayed in (except for a couple of Luxury Hotels) the Wingate in Chattanooga is my favorite place to stay! After only my second stay, the desk clerk greeted me by name when I entered the door! The staff is great and the owners/managers are terriffic. Unlike other motels even others in the Wingate chain, I never have to wipe off the tables or bath counter when I arrive. They never leave polish residue all over the phone and tables like other motels. No left over food or trash hidding behind the furniture! The biggest problem I have ever had was a burned out light blub or TV remote that was on the blink, and those were fixed very quickly. The towels are nice and thick and the beds very comfortable. I do like the recently upgraded bed system. This motel would be perfect if I could just get them to change out the standard desks with an ergonomic computer desk, but the ones they have are no worse than what you find at all the other chains. Oh, and I also like the Neutrogena bath amenities.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Hamburg
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I chose this hotel mainly because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor and I didn’t regret it. Of course, primarily used to staying at bed & breakfasts, a chain hotel is always something different. This is slightly above average but not exceptional in any way for the room rate paid. Nevertheless, the room was spacious, clean, and comparable quiet. You cannot open the windows but the ac is not too noisy. Breakfast was o.k., the breakfast area is a bit “loveless” but this is not untypical for chain hotels so you would expect nothing different when staying here. The staff at the reception was friendly but not too helpful. The guy at the reception wasn’t able to locate places downtown on the map what you would expect in a local hotel with lots of tourists.

If you plan to choose this hotel as a tourist, you must be aware of the following fact: This is not in walking distance to Chattanooga downtown, it’s about a 10 miles drive. If you want to go to the waterfront, you can park your car at the parking garage of Chattanooga Choo Choo and they have a charge free shuttle that takes you to the waterfront. So no problem to us but again, you need to know it because you most likely would like to go downtown. The area of the hotel is not very nice, basically only streets, fast-food restaurants, business. Definitely no area to leave your hotel or to take a walk.

So even if I rate a bit against the current, I would classify this hotel as good choice and o.k., but no exceptional experience for the rate paid.

Please note: This is a review of our trip to the USA from 18.5.2008 until 9.6.2008.
This was accommodation # 2 of that trip
If you want to follow the trip, the hotel/bed&breakfast before this was Laurel Hill Bed and Breakfast, Atlanta (GA), the hotel/bed&breakfast after this was Braeside Inn, Sevierville (TN)

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Farmington Hills, MI
Reviewed May 15, 2008

A very nice, well located hotel, good breakfast, free Internet, friendly staff, etc. Near lots of shopping & restaurants. However, we are used to a "sleep-number" bed set at 90. They are proud of their new "pillow top" beds. For us, they are much too soft to sleep comfortably. We mentioned this to the front desk and they said that all of the beds had very recently been replaced at this property and all Windham hotels.

I just wish that I had known this so I could have stayed elsewhere. That's why I'm posting this review.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)