“Not a bad place to spend a rainly afternoon!”
Review of Tennessee Aquarium

and up
1-Hour Chattanooga Duck Boat Tour
Ranked #6 of 152 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 9,000 animals swim, fly and crawl through this aquarium dedicated to educating visitors about freshwater ecosystems.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It had been about 20 years since I had been to the aquarium, and nothing had really changed. It was clean and the exhibits are easy to view. Not too much interaction with anything, but it was a way to spend a rainy afternoon. The parking is 9.00 which I thought was a bit on the high side, but we were able to park in the lot right in front of the building.

1  Thank PCagle4
Write a ReviewReviews (5,912)
All reviews
in 60 reviews
"own pace"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Tennessee Aquarium is divided into two buildings, one for ocean life and another for river life. The main tank in the ocean section has a nice variety of different life including sharks, rays, and sea turtles. The most well done exhibit however, is the jellyfish. The lighting, displays and mirrors (be careful you don't walk into them by accident) give it an almost atherial feeling. The river life section's main attraction (this is before the otter exhibit opened) is a display of river "monsters" including very large gar and catfish. If you can, follow the keepers during feeding time as the animals really come alive (well, some of them do)

At $9, parking is a little steep, considering its $25 for admission. The tank show was tough to hear over the screams of children (not the aquarium's fault but disappointing nevertheless) even though there are signs posted everywhere asking you to be quiet. If you can, go during a non-tourist season or as early or late in the day as possible.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My sister, nephew (age 6), and I made this day trip from Nashville on New Year's Eve. We had a great time. It's been about 15 years since I visited the Aquarium, but this was their first visit. We parked right next to the Aquarium and paid the $9 to park. There is other parking around the site but this seemed the most convenient.

I like the way they have the entire thing layed out. You take esculators to the top of the buildings and then walk down ramps all the way down until you get back to the bottom. So no stairs! They also have benches along the way where you can just sit and rest or watch the fish. There were several restrooms in both buildings.

There's so much to see and you need to take your time and really enjoy it. We started off in the Ocean's Aquarium. This was our favorite side. We saw a show where there were divers in the water and they talked about everything we were seeing. The jellyfish exhibit was something that my nephew enjoyed a lot. I would count on spending more time in the Ocean's.

The next building we went to was the River/Fresh Water Aquarium. This is the side that I remember visiting before and it hadn't changed much. Lots of fish, turtles, other wildlife. Again a great exhibit.

We spent about 4 hours going through the entire aquarium. My nephew never got bored, which is telling! Well worth it and I think we'll come back again when the weather is warmer and we can explore outside as well.

1  Thank Sherri1062
Reviewed January 1, 2014

On a rainy cold day in October this was the perfect activity. My children ages 8, 9, 12 and 18 all had good time, lots to see and learn even touched a snake, lizard, and shark. If you are there when its hot the flooded stairs are a hoot, we did that in July.