“Wonderful Place”

and up
Historic Downtown Chattanooga Segway Tour
Ranked #1 of 148 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 9,000 animals swim, fly and crawl through this aquarium dedicated to educating visitors about freshwater ecosystems.
Atlanta, Georgia
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Wonderful Place”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great aquarium. Particularly enjoyed the seahorse exhibit. Lots of different fish and reptiles are on display. Have visited a few times over the past 10 years and always enjoy the experience.

• Korean first
Bluffton, South Carolina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Beyond Expectations, A Chattanooga Must See”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Even though visiting museums/aquariums is not on the top of our list, this aquarium is not to be missed. The over-600,000 gallon saltwater tank in the Ocean Journey Building with multi-level viewing areas was amazing; be sure to see the feeding times of sharks and stingrays. We spent a total of 5 hours between the two buildings. Penguins, flying squirrels, river otters, turtles, ducks, snakes, stingray touch pool, and a butterfly garden, to name a few!; entertaining and educational; a must see.

Warner Robins, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Is the Backstage Tour Worth It?”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This past Saturday (October 6th) was my second trip to the Tennessee Aquarium. The last time was over 15 years ago, so I was mostly going in with fresh eyes. We did the Backstage Pass tour of the River Journey side as well, so you'll get two reviews here.

On the general side of the aquarium, I enjoyed the Ocean Side much more than the Journey side. The butterflies, sharks, and penguins are much more memorable and enjoyable than a huge tank of catfish. So in the end, it was just average when all added up.

I was also disappointed that they have stopped carrying some of the finer-quality souvenirs that I remember them having. I had bought a tiny crystal turtle on my long-ago visit while wishing I could afford some of the more expensive things there. Since I had more money on this visit, I was looking forward to finally getting one of these souvenirs. Too bad almost everything they have now is commercialized junk.

As for the Backstage pass tour, it started off well, but had turned for the worse by the end. On the plus side, our tour guides were friendly and funny and we got to see the food prep area and feed the otters. On the negative side, the elevator was broken and we had to navigate 4+ floors of steps, the otter area was crowded to begin with and our 15-person tour group was forced to try and navigate the crowd for the chance to feed them, and the part of the tour of the pump room was too noisy to hear a word. If the elevator was working, the otter area blocked off for a couple of minutes for the tour group, and the speech of the pump room given before you entered it, this would have been a superb tour. As it was, I would have passed on it given another chance.

Saint Louis, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Don't Pass This One Up”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We really enjoyed our trip to the Aquarium. Be sure to wear walking shoes as there is a lot to see. There are two buildings and you see both for the entry fee. My favorite section was the seahorses. There were beautiful. The exhibits are nicely arranged and easy to progress through. You will see ocean exhibits, local Tennessee exhibits and exhibits from various places in the world. If you take a break for lunch there are many restaurants to walk to and there is a large parking lot in front of the Aquarium. Admission to the Aquarium is around $25 and parking was $9. No flash pictures of the tanks of fish.

1 Thank JoMOtex
Paris, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Fishy”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

It was amazing. Enjoyed both the Salt water and Fresh water displays. Didn't look so big from the outside, but the designer sure knew how to display the underworld life.

Visited September 2012