“A little too scripted”

Ruby Falls
Ranked #9 of 152 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this thundering 145-foot underground waterfall, a natural wonder within scenic Lookout Mountain.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 8, 2007

Beautiful falls. The build-up to the moment you see the falls is a bit over dramatized. The formations are not as pretty as those in Raccoon Mountain. Don't miss the chance to go to the top of the castle and get a good look at the city at the end of the tour. If you go to Ruby Falls and Rock City, get the package deal and save a little cash.

12  Thank ernandcable
Write a ReviewReviews (5,256)

Reviewed January 29, 2007

It is too commercialized, way expensive and I was not sure if the falls were being fed by a electric pump or what. They only show you the falls for a few seconds and then turn off the lights in the cave so no one can figure it out! I think they get a lot of people because they advertise the hell out of this attraction and we tourists fall prey. Big waste of time and money.

9  Thank Camsi_Camsa
Reviewed November 12, 2006

RubY Falls was the most dissapointing attraction we visited on our vacation from PA. Upon being STUFFED into a elevator, with the most abnoxious,pretencious guide I ever met, we were transported down to the cave. Upon exiting the elevator, I was transported back to my navy boot camp days. ie: Follow me, Stand in Line Do not Move Do Not Touch . Wait Wait Wait. This and apparently all Guides are in need of a new job, or a lot more time off work. Our guide thought he was a comedion ALL the time. He treated us like he was doing a favor for being there. The Clinchler was when finally leaving thew cave, on the way up in the cramped elevator, there was a pre-recorded message thanking us for visiting. Our Comedian tour guide repeated to the cattle(US) word for word what the message was saying. How CHILDLESS. These guides are in GREAT NEED of extra Training. Please visit ROCK CITY, nearby and get treated as a human being instead of a head of cattle. The cave was AWFUL, The Guides TERRIBLE, and I wasted alot of my precious vacation on this place. Also You have NO CHOICE on the manadtory picture upon entering. PLEASE SAY NO

11  Thank Generalhoover
Reviewed October 18, 2006

My family and I were very excited to see Ruby Falls. We went in October on a cold rainy day. It was not very crowed at all but once you see the waterfall that's it. I could not wait to get back above ground. The 1/2 mile treck to the waterfalls took forever. Stopping to look at cave formations they named with big lit up signs. After 3-4 of these it gets kinda boring. It is extremely commercialized. When you start out you are 640 ft below ground, but you are walking into the moutain which is growing above you so by the time you get to the falls, you are 1000 ft below ground.

The falls do not photograph well with a normal camera. Looks like I took a photo of my shower and the light show was really lame. The guide was pretty funny though.

12  Thank romachica
Reviewed October 16, 2006

We felt like cattle for the 2 hours we were there. The caves were in terrible shape, most of the formations were broken off years ago. The falls were okay, but about as touristy as you can get. They have a light and sound show at the falls that was a little cheesy. Unless you've never seen a cave before and this is your only chance before you die save your money and go to Rock City. That was the only sight in the area worth seeing!

9  Thank landslide