“Great Place”

Ruby Falls
Ranked #28 of 152 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this thundering 145-foot underground waterfall, a natural wonder within scenic Lookout Mountain.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I agree with the ones that state they enjoyed it even though some people placed a negative on their visit. I live in SC and this is where I took my then girlfriend to her first real out of town trip. That was 14 years ago and we are married now. We are planning a trip there with our children and grandson soon. Everyone gets something different from their visit. Where is an attraction without lines and costly prices? No where that I am aware of. So take the family and go see this wonderful work of nature.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,382)
All reviews
in 66 reviews
in 637 reviews
in 449 reviews

Reviewed March 17, 2010

We arrived at Ruby Falls today at 9:30 a.m., got front door parking, and were able to catch a tour just starting. Our group had ~20 in it but all the groups that we passed behind us had more ~40 in them. With such a small group, we moved pretty fast through the tour. The pace seemed about right. My boys 10 & 6 enjoyed spotting the next formation. You don't stay very long at the falls - a few minutes longer there would be nice. Our tour guide Doug did a nice job of pointing things out and kept the cheesy tourism comments to a minimum. Expect your typical tourist trap things - they take your picture when you start the tour and hit you up for $20+ at the end, the tour ends surprisingly through the gift shop, etc.
We enjoyed the falls and would say it is worth a stop if you haven't done before.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

2-hour-drive from Atlanta, maybe ok attraction for kids but wouldn't recommend to adults that have seen other caves. We visited in September and it was very crowded. They put us in the group with 30 other people and made us wait every 50 feet, so another group can pass, coming out. We could touch one dead stalagmite. The limestone cave is quite mediocre. Only a small area is accessible to public. The cave ends with waterfall. The guide turns button on, the light show starts, you have 5 minutes to walk around and take pictures and then it gets pitch black. The show consists off music and changing lights over waterfall, which is nice but half of it looks like it was carved by humas.

2  Thank sk_denny
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I live in chattanooga and have been many times. I have noticed that almost all of the negative reviews are from people who went in the summer. DUH!!!!! Geez I have news for all of you, if you don't want to wait in a line, then DO NOT GO TO ANY tourist attraction in the SUMMER!!!! Don't complain to the people who work there about the line, I've worked at tourist attractions before and the last thing we want to hear after having to work our butts off to try to keep the place running smoothly, is someone to complain about how long they've had to wait. Try waiting there all day long. If you don't want to wait, then go in the fall through late spring. The waterfall gets bigger after a rain so if you want to see a bigger waterfall I recommend going on a rainy day. It isn't one of the prettiest caves but the waterfall is very beautiful.

1  Thank followinghim
See more reviews
Reviewed November 28, 2009

My wife, two kids and I went to Ruby Falls and we loved it. I doubt that we will go again, but it was great. We got at least two "wows" out of our kids.

The cave is like a cave that Disney would design. Safe, and full of lights and music (and lines). I am about the most impatient person in the world, but I did not think the waits were that bad. You must be prepared, however, to stop a few times on the way in the cave.

The formations in the cave are not spectacular, until you get to the falls. The falls were really cool. I could have done without the cheesy lights and music, but it was still cool.

5  Thank Litag8or