“Fantastic opportunity to view an underground waterfall in an enormous cave.”
Review of Ruby Falls

Ruby Falls
Ranked #9 of 152 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this thundering 145-foot underground waterfall, a natural wonder within scenic Lookout Mountain.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is worth a visit. It's a natural cave that has been modified to accommodate public access so the natural underground waterfall can be viewed by many. (capitalism at work) You can walk upright. A fast elevator takes you down 16 stories. Yes, it's one-way in and one-way out. What do you expect in a cave? You need to be able to walk just under a mile round trip. You must stand aside when an exiting group comes through. It's worth the walk. Be aware that being in crowded circumstances with a large group can be trying - not everyone shares the same level of education when it comes to good manners. Our guide was awesome, good at crowd management, informative and funny. Asked him questions about the cave, and he was happy to inform. Be sure to tip your tour guide!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,256)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My 15 year old daughter, wife and I toured Ruby Falls last week. Even though it was a hefty fee for the three of us we enjoyed our tour. Luray caverns are more beautiful as caverns go, Mammoth cave is more awesome ...but the falls are a truly singular sight. The cavern in which you see the falls is as impressive as the falls. The vaulted walls look almost too perfect but I chose not to question its geologic authenticity. You only get 7 minutes to view the falls and then you move on to make room for the next tour group. The orientation video was erratic and full of electronic glitches. Reminded me of my social studies teacher trying to show movies and having trouble. I usually avoid anything I suspect might be tourist trap...but after viewing it I would in no way categorize it as a tourist trap. It is a legitimate tourist experience....even though costly. Go enjoy it for what it is and do not overinflate expectations.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I would give this a solid good, but the entrance fee is too high ($20) the tour is too long (1.5 hours) and when you do get to the star of the show, it's good, but then you go back the way you came.

If it had been 30 minutes and cheaper, I would give it two thumbs up.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We purchased the combo ticket for rock city and the falls. Our tour guide (Andy) was awesome and alot of fun. The path was fine unless you pass another group going out. The falls at the end was really cool. I don't like tight places but did fine and my son was thrilled!

1  Thank Tanya S
Reviewed March 14, 2013

loved it even though I donot like close places.. I had visited before but I wanted to show to my husband of 3 years in 1994