“Used to be 'the place'”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Catfish Place
Cuisines: American
Description: http://www.superpages.com/bp/Camden-TN/Catfish-Place-L0067721351.htm
Reviewed March 4, 2014

During the many trips I made to Camden, TN to fish, this was always the 'go to' place for a good buffet which almost always had catfish and sometimes even frog legs.
Over the years it has changed hands. The last time I ate there I chose the buffet which was a mistake. The food had been sitting under the lights and the fish was dry and chewy. The other options were not great either. There is a salad bar and usually some type of dessert and an ice cream machine. After that experience I vowed I would not eat there again.
Despite my experiences, there are still many people who eat there. I think more for breakfast and for orders off the menu rather than the buffet. And of course it's a gathering place for the locals.
The restaurant options in this small town a few and far between. Other than the standard fast food places there isn't much. It's sad to think that these folks have never experienced good restaurants like those you find in the Chicago area. It is like living in a bubble of sameness.
In looking over other reviews, I can tell that the place has gone downhill.
I will not eat at the catfish place again. I suggest going to the Mexican place down the road. Fast service and always good food!

1  Thank DrJCool65

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My family and I ate here last week, and we really loved it. I had read that they no longer had their buffet bar during the week, but we went on a Wednesday and they had it. We ordered from the menu anyway, and their catfish plate lunch was really good. Plenty of good-size fish fillets with hushpuppies, 3 side orders, AND dessert included for less than $10. Service was quick and pleasant, too. It's a big place, so I'm sure they can easily accommodate large groups or meetings. We'd definitely eat there again if the opportunity arose. Only complaint was that they didn't have actual Tennessee River catfish (was on the menu), just the farm-raised stuff.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

For years I had gone to the Catfish Place, and it was well worth it each time. I wrote a review under here (older) where I said many nice things about the place, and I meant every word.
However, things have changed.
For one thing, the format is all different now. Monday - Thursday, the buffet bar is gone. Its only there now on Friday and Sunday. And its more expensive.
Saturday is their steak and seafood thing, which I will not comment on since I have never tried it and know nothing about price, content, or taste.
Friday morning has a Breakfast bar from what I am told, again, I have no idea as to if its good or not, the price I am told is $8 a person, and it is limited.

Well, there you go. Times are tougher, and the last of the old time places are being forced to give way to cut backs in order to survive.
Do I like any of this, NO. If I owned it I would have put a sign on the door explaining "its tough times, prices will go up a buck" and kept things the way they were.
But then again, I don't own it. Who knows, in a year the owners may see that they have made a mistake. Then again they may be out of business like so many other restaurants I have been to and seen lately.

Just wanted to come on here and warn everybody, this place is an unknown now. So if you go, please write a review and let us know what you think of the changes.
Thanks... and take care !!!

1  Thank Jack K
Reviewed October 21, 2012

the place needs a new manager and owner it was a total joke the worst fish i have ever eaten and the ower displayed the image of a mad white woman again the fish had more meal on it than there was fish all the orders were wrong we ordered sandwiches and we got everything but sandwiches my son order a steak sandwish ans fries and got a ribeye this is just an example also the manager was like a snapping turtle with her employees

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The short of this is, if you want great "home cooked" food at very, very affordable prices in a decent, clean place with good service: THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO !!!!!!

First of all, this is a family and friends kind of place. One thing you will notice about this place is that most of the people who come there are "regulars". Most know each other, and see each other there all the time. Its where the locals go, and where anyone in town would tell you the traveler to go.

Most importantly, The food is FANTASTIC !!!!! Pretty much any time you go there, there is a Buffet style bar going on. $5 - 8 (plus tax, drink and tip) per person, depending on day and time. You will find a salad bar, a soup or two, then a meat and veggie bar, and lastly a desert bar.
This could be anything from fried chicken to brisket, or meatloaf to chicken breasts and more.
There is almost always catfish on the bar, and mashed potatoes and gravy along with 2-3 veggies. Add pies and cakes and ice cream, cole slaw and rolls, and a pretty decent little salad bar and you have some good eats.
Of course all this is made in the back by the cooks, but doesnt taste a whole lot different than when mom made it years ago. Thats part of the secret to this place, and the reason people come back year after year.
Also, you will find a menu, if thats your thing, and you can order from it. Again, catfish and white beans may be the speciality here, but there is something for everyone. And you wont go away hungry in this place either.
Drinks are pretty much normal, sodas and tea. Prices are very reasonable, none of that almost $2 and up you see in the city. And the coffee is always good and hot.
This place opens early, call for hours if your up for breakfast.

About the place. The building is divided in two halves, the front, and the show area off to the side. In the old day, Thursday nights people from all over Tennessee would come play together up on stage for fun and it was often SRO. Dont know if they still do that, call and ask them to find out. When they did it was mostly country, country and western, and bluegrass. Alot of old, old honky tonk stuff, and backwoods mountain songs.
The place is clean, there is a TV, music, good lighting, small bathrooms, and great service. Enough waitresses to go around, they are always there with a smile and a refill. And they are always flitting about doing something somewhere (filling this, or bringing napkins, etc) so if you need one, just wave her down.

I was there about two weeks ago, in the after Church hours on a Sunday. On the bar was Catfish and hush puppies, Corn bread and rolls, Pot roast with gravy, potatoes, carrots, and such. Add fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, peas, and a few other things and you have one fully loaded bar !!!! Most importantly was the fact that everything was great tasting !!!!
The service was excellent. Our waitress was on the spot as soon as we sat down. She took drink orders and sides (like mustard or whatever) and had them back in scant minutes. We helped outselves to the bar and ate heartily. She popped back over 5-6 times for refills and whatever, and finally brought us a bill. The place was about 50-60% crowded at the time, and all of the food was fully stocked while we ate, no waiting or problems of any kind despite the number of people piling on their plates.

Travelers, this place "is what it is", a throwback to the past where food was good, abundant, and low cost. It has "homey value" written all over it in every way. If you are looking for great food and good service, by all means try The Catfish Place. Everyone else is, and I will probably see you there !!!!!! In the dictionary this is the picture next to "word of mouth".

2  Thank Jack K