“Pleasant Place”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Brentwood
VA
“Pleasant Place”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

This is a nice property, not too far off of I-65, in what appears to be an office district (lots of cars heading into the community in the AM and out in the PM). Downtown Nashville is 20 minutes to the north.

Check-in and out was easy. The room -- a studio -- was big enough for a solo traveler. There's a full-size fridge and a big microwave (free pack of popcorn provided), along with dishes and utensils. Groceries you can get at the Publix, Kroger or Harris Teeter, each of which is no more than a 5 minute drive (the ambitious could walk to Publix).

The fridge does, of course, run 24/7, so light sleepers might want to consider upgrading to a one-bedroom suite, to be able to shut the door on the noise. Also, you could hear the people upstairs walking in their room, so a top floor room might be a smart request. But, generally speaking, it was quiet (no street noise or rowdies).

Like other Candlewoods there's also the free washers & dryers and free DVD rentals, but no free breakfast. And, of course, there's no daily maid service, so if you must have someone come in once a day, no Candlewood property is for you.

All in all, a good place to stay, and certainly much better (and safer) than downtown Nashville.

• Liked — Large room with complete kitchen.
  • Disliked — Ceilings a little too thin.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank HonestReviewForU

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on a roadtrip, while visiting Nashville. Brentwood is a suburb and this hotel was located in a quiet business park. There's easy access to the major freeways. Candlewood is an extended stay hotel, so there is no daily housekeeping or continental breakfast. You can fix your own meals, buy some snack items in their "kitchen cubboard" ( a room with frozen and packaged foods), or drive a short distance to a wide variety of restaurants. The rooms are spacious with a small, well equipped kitchenette, hairdryer, iron/board, coffee maker, quality bedding and towels and comfortable bed. The office has DVDs and videos guests can check out for free.On Wednesday evenings the hotel serves pizza and soda to all guests, or barbecues outside. The night we were there the management brought in Papa John's Pizza. It was too hot outside or we might have eaten out on the patio with gazebo. There's a lovely pond within walking distance that has ducks, geese, and turtles. The area felt very safe. The hotel management were very friendly and helpful.
The only complaints we had were with the room AC (it had a rattle that we "fixed" by wedging some paper into the unit), the tv (the volume control wasn't working very well), someone had removed the battery to the smoke alarm and hadn't replaced it, and there was no business center available with internet. Most people staying there brought their own laptops, we were told, yet the Candlewood advertising in the room said there was supposed to be a "business room" with computer and printer available. We wanted to book our flights home online and ended up finding a Nasville library that let us use their computer.
We would stay there again, especially for the price (we only paid $58/night with our Entertainment book discount).

• Liked — Location, room, price
  • Disliked — No business center
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 1, 2007

This place was nice! we got in late, but they did have after hours check-in, which was nice. the price was very good. the room was like a mini efficiency apartment with kitchenette, tv, bathroom, large bed. very nice with modern decor and bedding.

Stayed July 2007
chicago
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I stayed at this hotel four nights while working in Nashville. I arrived late in the evening on the first night. The "non-smoking" room smelled like a dirty ashtray and the carpet in front of the AC unit was soaked. There was a huge puddle of standing water extending about four to five feet out from the unit. The room temperature could not be adjusted and it was freezing. I was forced to open the windows to get some warm air in the room. The rooms have a motion sensing "energy saving thermostat". It is supposed to go off if no one is in the room and cannot be adjusted by the occupant of the room. The one in my room ran full blast 24/7. The room temperatue was about 50 degrees. I insisted on being moved to another room the next morning. The next room was just as cold and also smelled like an ashtray, but at least the carpet was dry. The room appeared reasonably clean but the hotel hallways were stuffy and had a funky, rank odor. The TV remote didn't work. I have stayed at Candlewood Suites before, so was very disappointed. I dreaded coming back to this hotel after working all day.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank rubyjewel42
somewhere on a lumpy mattress
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Turning in for my first night of a multiple-day stay at Candlewood Suites, I went searching for the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign to hang on my door, but couldn’t find one.

When I returned from business the next day, I found out why: there’s no one to disturb you. For all practical purposes, there is no housekeeping. My room was exactly as I’d left it: bed a mess, towels on the floor, dirty glassware and utensils in the sink.

The table card says “Candlewood has been carefully designed to especially meet the needs of longer stay guests.” They should add to that, “...and mom says clean up your room!” Want new towels? Just lug the dirty ones down to the front desk and we’ll exchange them for you. Ditto for sheets and pillowcases.

I don’t know how competitive Candlewood may be in their other 100+ locations, but here in
Maryland Farms, a newish business development on the west side of I-65 in Brentwood, Tennessee, there are at least half a dozen other suites-type hotels, and Candlewood’s rates are attractive in a comparison.

As for the room itself, well, there’s nothing specifically wrong with any one part of it. The kitchen half has a faux-wood floor, and the bedroom half sports a bland, faux-tweed carpet. There’s a recliner chair, a work desk, a dresser with a Philips tv and VCR/DVD player atop, a nightstand, and a plain-jane queen bed with one flimsy blanket and two lumpy little pillows.

The kitchen is the high point, nicely appointed with full size refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, electric stovetop, pots, pans, dishes, glasses and utensils. They should have spent less on the kitchen and more on the mattress. The bathroom is utilitarian and clean (until you dirty it up), with the bare minimum of toiletries.

On the main floor is a decent gym, an honor-system snack store, and a DIY laundry. Videos and books are available at the front desk. The staff was friendly and competent.

My only specific complaint would be about the in-wall AC/heating unit, which was very noisy and inefficient. My overall complaint - apart from the “clean your own damned mess” philosophy - is the general blandness of the room. It looked and felt like how I’ve always imagined a top-shelf room in Bucharest at the height of the Cold War might look and feel: drab and cheerless.

As a frequent business traveler, I am used to more in terms of ambiance, comfort, and especially housekeeping. These would seem to be the three things a “longer stay guest” might desire, don’t you think?

Again, nothing specifically horrible about my stay, but so long as there are other options nearby, it will be my last at a Candlewood Suite.

Stayed May 2007
Alabama
Reviewed December 10, 2006

The Candlewood Suites are off the beaten path in a business area -- a bit difficult to find the first time, but worth the hunt. They have remodeled and the overall stay is quite nice and especially great for the price. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There is a mini kitchen in each room.

• Liked — The price and location
  • Disliked — Beds could be softer and pillows a bit fluffier
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a turn-by-turn map the first time going here
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Whizzz46
Maryville
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I loved this place! We got a GREAT rate because we did Advance Purchase, which meant no refunds or anything, but we knew we weren't going to cancel unless for medical reasons or something. We arrived in our room and what do you know but the guy at the front desk was from our town! We had nice conversation and reminiscing with him, then got our keys and went to our room and dropped everything and then headed back downstairs to go out to eat. He suggested a GREAT restaurant (Fulin's!) and we had a great time. The room, yeah, they don't clean them every day, but we can make our own bed up. We switched out towels twice, which was easy enough, and we did laundry twice also. The free laundry was great. I even walked on the treadmill while my laundry, my FREE laundry, washed and dried.

The room was comfortable. We brought all sorts of food and intended to cook, and could have really whipped up some nice fancy stuff with the nice kitchen they had, but we were TOO LAZY and ate out every night. But they have all the utensils and cookware and everything provided.

I want to go to Nashville again just so that I can stay here again! I like the fact that the doors were interior doors and not just doors that opened to the outside.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The location and the price
  • Disliked — Nothing I suppose. It would have been nice to have a pool but I knew it didn't have one when I booked it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Uh, only that we did Advance Purchase and saved a ton of $$!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple